• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing test indicators and holders?

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
i need to upgrade indicators and holders. i want to get a longer tenth indicator to indicate the throat area of the bore. i am wondering if the mitutoyo 513-504 is the indicator to get for this. as far as holders go, i have been looking at the noga dg61003. is there any other brands/models i should be looking at besides these choices?

Re: test indicators and holders?

I use a Noga at work, I like it very much. The hydraulic clamp mechanism means you position it where you want and tighten the central lever, it should be very close to where you want it, then use the fine adjust to zero your indicator.

My favorite indicator that I have used is the Interapid, made in Switzerland, a little on the pricey side at around $250 for a .0001 indicator.

IMO the Mitutoyo is a good piece of equipment also, and a very good value. If it will get in where you want I don't think it 's a bad choice.

I use Mititoyo finger indicators around here both .001 and .0001 and I love them. Interrapids realy are the best but have one flaw that I don't like. They are so touchy that the slightest little bit of machine vibration or not a super smooth surface and the needle becomes a blur because its moving back and forth. Just my two cents.

Jay Seaquist

I have very limited experience with these products, but anything made by Mitutoyo or Starret should be among the best quality you can get.
I'd get the Mitutoyo just based on the quality of the products I've seen them put out.

...or Starret
smile.gif
BUY AMERICAN! Please

thanks for the replies. i ordered up the mitutoyo test indicator and a couple of the noga holders. msc had a good sale going on today. their sale prices were better than enco's sale prices and their shipping is faster. i should get them tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have very limited experience with these products, but anything made by Mitutoyo or Starret should be among the best quality you can get.
I'd get the Mitutoyo just based on the quality of the products I've seen them put out.

...or Starret
smile.gif
BUY AMERICAN! Please

</div></div>
Interapid belongs to Brown & Sharpe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have very limited experience with these products, but anything made by Mitutoyo or Starret should be among the best quality you can get.

...or Starret
smile.gif
BUY AMERICAN! Please

</div></div>
Interapid belongs to Brown & Sharpe. </div></div>

I don't understand, why did you quote me? Please, educate me

the noga holders turned out to be great. way better than the junk i had been using. i have not had a reason to use the mitutoyo indicator yet but will sometime in the next few days. also, dealing with msc is great. i get my order the next day for no additional shipping charge.

i got a link to this test indicator review from another site: link

B&S by far. Used many of all brands and I mean a lot of them. B&S seem to be just a little bit better. They can just take a little more abuse than others. I go through 4 or 5 of them a month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thought you were cute maybe??? </div></div>

Me, no way

I'm just curious what I said wrong

There is nothing wrong with what you have said.
Sorry, I misunderstood, I though you recommending Mitutoyo (Japanese)as American.

PS. but if "Buy American" then I would go for Interapid (own by B&S)

Interapid is good..I use one daily.. I also have an older 50 millionths BS, but it is upgraded.. Ruby stylus and its 20 years old.. the new ones are cheap one not made as well. Still light years ahead of Starret. Never buy a Last word.. those are worse than $15 Chinese knockoffs

Does anyone other than intrepid make a indicator with a long enough insert to indicate the lands? Before I bought my intrepid I looked at most of the suppliers and didnt find anything comprable.

We use a interapid with a 3" needle on it. You cannot beat the performance that you will get out of it. Tough to find them that are setup for doing that kind of measuring.

I have a Mitutoyo indicating depth gauge that has an indicating needle you can adjust with threaded shaft extensions to about 8". The indicator measures hundredths of mm, or .01mm. This is mit code #7211.

Very flexible tool as the ground base, for depth indicating, is removable allowing the indicator to be held in a tension mount, or other fixed jig. Nice big 3" dial and about 5 varying sizes of shaft extensions.

Have a pair of Starrett 81s in .001 and .0005 dials. Lots of various length shafts available from Starrett if you call them and order direct.