• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: test

I live in an area of Ms. bottom land near a river. There are places in the swamps where a bluish clay is saturated with water, we call it gumbo down here. Often you can push a stick several feet down into it. I got an Amphicat stuck in that stuff & God help you if you have to dig out a beaver dam without explosives. I digress into old memories fighting that goo but the point is I've tested ammo expansion in it for years. Lay 2 legs of blue-jeans on top and shoot into it. I found many high test hollow points that didn't expand. Federal HST, Gold Dot, and the new Hornady FTX expand every time, in everything I tried. I'll post some more picts. :Link:
url]

url]

I subscribe to tnoutdoors channel on youtube. He has some of the best expansion test I have seen from an amateur. For years he used milk jugs packed with wet news paper but this year started using "Sim-Test", a more user friendly ballistic gel. What is surprising is that in tests he repeated using Sim-Test, the HST and Gold Dots performed the same as with wet paper, and his tests results (although more refined) have the same results as mine using the ole swamp on the south end of my property. It's worth a look here: http://www.youtube.com/user/tnoutdoors9 : if anyone's interested. If nothing else, it's fun to watch.

Interesting that the petals show what looks like rotational torque; the other HST loads I've seen recovered didn't exhibit that same appearance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting that the petals show what looks like rotational torque; the other HST loads I've seen recovered didn't exhibit that same appearance.</div></div>

I also was not expecting the continued rotation after impact. Surprisingly, the Gold Dot showed the same rotation though not to the same degree. The wound channel reflected this rotation as a propeller through water. The link above to tnoutdoors has a video of a dissected block of gel that clearly shows this cutting rotation. There is considerable discussion concerning the bonded vs the non-bonded design as most non-bonded designs fail to maintain integrity. These two however, HST and Gold Dot, seem to render that debate mute. I've shot the HST (non-bonded) into everything from water and wet sand to ballistic gel (and thru a 1x4 into gel) and never had one break up or fail to expand. Must have elven magic rubbed on it.