• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tested Eley Tenex vs. Practice

Except he's trying to poison his kids, didn't sort the practice ammo by weight, and used a suppressor. :D
I don't think sorting would do any good anyways. Most of my rifles shoot better with the Sparrow than without.

If you sort, what do you sort?

*EDIT* Not trying to be antagonistic, just saying what I'm thinking.

Enjoyed the video. From what I saw with SK Match in regards to ES from my rifle, any testing I do in the future will also involve a chrono. I would have liked to see how close they ran for you.

Reactions: Cjwise5
Nice video, goes to show what a well built .22lr can do with various types of ammo. You've sparked my curiosity as to what your muzzle velocity difference was between the two ammo's, extreme spread, SD, etc.

I had originally planned to chronograph both of these. My apologies for forgetting to do so folks.

I enjoyed your video and testing, I’ve been pursuing the same type of testing with Eley Contact and Eley Match. I chose these two because they both share the same bullet lube compound. I was looking for a practice ammo that I wouldn’t have to re-season the bore to shoot my match ammo. In doing my test I found the Eley contact to shoot very tight groups in my rifle as well. I do though wish I had a chrono to get some velocity data from both ammos, hope to get that purchased sooner then later. Thanks again for you content!

Had a discussion with another old coot regarding ammunition testing,
while I was putting my chronograph away after a few 50 at 100's.
His interest when testing, is not about why a batch of cartridges
produces better results than another,
but only which batch produces the best results.
For that, all he cares about is where they hit on paper.
My interest is not so much which cartridges have the most consistent trajectories,
but what causes those outliers and strays?
I want to know was it mv differences, cartridge defects or wind?
For that I have to do a visual inspection of each cartridge,
use a ballistic chronograph and watch an assortment of wind flags.
He is solely interested in results for the purpose of use in competition.
His testing is done in a wind protected area with no chrony.
Either the results are good and he purchases more for competition,
or they aren't and that batch gets used as practice ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halfnutz
His interest when testing, is not about why a batch of cartridges
produces better results than another,
but only which batch produces the best results.
For that, all he cares about is where they hit on paper.

I agree with w your friends thoughts.
I did "the whole box challange @100" with SK match with a 10/22. My hits were decent windage wise, the vertical was not so good. The chrono gave me a "quantifiable" reason. When they dropped out of group the chrono told me that it was velocity change and not me.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like this would make for a fun Saturday with the vudoo and the magneto speed. Be interesting to see the results with some ammo.