• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Tent Hammock

NMMX

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
ABQ, NM
Anyone use one? I'm refining my gear list to do some more extensive camping/climbing next spring. I have never used one before but they seem like a possibly nice lite weight system for 2-3 night trips.

Would really just like something smaller than a sleeping mat and lighter than a average tent.

Any thoughts?

Re: Tent Hammock

I have one and I like it. Only downfall is having to find trees/tie offs at the right distance. Definitely need to tie it off tight as possible, so there is as little slack/sag as possible. I would also recommend getting one with the bug net.

Yeah I was thinking that they just wouldn't work in some locals.

antelope%20camp.jpg

I have a Henessy and like it. Beats sleeping on the ground any day of the week. In a pinch, you can use them as a tent if there are not enough trees/tethering points.

4 descender rings can be used to make set up and take down pretty fast.

I got a Hennessy last month and spent a weekend in it. It was pretty comfortable but a bit chilly (overnight lows were in the upper 50s or low 60s that weekend). I had a Thermarest in it and used the lighter weight bag of the military sleep system.

I have a Clark Jungle Hammock and like it a lot. Excellent three season shelter. I use a thin foam pad when the temps drop below about 40 degrees.

I've been using a Henessy this year and I like it. Nice and light, and with the snake skins easy to deploy and stow. I've slept near the top of a mountain in a huge thunderstorm and stayed completely dry.

I sewed up some longer tree loops though, using them by themselves or in combination with the supplied loops means I can use bigger trees to hitch to.

I've been using a hammock for years now and love them there comfortable and light weight. I've got a few differant types I've got the mexican type the mesh type canvas type and a few others they all have there strong and weak points. But one thing about all of them I have slept in some major rain storms and have always stayed dry. No matter which way you go I strongly advise getting a double because there might be that time you need to put your pack or lady in with you.

Glad to hear all the positive reviews. I'm excited to get one now. A couple of you mentioned what sleeping bags you are using. Anyone else have any input on bags?

I'll mostly be in areas with temps from low 30' to upper 70's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NMMX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to hear all the positive reviews. I'm excited to get one now. A couple of you mentioned what sleeping bags you are using. Anyone else have any input on bags?

I'll mostly be in areas with temps from low 30' to upper 70's. </div></div>

Wiggys bags are the best I have ever used.

I've slept out in an ENO DoubleNest, and while it was comfortable, I froze in it even though I had the mil-issues heavy black bag and a tarp over me. Since the insulation underneath you gets compacted, it looses all it's ability to keep you warm, and any breeze goes right through it. That why a lot of guys use under-quilts. The hammock concept is great, but IMHO it takes the right gear (and $$$) to make it practical. The real beauty of something like the Hennesy is you can bring along a couple lightweight poles and use it on the ground like a conventional tent if there are no trees around. In regards to weight and size, I think once you add an underquilt, rain fly, etc. you're right back up to the weight and size of a tent.

The one ground shelter that does intrigue me is from Kifaru:

Coupled with a lightweight air pad & lightweight bag I think you could stay plenty comfortable.

http://www.kifaru.net/tarps_hootches.html
megatarpcover.jpg

My ENO is what I use most often above about 40* With a pad and my North Face Snoeshoe bag I have not had an issue with cold in the mid 30s but will generally choose a tent in weather that cold and below. Winter camping and I move to a 4 season tent because of the range of weather I might encounter. The ENO is a very good mild and wet weather system and can't be beat in warm weather....early Fall, Spring and Summer. Camped this weekend to set trot lines in the river and with just the NF bag and temps dropping to 48 I was too hot.

I have a Hennessy. Some of the best sleep I've gotten has been in it. I've noticed you get some amazing airflow just by being off the ground.
Also, the mosquitoes like to bite through the material unless you have a secondary layer.

I use a single sleeper eno with an ultralight square tarp for rain cover if I need. It is much lighter than any tent out there. If bugs are an issue I have a mosquito net I throw on my head, but they usually don't bother me. For some reason between GA and FL, mosquitos just don't bother me...

A thing to watch out for, is if its cold out, you will loose a ton of heat through convection. On cold windy nights, sleeping in a hammock sux unless you got a good bag. I learned the hard way... warm up nalgenes with warm water befor bed and place them under armpits and groin, and take a small insulate pad cut to your torso and carry it with you to lay in the hammock if its cold, it helps.

Just orderd a Snugpac hammock with inbuilt mozzie net. Good for the tropics but wouldnt in temperate. Even with a thermal mat in it you loose a lot of insulation.

+1 for clark. I use mine backpacking every spring for approx a week in the field. It beats lugging in a tent, and sleeping on the ground.

Echo Hennessy. Jacks-R-Better makes some excellent hammock camping products and their underquilts are awesome when it's cold. Packs up small too. I don't use the Hennessy tarp though, go with a MacCat.

Ive seen that a lot of guys are using one of those space blanket tarps to lay in the hammock first, before putting you foam and sleeping bag in. Then pull the ends up to your tarp line and clip it on with the grommets in the blanket when you lay down.

That keeps the wind and the draft out....which is what sucks your heat away cause the blanket is zero porosity.

Oh, and sleep with a wool cap on....you lose a tremendous amount of heat from your head.