• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Tent ? for the dirty ones.

strick9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
Mt Horrible, SC
Been out of this loop for awile but gettin back in as noted in my purifier question anyhows, no more canvas tarps and wool blankets, gotta upgrade..

I have $150ish for a good tent, needs to be two man with a little extra room (vestuble maybe), easy to assemble, light tough fabric, with rain fly. Needs to be versatile to a degree, 10-70 degrees or so and able to handle wind. Don't give a rats ass about brand names. Whats your recs pros?

While your got your mind geared how bout a well priced sleeping Pad thats worth the bone.

as always thanks a million for the down and dirty, call it like it is fellas.

Re: Tent ? for the dirty ones.

I've had good luck with my Eureka Zeus 2 tent. Packs up small and light and does its job, though I haven't been rained on yet.

For tents I've been happy with my Marmot tent and nothing like the Thermarest pads to sleep comfortably.

Stay away from the Eureka Zeus Exo line (or any single wall tent) unless you want to deal with condensation. The only time they are worth it is if you're going truly ultralight, IMO. I used a Eureka Zeus 1 for years. Some nights it would be fine and others I would get rained on from inside the tent. That was with the vents all open and a dry night outside.

REI's website is actually really good for researching any gear that they carry. Their customer reviews are detailed and the layout is nice, and there are a lot on there to read. You'd have to really narrow down your needs to give you any suggestions. i.e. weight limit, do you want it freestanding, are you firm on the $150ish price, etc etc. Go here and click away. You can narrow it down by weight, price, size, read lots of reviews, etc. Even if you don't buy from REI they do have a nice website for gear research.

Snugpak (distributed through proforceequipment.com) makes EXACTLY what you are looking for. Their MAP is higher than their budget but maybe you could work a deal with one of their distributors.

These are the best thing I've seen serving this function at a reasonable pricepoint. I saw them in person at SHOT - very nice kit.

EDIT - just tried their web site. They don't show the tents yet (new item) but try to download the catalog and look at pages 9-13.

The Bunker is a "fly first" design. Not sure if they have listed their new fly first tents of different design and sizes that they had at SHOT. They had 3 fly first tents set up.

The Bunker, Scorpion 3, and Scorpion 2 are shown as new and fly first tents in the current catalog I have in hand. They are a 3+ season tent intended to take abuse and high winds. The cool thing about the fly first design is you can erect the fly to get out of the weather then put the rest of the tent up out of the weather, or just erect the fly depending on the situation.

That sounds like Hilliberg,it's what I use now. A Stiaka dome tent.They use an outer tent,holding the poles. Then an inner tent[click on pitching instructions on left ] . Best thing is you don't need the inner.leave it home,less weight.They also have a great Bivanorak,listed under shelter ad tarps section on top.

http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/Categories.bok?category=Tents

BAMCIS - the Scorpion from Snugpak has the same pitch instructions as your Stiaka but is shaped like the Nallo 2 and Nallo 3. The Bunker is a spitting image of your Stiaka.

I love it,it's an older sleeved version,rather then clips.
But it's freestanding,great ventilation,and 2 doors.

I abused a eureka timberline 2 man for years in the late 80's, through the late 90's. They still make that tent. Very quick to assemble once practiced. In camping trip on a mountaintop it stood up to winds in the 60mph range when the early geodesic designs broke. VERY important on Eureka's. They come with seam sealer. YOU MUST SEAL AND LET DRY BEFORE USE. A heated basement would work fine for this. If you put this tent together in a basement you can actually hang it to dry(also handy after rain). They claim over 1 million sold and sell them for 149.99 on their website. Cheaper can be found online. Enjoy.

+1 on the timberline. Been around for years and accesories available, such as vestibules. Roomy, strong and condensation free.

The way tent prices have climbed over the last 15 years I think your best option would be to look at used sources i.e. craigs lists. So many people buy tents and never really use them.