• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Temporarily unable to load OR shoot! :(

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
2 weeks ago, I had what I thought was a relatively minor fall off my bicycle, that dislocated a finger, swoll my hand up like crazy, and left lots of scrapes and brusies to heal. No big deal I thought. The ER doctor figured 2 weeks to heal and I'd be good to go.

Today, during a recovery period examination, the orthopedic surgeon became concerned and had more x-rays done, as the swelling was still very bad and I am getting a lot of pain when trying to sue the hand.

Turns out, I've been walking around for 2 weeks with a fracture that was misssed during the viewing of the first x-rays, and has become more prominent now (the bone moved during the 2 weeks). Now, its hand surgery first thing Monday morning, and no shooting, biking, or reloading for SIX WEEKS!

The surgeon said not to try to do stuff, as that risks hurting the fracture again, where he will pin it in its proper place Monday.

I am totally bummed.

Can a person survive for 6 weeks without shooting OR reloading???

Jim G

Re: Temporarily unable to load OR shoot! :(

that sucks, sounds like a good time to get the ole lady trained up on reloading, then when your recovered youll be stock piled on ammo
wink.gif

Oh man. That sucks so bad. I hope for a quick recovery so we can see you back out at the range again!

If the LMT and TRG could talk, they'd definitely be complaining of abandonment : )

Speedy recovery Jim!

You think no shooting is bad........

Wait till you try and wipe yer a$$
laugh.gif
cry.gif

NEVER, EVER use your primary hand to break a fall, EVER! Cover your head it's more important.

Cheers,

Doc

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Hey, maybe you should have asked us to evaluate your bike riding techniques instead of your shooting positions.
smile.gif

Get better Jim, I was wondering where you were, in the mean time shoot 22lr pistol weak handed.

I'm just going back to work Monday.First time since 1/29/12.Broke the sacphoid bone in my wrist. Cast six weeks,therapy another five. Not writing this to scare you, my doctor didn't mention any time frame for therapy so I under etimated time off work.(checking/saving took big hit) Good luck in your recovery.

Did the same thing a couple years ago, except I pretty much shattered my ring finger on my left hand. Have to wear my wedding band on my right hand now because my knuckle is too big on my left. Luckily I got my ring off before it swelled up. When I got up from my bike crash it was obviously broken and pointing way to the side. I grabbed it and straightened it and heard bone crunch a little. Never thought I'd have to have surgery for a silly finger. My wife was like "YOUR GOING!" I said, "shit, I have a bunch more fingers. I don't even use that one very much." As you can see she won the argument... as usual.

Broken-Finger-1.jpg

Broken-Finger-2.jpg

Broken-Finger.jpg

Do as your Surgeon says. Period. He's the professional in this conversation, his instructions take precedence. Odds are good you'll not be any mood to handle shooting, handloading, etc.; enyway. If you get impatient, recognize you are jeopardizing a satisfactory recovery.

Actually, taking a break can be useful. It may force you to start over, which is a good way to uncover and correct any unwise habits that may have crept up and encumbered your marksmanship abilities. The advice about starting back out with a 22 is not bad, but again, wait out those weeks the Doctor has prescribed.

I don't know how many surgeries you've had, but I've been through a few. Found out the hard way, surgeons really do know what they're talking about regarding recovery times and regimens. Pays to do as they say.

Greg.

That depends on what your wife is doing. All funny stuff aside... Ouch. Please, no more pictures. Hurts to look. Can imagine how it feels! I've broken a few, myself.. Good Luck.

Learn to do everything with your weak hand. Learned to do that when the casts came off of my left arm 1st.

The ass-wiping, not fun when both of you arms are in above-the-elbow casts . . . . .

Wow that sucks. Does that freak you out seeing metal protruding out of your fingers?

Mine freaked me out the first time I unwrapped it and had to clean around the pins. Made me a little uneasy. Then after a day or two it was just kind of interesting.

I think Jim was supposed to have his surgery today. Hope it went well. He is probably all doped up right now.

I feel your pain .... Literally. 3 weeks ago I was taking a deerstand down and fell 18 ft onto my right leg. It broke my ankle, shin, heel and some more bones I can't think of. Been laying an the couch ever since surgery thinking and "scheming" on recipes! I am so damned cabin fevered all I can think about is shooting. Can't wait 3 more months man.... I'll never make it w/o saying screw it and hobbling around just put some different load ideas together.