• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tesla auto pilot goes kamikaze

one of the funniest things I have heard in the last 4 years , besides idiots breaking the law and resisting arrest when they are cough you know its going to end up poorly for them , but like those crock hunter shows you watch hopping to see them get bit by reality . From the first time I heard about self driving cars and the companies making it stating that they will not be holding the liability when something goes wrong and an insurance company stating they also will not be holding the liability as if something goes wrong as well as the sales companies stating the same thing and people being people you know they are not using it like cruise control but auto pilot there is bound to be a lot of accidents close calls and near death experiences . people drive normally like crap on the road now take away hands and eyes driving Stevie wonder style driving is bound to be funny as hell .

Last edited:
I was driving into Boston and saw some asshole in a Tesla reading the fucking newspaper while his car was in autopilot....

....I ended up passing him a mile down the road when his dumb ass rear ended a semi.

I hope there is a camera and black box for the insurance companies.

Pretty hard to argue with a picture of you not driving when the car drives itself into something.

Don’t know how musk sleeps at night knowing that all his false marketing is killing people.
He runs Tesla like it’s a tech company and you just return the computer if it won’t boot up.
and they refuse to call him in it.

Tesla unfortunately does not have a proper "driver monitoring system", but there is a shit-ton of data available via telemetry that should provide plenty of information on what happened.

I'm not a fan of Tesla's approach to autonomous driving, but if there was no one in the driver's seat at time of the crash, it is impossible to place any blame on the car's technology.

At this point, I'm simply glad these idiots didn't kill any bystanders.

IIRC there's a thread here from a few years back where the auto pilot was discussed. I believe it was on the topic of how many deaths were going to be acceptable to advance the technology. Like any new technology death is part of it. What's the acceptance level?
Heck, they are now saying that the number of people who get blood clots and whatever from the covid-19 shot are acceptable. I guess it's all good unless you or your children are the ones that get the shitty end of the stick

Tesla unfortunately does not have a proper "driver monitoring system", but there is a shit-ton of data available via telemetry that should provide plenty of information on what happened.

I'm not a fan of Tesla's approach to autonomous driving, but if there was no one in the driver's seat at time of the crash, it is impossible to place any blame on the car's technology.

At this point, I'm simply glad these idiots didn't kill any bystanders.
Flip side is why doesn’t Tesla tie into the airbag sensor in the seat. It’s already there

because they want people doing stupid stuff.

he thinks its infallible and it’s always the operators fault.

one of the funniest things I have heard in the last 4 years , besides idiots breaking the law and resisting arrest when they are cough you know its going to end up poorly for them , but like those crock hunter shows you watch hopping to see them get bit by reality . From the first time I heard about self driving cars and the companies making it stating that they will not be holding the liability when something goes wrong and an insurance company stating they also will not be holding the liability as if something goes wrong as well as the sales companies stating the same thing and people being people you know they are not using it like cruise control but auto pilot there is bound to be a lot of accidents close calls and near death experiences . people drive normally like crap on the road now take away hands and eyes driving Stevie wonder style driving is bound to be funny as hell .

I would trust a blind pachino before i trust a tesla to drive me around. Imagine the tesla belting out "I think shes got another gear!"

The autopilot isn't the only serious problem here. From the news report -

"...a brother-in-law of one of the victims said it took four hours to extinguish the blaze. Authorities said the vehicle’s batteries repeatedly reignited, and Herman said that deputies called Tesla to ask how to put out the fire."

Sounds like their technology is nowhere near being ready for consumer use, but the federal government is so fanatical about promoting electric cars, they're allowing this stuff to be rushed to market without being fully developed.

Reactions: Frgood
So you know what Tesla has said in the past about putting out their fires...

“let them burn themselves out”

"...a brother-in-law of one of the victims said it took four hours to extinguish the blaze. Authorities said the vehicle’s batteries repeatedly reignited, and Herman said that deputies called Tesla to ask how to put out the fire."

Sounds like their technology is nowhere near being ready for consumer use, but the federal government is so fanatical about promoting electric cars, they're allowing this stuff to be rushed to market without being fully developed.
Have you ever seen how the factories are setup to deal with a fire? Its wild.

I think Beverly Hills or some rich area actually has a battery fire truck

it’s a dump truck with a crane
and in the bed it’s full of foam

they crab the whole care and drop it in the foam

I'm a volunteer firefighter where I live in PA, and one of our neighboring volunteer fire companies has a Tesla dealership in their fire district. A few years ago, the line officers for that fire company visited the Tesla dealership to inquire about the appropriate response and extinguishing procedures if a fire were to occur in their buildings and cars, considering the batteries. The dealership didn't want to share any information and told them to leave. I say let it burn and protect exposures.

Reactions: rhsc and Frgood
I'm sure I am going to the wrong place but, the story headline brought back memories when, as a child, we would roll Hot Wheel cars at each other and make them crash. The though of random cars eyeballing one another and then charging into each other like bulls. It is tough on a computer ego maintaining road dominance.

I was driving into Boston and saw some asshole in a Tesla reading the fucking newspaper while his car was in autopilot....

....I ended up passing him a mile down the road when his dumb ass rear ended a semi.
Hell, I saw that on Rt.80 in NJ 20 years ago.... :rolleyes:

In my opinion we need to stop blaming the stupid drivers.

What we need to do is have the government come down hard on the snake oil pitch of "self driving", "Advanced self driving" and "Full self Driving" B.S. that Musk is putting out hard. When you pay $5k or $10k to get "advanced self driving" in your car, you have expectations...

In addition, it has been proven in studies that having the computers do the driving and requiring the human to be ready to take over when the computer messes up, is a very bad idea as it goes against basic human biology.

Either the system is fully capable of driving itself without any user intervention, to a legal extent that you could get in your car drunk, tell the car to drive you home and be all good with the law, insurance companies and lawyers and such, with no liability to you if the computer system crashes the car, or it's NOT self driving and only a glorified driver assistance or possibly driver distraction system.

Now properly done driving aids are a real help and I use them for added safety and like them a lot.
Things like lane follow / lane keeping assist, adaptive cruise control, side traffic detection, rear cross detection, brake / collision alert.
But those all assist you in you being in control of the vehicle and act as a backup incase you forget to for example check your blind spot well enough some time or the car ahead of you slams on their brakes while you were checking out your blind spot to see if you could move over a lane.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I'm a volunteer firefighter where I live in PA, and one of our neighboring volunteer fire companies has a Tesla dealership in their fire district. A few years ago, the line officers for that fire company visited the Tesla dealership to inquire about the appropriate response and extinguishing procedures if a fire were to occur in their buildings and cars, considering the batteries. The dealership didn't want to share any information and told them to leave. I say let it burn and protect exposures.
Letting it burn while keeping everyone at a distance would probably be the safest way to deal with it anyway because of the toxic gases that are released when Li batteries burn. Problem is, you're then left with a hazardous waste site due to the chemical residue that's left behind.

Last edited:
Letting it burn while keeping everyone at a distance would probably be the safest way to deal with it anyway because of the toxic gases that are released when Li batteries burn. Problem is, you're then left with a hazardous waste site due to the chemical residue that's left behind.
Until it’s a 3 car pile up

It's kind of like a recent vaccine rollout.
Sure, it's tested, and safe...
However, we'll have more data as time goes by.

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b

Pretty hard to argue with a picture of you not driving when the car drives itself into something.
Yeap that's is what we need, more big brother.

horse and buggy , lol ridding all those cows aoc says is causing global warming and besides when it doesn't want to run anymore you can always kill it and grill it , ain't no car ever made going to taste that good except maybe a bacon mobile . well Darwin's theory evolution is slow thing that happens over millions of years , sadly it's already been proven to be b.s as trillions of mutation would take billions of years not tens of thousands of years the theory of shit happens is much faster it happens ever 26 seconds all over the world and is even faster than even Murphy's law that says when there is a chance for something to happen it will and at the most inconvenient time .

Last edited:
horse and buggy lol ridding all those cows aoc says is causing global warming and besides when it doesn't want to run anymore you can always kill it and grill it , ain't no car ever made going to taste that good except maybe a bacon mobile .
maybe not to you.....buuuuuut.....

1989-batmobile-movie-car.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
How often do you drive your cuda these days? My camaro hits the road once in awhile, i used to daily drive it... i used to ride a motorcycle too... i feel like if i take my nice stuff out now alot its my fault if it gets mangled or i get killed cause i shoulda known that there were idiots like this out there.... and there shouldnt be. Why cant we have a decent cell phone blocker installed in cars? That would be safe, or tech that can tell if someone isnt watching the road cause they are trying to read the daily gossiper? Why is tech getting dumber? It really is going to be idiocracy... mike judge is the nostradamus of our time...

not in 20 years sadly the rear froze up while racing a vet . at 140mph ( I mean 55) the rear wheels just stopped spinning yea .

not in 20 years sadly blew the rear froze up while racing a vet . at 140mph ( I mean 55) the rear wheels just stopped spinning yea .
What the actual fuck? And you still have this car? I will fix it for you if i get to drive it once the way i want to.....

Yep, need a few million of them on our nations Hi-ways/Interstates. Another way that B. Gates can contribute to population control? Because, you know, he's probably got money invested in that technology too. Mac

not in 20 years sadly the rear froze up while racing a vet . at 140mph ( I mean 55) the rear wheels just stopped spinning yea .
$900 and an afternoon and I'd have a (uh, like new?) 8-3/4 Sure Grip w/3.73's under it... Or fix the one you have, I bet it's a good one and a fairly easy fix. 8-3/4 rears you can also change the gears in like 45min. with just a jack and a slide hammer IIRC, they're pretty slick.

I know a junk yard that should still have tons of those and Dana 90's --all the good stuff. Stevenson AL I think. It's patrolled by E. Diamondbacks --only way to keep thieves out. It's a Mopar fantasy land, they've got it all.

And if R&R is still in business, I know where a shit ton of Hemi blocks are too --that's another lifetime fuckup, passing on one for $2k back in the 90's. (That was the buddy price for a long block --my uncle was NHRA drag racing champion for motor bikes at Bristol in 1982 IIRC).

God I'd love a 'Cuda. Or '68 Road Runners or Chargers (I like the round blinkers!). But my favorite is the 1966 GTX. Missed out on one of those too, for $2k also. That one came with a 440 and a suspension to handle it. LOTS of muscle cars and Detroit steel where I grew up in the South. Horta? All this stuff is within driving distance to you buddy. Go by R&R Speed Shop if it's still there, I might know some secret squirrel code words to get you in the door!

THIS was the car sitting out next to the shop I drooled over for years:

1619024655397.png

• Love
20210418_163737.jpg

Running my dads ss the other day for the first time in a decade. The amount of lichen grown on it is crazy. But you still cant grab the 100 dollar bill on the dash.

Less than zero driving aids in that car.... probably a few hindrances too....

If people drove their own cars there wouldn’t be any wrecks. #trustthescience

First, there’s a difference between autopilot and “full self drive”. The autopilot is like having a seven yr old at the wheel. You’re going to crash if you let it drive by itself all the way. The full self drive is maybe like a 10-12 yr old. You might get to your destination, you might not. I’ve had both, I would never not be in the drivers seat at least available to grab the wheel or hit the brake with either. Any idiot that’s owned one for any length of time should know better.

I thought this was going to be a case of the passengers getting it on in the backseat while using autopilot but the article said one was in the front seat and one was in the back seat

a little odd to not be in the driver's seat if you're going to be up front in the passenger's seat
Methinks that these two geezers were in the midst of some man-on-man action but because one or both of them is of some import locally, the hometown news is keeping things vague.