• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Terrapin for LR Hunting Test

XL Mammal

Red Five
Minuteman
May 17, 2005
TX
If you're like me, you've probably had a hard time finding any real data regarding the Terrapin's ability to range game. After getting a great deal through the group buy, I decided to finally find out for myself.

Every year I'm lucky enough to hunt a ranch in Texas with some of my best buds. In the past 3-4 years, the ranch owner has taken an interest in precision rifle shooting and got himself hooked up with 6.5 CM from LA Precision. Consequently, every year we're surprised by a new hunting spot...with longer range shots. My Swaro and Zeiss LRF's worked fine in the beginning, but the last two years I've had real issues getting reliable returns on whitetail as the ranges we shoot are extended. This is where the Terrapin comes into play. Unable to find any Blacktail (I live in CA) willing to pose for me at various distances, I headed down the coast to cattle ranch. I know cows are bigger than deer, but at least this would give me some idea of how the Terrapin will perform on furry critters. Here's what I found:

Everything was done off-hand. I started on some cattle on a ridge at about 2150m. This would prove just a bit too far for the Terrapin. I got returns off the ridge line no problem, but every time I held on a cow it would give me the error dashes. Here's the pic:

Slide1.bmp

So, I decided to try something a bit closer. 1500m and 1650m wasn't even a challenge.

Cows+Before+Hwy+Pointer.jpg

Finally, I was able to narrow in on it's limitations under these conditions. The bank on the far edge of the pond in the pic below was right at 2050m. As long as I held the Terrapin steady it would return a good measurement. On the near edge of the pond a cow stood on some exposed earth. I was able to get a return at 2002m, but I can't be certain it was the cow and not the rocky, light-colored earth she was standing on. Either way, it wasn't easily repeatable. So, I spotted a couple cattle a bit closer and walking towards me. 1790m. 1787m. 1771m. Each hit was quick and repeatable. Since I was shooting ranges downhill, it is possible I was getting returns off the grass they were standing on. Without a cow silhouetted against the sky there's no way to be certain. Either way the Terrapin still impressed.

Cows+Pond+Pointer.bmp

I hope some of you find this info useful. For those of you thinking about using this device for LR hunting, I have no doubt it will reliably range deer well past 1000yds. Whether you think you can ethically take that shot is another matter.

Good writeup! My Ziess RF 10x45s have trouble on cows past 1600. Just don't want to cough up the cash for a terrapin!

I'll give a bit on the terrapin as well, other than being a LR shooter I am a surveyor. I use the terrapin alot on the job because of its accuracy and ability to hit small objects a long ways away. (BTW: the terrapin reads in feet which makes it nice for my wook.) When we are measuring spots out at work I need footages from certain pipeline markers we put in. I have been using the terrapin on both our lollypop markers(8" wide cirlces bolted to t-posts) and our straight PVC pipe markers ( 3"PVC) I can get steady shots and read these easily out to 600 yds. And thats on very small targets. I have been ranging deer, cows, antelope, and other critters out to past 1000yds easy. The terrapin has given me 5400 yd results a few times on a aircraft hanger close to the house and will do it's 2400yd advertised job more than it wont on bigger stuff. 1300 and in is usually a go in all conditions. If objects aren't hard to hit with alot of brush and stuff or hill sides are there then any thing under a mile is ranged pretty easy. My terrapin has inpressed me alot and really cant see where it has ever failed to do what it should. For true LR ranging it can't be beat by anything else (unless it is other vectronix products). I still use my Leica and favor it more as my on body LRF as its smaller, lighter, and handier while on the move but the terrapin stays on my side and can easliy give me my range if the leica fails to do so. BTW, LRF capabillities are not even close with the leica and the vectronix. I've had leupolds as well and I would never thinkn about venturing away from vectronix. Very much worth the money and if guys are saving up for a LRF it is so worth saving a bit longer for this one. It is a true buy once cry once deal. My only regrets are not buying it first. Instead I wasted as much money as one costs trying to find a cheaper alternative. There is not one. Good luck.