• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Terminus Zeus Quick Change

Havoc35

Private
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
I am looking at putting a new bolt gun together and have been looking at getting a barreled action from Straight Jacket. The Terminus Zeus looks like a really nice, solid, and reputable receiver and the quick change option looks like it would be a nice feature. However after I looked at how this quick change feature works I'm skeptical.

I just cant imagine that 2 set screws and a hand tight barrel wont walk its way out. It didn't appear to me that the barrel has any type of spot face or drilled hole that the set screws index into but rather just a smooth non-angled cylindrical surface that 2 cup point set screws sit against @10 ft lbs. Mechanically does not sound viable to me.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this and can speak to the repeatability/soundness of the quick change system?

Last edited:
I am looking at putting a new bolt gun together and have been looking at getting a barreled action from Straight Jacket. The Terminus Zeus looks like a really nice, solid, and reputable receiver and the quick change option looks like it would be a nice feature. However after I looked at how this quick change feature works I'm skeptical.

I just cant imagine that 2 set screws and a hand tight barrel wont walk its way out. It didn't appear to me that the barrel has any type of spot face or drilled hole that the set screws index into but rather just a smooth non-angled cylindrical surface that 2 cup point set screws sit against @10 ft lbs. Mechanically does not sound viable to me.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this and can speak to the repeatability/soundness of the quick change system?
I may not give you a good answer you’re looking for but I will say this.
I have a terminus Zeus on order that I bought and I’m just waiting for it to arrive, I did lots of research before hand and here is what I found. Nobody as far as I’m aware has had a problem with the quick change system, everyone I have talked to says it’s solid. And also something else to remember is you don’t have to use it, changing barrels on the Zeus is still a pretty quick under 5 minute process with the action wrench and non quick change shouldered prefit, so if for any reason you don’t feel satisfied with the really quick quick change screw system, you still have the ability to change barrels extremely fast with prefits (yes not out in the field) which would be the only draw back compared to the faster quick change screw system. I mention that because the Zeus in my opinion and others who own it and have owned many actions, is one of the best/precise machined well built actions that have ever been available, and even if the quick change screw system didn’t work for you it is still really fact to sway a barrel out and is still 100% worth it.
But again I think most people from the research I have done say it is completely solid and works perfect even after bumps on stages.

Reactions: Fullbore1912
I have a Zeus works great system is solid barrel will not move or walk. Iv beat it around in matches my zero has not changed. Looking into getting a 223 bolt and barrel for practice. Iv owned quite a few custom actions and the Zeus is my favorite so far.

I have one. The quick change works well. Also, I have torqued the quick change barrel to 50-60 lbs without changing the headspace. It shoots the same either way.

I have had no issues with mine. In fact there was barely a zero change when I changed the barrel for a different caliber.
20210815_123637.jpg

I have a Zeus works great system is solid barrel will not move or walk. Iv beat it around in matches my zero has not changed. Looking into getting a 223 bolt and barrel for practice. Iv owned quite a few custom actions and the Zeus is my favorite so far.
Which actions have you owned?

I have owned an LPA Fuzion, Curtis Axiom, and Defiance Anti-X. The Axiom has been my favorite hands down; it's why I am ordering a Zeus this week.

I also have a Zeus that should be arriving any day now. I talked with Joel about the action, his machines (which he even sent me video and pics of) and just about everything else on that subject. The willingness to talk to me and take his time doing so, means a lot to me. I'm a very busy guy, as I'm sure he is. I appreciate him giving me that kind of time.

This was what I got out of my convo .

The barrel maker has something to do with how repeatable the zero will be. (By that I mean if you shoot a group then take that barrel off, then put it back on, and shoot a group again, it will be just as tight, but the POI can shift slightly, depending on how the tenon on the barrel is done.) (That may not even matter, since I am going to check my zero anytime I change anything, and you will too most likely)

If it's a legit barrel done by a legit Smith, it will shoot great regardless of how repeatable the poi is. If the tenon is done correctly, then it will shoot that tiny group in the same exact POI as it did before you took the barrel off.

I have a TL3 and an Origin (which is my favorite), but if the Zues works out like I think it will, I will be selling one of my other actions and just rolling with a few added barrels, though I'm not likely to get rid of both. BH actions even if the zues does everything I want it to. I do love my Big Horn actions.

My Zeus has been solid for a year and a half so far so good.
bumped here and there and still spot on
You can always simply torque the barrel on if you wish but I have had no problems.

A hand tight barrel will definitely tighten to a point as it's fired. I would always fire a few rounds before trusting the zero of a quick change. Once the barrel is shot in and the screws are tight you'll be good to go.

Reactions: hseII
I have a left twist barrel on mine. No issues that cause me to have to tighten the barrel or set screws after any rounds.

And so far, no change in zero.

Any Updates on this?

What the long-term opinion?
Well I didn't get my Zeus but I had another as well as 2 Valor actions and all 3 are solid. You can actually get the barrel to catch pretty good by hand then the set screws just make sure it does move. I've never had any kind of shift with either of the 3 actions. That said, if it's something you're worried about, just get a non qc action and a barrel vise. (Which I also have a few of).

Reactions: hseII