• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Terrapin X or Leica 3200.com to use with Kestrel 5700X ?

bithead007

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2021
Colorado
I want to get a nice (really nice) rangefinder and ballistics setup because I am interested in ELR. There are lots of interesting devices out there. I will get a Kestrel 5700X with AB and the link option but get really confused when I read about rangefinders. I don't have a budget per se to limit me but I don't want to buy a $9000 rangefinder. I was looking at the Terrapin X and Leica 3200.com 10x42 binos. Very different devices. I'm not really sure how to research these, so looking for any opinions from people that shoot ELR or have knowledge about them. Caliber-wise I'll be using .338 Lapua (to start with) so I'm hoping I can touch 2000+ yards reliably if I get good. Anyway, its my dream LOL thanks for any opinions.

CJ

I prefer binos. Both of those options have had and still have, I believe connection issues with Kestrel. I’d search through the multitude of posts before investing. I like my Sig 3000BDX. They function perfectly with the Kestel Link.

Reactions: bithead007
I prefer binos. Both of those options have had and still have, I believe connection issues with Kestrel. I’d search through the multitude of posts before investing. I like my Sig 3000BDX. They function perfectly with the Kestel Link.

I was thinking the same thing, from what I've been reading the sig 3000BDX seems to do its job very well and it's only like 1,100 bucks. It's on my Short list of upcoming purchases for myself. Anything even remotely close to 9,000 for a rangefinder, in my opinion is fucking insane and going waaaay down the rabbit hole. Just think of all of the other goodies that could have been purchased, not to mention the buyers remorse to follow... Definitely do your homework on this one...

I think the Terrapin X released new firmware that solved the connection issue with the Kestrel, but I am told they do not display the holds like the others do. Take a look at the new Vortex 5000 Fury AB. Much like the Sig 3000 bdx but includes a compass so it changes DOF in the Kestrel and the wind direction gets updated to the new DOF. Both Sig and Vortex have had no connection issues to date.

Reactions: db2000