• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Terminus Zeus or Impact 737... if you had to choose one? (and WHY)

Solid7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Everything is stated in the title. I have 2 actions to choose from, and I am leaning hard toward the Zeus. I know that the Impact is popular. But... (discuss)

It's going in a carbon fiber stock, not a chassis. If that matters.

Had Zeus first. Really liked it. Hand tight barrel swaps had a surprisingly repeatable return to zero which was kick ass. Planned on having a 223/6mm/7saum barrel for it. Then I put an Impact build together for my dad 9 months after getting my Zeus. The effortless bolt lift and uncanny smoothness sold me on them. I just sold my Zeus and my new Impact gets in today. The 60* throw was still not bad on the Zeus, and for a three lug it may be the best, but I appreciated the throw on the Impact much more.
I also got tired of barrel swapping headaches. You start out thinking its awesome to have one rifle do all... I used to have a Desert Tech SRS for the same purpose but even that got old after a while. Constantly having minor POI adjustments or rezoning my scope got old. So I just decided to build two purpose built rifles on Impacts for hunting and for PRS/shooting.

Both are terrific. I favor the Impact after having both. Others are the opposite. If you are determined to have a switch barrel go with the Zeus. If not, I think its really hard to say no to an Impact

Go for the Zeus already.
As LR Junky said though, "both are terrific".

LR Junky you perfectly describe how I feel. I had a Curtis Axiom I enjoyed quite a bit, but the Impact is just so smooth to cycle, and it lets me stay on target so Much easier between rounds. 3 lugs going to have more bolt lift no matter what. I know the Terminus is a more refined version of the Curtis, but still similar in design. Both are great but the Impact is so smooth! Also feeds like butter out every mag I have. AICS mags that is.

Both are pretty awesome actions, with the big difference being 2 lug 90 degree bolt throw vs 3 lug 60 degree bolt throw.

The threaded trigger pins on the Terminus are a nice upgrade. Both are DLC coated. The Impact is the action most feel would work under adverse conditions (heavy dust etc) if that is a consideration.

I just got into customs and when deciding I had narrowed it down to these two, in the end I went with the Impact as I felt it was the better fit overall but truthfully I would probably have been equally happy with either.

I have extremely minimal time with an impact and own a Zeus and this is what I can tell you.

The Zeus is incredible. The quick change barrel feature is super handy and surprisingly repeatable!! I like this feature for cleaning as well, makes it nice to get into the lug area super easy to clean. The bolt is super smooth and almost closes it self. Bolt lift is heavier then a refined 2 lug but once broken in it’s not much. My stiller has more bolt lift then my terminus for example. The threaded trigger pins is the best way to install a trigger out there and hope more people start doing this.

The impact blew my mind. Was it better.. I wouldn’t say so but it was different. Probably the nicest 2 lug I’ve ever felt. I currently own in my line up, stiller, kelbly, defiance deviant and zermatt/bighorn tl3. The impact feels so smooth and super light bolt lift. The finish looked great. I know one of the next actions will be an impact not for the fact it was better in that initial impression but because I’m trying to get 1 of every top tier action so I can make my own impressions of them. That said after my initial impressions I’ve never been more excited to own a particular action before. It was really nice!

I don’t think you could go wrong no matter what you go with. Both are top tier and amazing actions. Both have strong followers, and both are suppose to superior service. I know Joel from terminus really goes above and beyond. You just have to decide 60 or 90.

LR junky; said it right. The barrel swap is something that is over rated in most situations. It’s a pain having to re zero, and much more convenient to just build multiple rifles when funds allow. The nice thing is when barrels burn its as easy as easy gets to put a nee tube on the Zeus. I wouldn’t sell my Zeus and is currently my favourite action, but hoping to get an impact this year!

The drop barrel thing isn't going to be an every day affair for me. But I did consider it for the sake of reducing time away at a gunsmith. I don't love the idea for the novelty of swapping calibers. Just for the practicality of (necessary) barrel swaps.

Can anyone comment on the longevity of each action? Which one "wears in" nicer? Any specific issues to be aware of with either action? (deal breakers)

Also, do both actions readily accept all of the Remington 700 accessories, with no issue? (stocks, triggers, etc)

Last edited:
I came from a desert tech to the Zeus and love switching barrels on both. That being said; I do switch barrels on my Zeus quite often and it’s easy, repeatable and IF I have to zero it’s only 0.1-0.2 mils. It has become very easy for me to log zero on each barrel and caliber so that is not an issue for me.

I really want to know, at this point, more what people DON'T like about either action... Top gripes about both...

So there's no mistake, I do really appreciate all the feedback so far. Thanks to everyone.

I can't speak on behalf of the Impact but I just recently finished my lefthanded Zeus in a Manners stock. It's by far the nicest rifle I own. It super smooth and effortless. I did opt for a different handle (I went with the dumbell looking one) and its smooth as silk.

I really want to know, at this point, more what people DON'T like about either action... Top gripes about both...

So there's no mistake, I do really appreciate all the feedback so far. Thanks to everyone.
zeus: dont like heavier bolt lift (more function of how i prefer to open the bolt with top of hand versus grabbing the knob)
impact: dont like the 50/50 cock feel

coming from tikka/ARC and now only zermatt actions

Reactions: Matt_3479
Throwing my $0.02 for Impact. Ease of finding pre-fits from multiple vendors, the ability to run in harsh conditions when other actions start going down, and absolutely smooth action won it for me.

Also, any customer service issues I've sent to Impact have received a reply from Tate personally within 5 minutes. Can't get better service than that.

Zeus is 60° for heavy idiots and Impact has a hitch half way through the bolt close that feels like its got a cripple limp.

Edit: they are both still great

Reactions: b6graham

For me it's very difficult to find negatives about the Zeus. The action is awesome and the customer service that Joel provides is top notch. I think if I were to pick one thing it would be maybe the wait for a left handed version but it's understandable since it's not as popular as the conventional right handed versions but even then, the fact that you don't pay until the action is ready to ship amazes me. Not to name names but the competing 3 lug will take your money and leave you hanging for months...!

coming from tikka/ARC and now only zermatt actions

Does that mean that, based on your experience, you think the Zermatt are a better choice than both the Zeus and the Impact?

Does that mean that, based on your experience, you think the Zermatt are a better choice than both the Zeus and the Impact?
Better is hard

Theyre all of equal quality with good materials and very very good CS

They all have tons of options for prefits

They all feel smooth (when run correctly. They all have their little quirks when switch back and forth)

Its minor minor differences

Zermatt: bolt faces. Short and long action and 22. Some think too much clearance/slop. Option for aw/aics magwell

Zeus: 60 degree so "heavy". AW. Quick change if you want.

Impact: 50/50 cock which some like some hate. Pairs well with a vudoo trainer.

There isn't a wrong decision. Add lone peak and defiance and ARC to that too

Its about what features you want and where the priorities are for you

Without finger banging them its a shot in the dark which you will like best

Let's talk about the Impact bottom metal options. In the listing, it says, "No BDL hardware". What does this mean? Is there any problem with any of the typical bottom metal options for detachable mags?

Ha. I highly doubt that he will. Cause he's been shooting trued up Remington 700 actions since he was 20. :LOL:

Everything is stated in the title. I have 2 actions to choose from, and I am leaning hard toward the Zeus. I know that the Impact is popular. But... (discuss)

It's going in a carbon fiber stock, not a chassis. If that matters.

Last edited: