• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Terrapin or PLRF10

Your question should be about the PLRF-10C instead. Comparing the 10 and the Terrapin is kind of pointless as they are so similar in features and capabilities yet one is obviously more expensive than the other. I think the 10 has an external port for hooking into a PDA or the remote firing cable, which the Terrapin doesn't. Is that worth nearly twice the cost? Probably not. The 10C on the otherhand has the digital compass that allows you do to some very impressive integration with a PDA. Other than that, the PLRF10 is mil spec and ITAR controlled while the Terrapin isn't, yet both have nearly identical ranging capabilities.

Euro optics has the Terrapin down as an ITAR item, I know because I wanted to buy one as it's a lot cheaper than it would be in UK....

What max range are you looking to shoot. The Terrapins can easily go 3,000 yards for a lot chea[pre than any PLR model. Truthfully, I don't see why any civilian would need anything stronger than the Terrapin for shooting. I do understand some guides use them to range across valley's to measure walking distance but unless thats you occupation I would go with the Terrapins.

If I understand it right the terrapin has a X5 magnification which is defiantly not enough to identify and range for small targets I think that even the plrf X7 is hardly enough

I have the plrf10 with Swarovski doubler and it works awesome. I don't know size of beam for terrapin but the 10 is one of the smallest available.

I bought the PLRF10 for durability. If it can handle an Army guy running and fighting then its has to be good enough for me. I wish it had the digital compass but hey for the extra price.... I got a good deal on ebay for it. I'm sure the Terrapin will hold up and all. As far as the range finding ability, trying to range a small target is not easy for these devices. Just look at the difference your bullet drops between 625 yds and 675 yds. For my 308 its about 20". So if you miss range a small target and get the berm instead, then you're 20" off vertically. Between 725 yds and 775 yds, you'll be off by 33". Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I bought the PLRF10 for durability. If it can handle an Army guy running and fighting then its has to be good enough for me. I wish it had the digital compass but hey for the extra price.... I got a good deal on ebay for it. I'm sure the Terrapin will hold up and all. As far as the range finding ability, trying to range a small target is not easy for these devices. Just look at the difference your bullet drops between 625 yds and 675 yds. For my 308 its about 20". So if you miss range a small target and get the berm instead, then you're 20" off vertically. Between 725 yds and 775 yds, you'll be off by 33". Just my 2 cents.

You do need a steady hold, but as far as ranging 'small' targets, a Vectronix (Terrapin, PLRF 10, etc.) is what you want. As stated before, they have a much tighter beam divergence allowing for more precise aiming. The ballistic discussion is correct, and that actually substantiates the need for an LRF. If you need to range a target, you can choose between reticle estimation errors or aiming errors with an LRF. I'll take the latter please.

Last edited: