• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TESTED - FX Wireless Chrono for 22LR

Chopping Broccoli

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2021
Tested the new FX Airguns wireless chronograph on my 22LR match gun. The unit is a small radar unit about the size of a Rubik’s Cube. Runs with a companion app on iOS or Android. The app tracks all the usual statistics plus allows you to store multiple gun/ammo profiles. The unit in the video was not strapped to the barrel but was resting on a barricade bag under the forend. Next test will involve mounting to ARCA clamp as well as testing on a small Gorilla/GoPro tripod. FX publishes max velocity at 1099 FPS. This is perfectly acceptable for most match grade subsonic ammo.

Have one for my airguns as well, and have been curious if they would pick up the 22lr.

Good to know

I had one and returned it. I realized that any little inch forward or inch backward would change the velocity. There's a % compensation that you can adjust, but how does that help you if you don't know what it should be?

So then I basically had to get it perfectly setup at a certain distance, run my magnetospeed, align both to be the same MV, take off my MV to make sure the setup was still correct. It ended up just being too finicky to use in the field/matches reliably. I guess if you're just looking for relative SDs and care less about the absolute # it's not a bad tool.

I’m looking for a super easy “puck” to slap on the ARCA rail and get MV at match morning zero sessions.

I have much more testing to do before I trust it completely. There are several sensitivity settings and the scale factors that can be applied. Lots yet for me to learn. I appreciate the heads up on your findings. I’ll be sure and check into that further.

How much variation did you see between mounting locations?

I’m looking for a super easy “puck” to slap on the ARCA rail and get MV at match morning zero sessions.

I have much more testing to do before I trust it completely. There are several sensitivity settings and the scale factors that can be applied. Lots yet for me to learn. I appreciate the heads up on your findings. I’ll be sure and check into that further.

How much variation did you see between mounting locations?

A good 10-25 fps. Even having the magnetospeed on caused some changes. So after I removed the magneto speed, I had to adjust based on the average of the 10 shots I shot with the magnetospeed on.

Interesting. Of course we dont’t know that our Magnetospeeds are spot on either do we? We have to “true” velocity and use DSF to beat to fit the ballistic curves to match our observed impacts. I guess until I get the opportunity to test with the AB mobile lab or the Lapua test center,I won’t know exactly what the numbers should be. Maybe plenty of shooters have already made this comparison and can attest to the accuracy of the ms?

This morning at the range (30 degrees ambient) my ms sporter was picking up 8-9 shots out of 10. Of those 8-9 detected, 1 was always erroneous. +/- 500fps wrong. I deleted the obviously wrong shot from the string on the ms and accepted the others that looked believable and wrote down the stats. But how do I know those weren’t wrong either just not by such obvious amounts?

The fact that you observed the FX giving varying speeds based on location fore and aft is concerning. If it’s not repeatable…it’s worthless to me.

Interesting. Of course we dont’t know that our Magnetospeeds are spot on either do we? We have to “true” velocity and use DSF to beat to fit the ballistic curves to match our observed impacts. I guess until I get the opportunity to test with the AB mobile lab or the Lapua test center,I won’t know exactly what the numbers should be. Maybe plenty of shooters have already made this comparison and can attest to the accuracy of the ms?

This morning at the range (30 degrees ambient) my ms sporter was picking up 8-9 shots out of 10. Of those 8-9 detected, 1 was always erroneous. +/- 500fps wrong. I deleted the obviously wrong shot from the string on the ms and accepted the others that looked believable and wrote down the stats. But how do I know those weren’t wrong either just not by such obvious amounts?

The fact that you observed the FX giving varying speeds based on location fore and aft is concerning. If it’s not repeatable…it’s worthless to me.

That was why I returned it the day after I got it. I really wanted it to work. Spent a good few hours with it. My Labradar matches my Magnetospeed v3 really closely. I just wanted something compact.

$12 worth of ARCA parts off Amazon and I’ve got a rig that I so badly want to work. Tomorrow I will make a simultaneous comparison between the FX radar and MS unit.

My hope is that it is accurate and repeatable. I want to put this on during match zeroing time and quickly gather data while sighting without the poi shift of a MS or the headache of assembling the wiser or mk machining mounts. This thing is so small and compact that it could even be ran during a prone or non “porthole” style stage to verify speeds mid match. Wirelessly. Phone in your pocket or anywhere within Bluetooth range.

More testing to follow.

Attachments

• AE39603D-1F6D-4BB0-BCA8-88B78F5950F7.jpeg
    AE39603D-1F6D-4BB0-BCA8-88B78F5950F7.jpeg
    294.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 863BB49C-10A3-4057-B6E2-F44C7CCA441B.jpeg
    863BB49C-10A3-4057-B6E2-F44C7CCA441B.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 3EFC77BD-0558-4B6A-9C26-6083B9073452.jpeg
    3EFC77BD-0558-4B6A-9C26-6083B9073452.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 243
I was able to get to the range briefly this morning. 58 degrees, heavy mist/drizzle. 800’ DA. I fired over 60 rounds through the FX and Magneto Speed chronos. I tried sliding the FX fore and aft in the ARCA rail about 3” (nose to bipod) and found no impact on measurements. In the video you can see a 10 shot string measured by the FX and MS simultaneously. I am quite amazed by the accuracy of the little radar. I feel like the differences between the two devices is well within the accuracy margins of the MS. You be the judge. More testing to follow over a variety of atmospheric conditions, but initial impressions are promising.

I was able to get to the range briefly this morning. 58 degrees, heavy mist/drizzle. 800’ DA. I fired over 60 rounds through the FX and Magneto Speed chronos. I tried sliding the FX fore and aft in the ARCA rail about 3” (nose to bipod) and found no impact on measurements. In the video you can see a 10 shot string measured by the FX and MS simultaneously. I am quite amazed by the accuracy of the little radar. I feel like the differences between the two devices is well within the accuracy margins of the MS. You be the judge. More testing to follow over a variety of atmospheric conditions, but initial impressions are promising.

Nice! When you removed the Magnetospeed, did it still end up with the same averages? I guess my magnetospeed mount was arca so it got blocked the chrono a little bit.

No change. I had the MS bayonet rotated 90 degrees to one aide. I did have to increase the sensitivity of the FX unit in order to work from the more reward location when attached to the ARCA rail instead of directly behind the crown. Went down one click on sensitivity and it never missed a shot and gathered the data shown in the video.

Anyone comment about this compared to the Labradar? I can get the Labradar to workwith 308 really well, and 223 mostly, but 22lr is a pain.

Anyone comment about this compared to the Labradar? I can get the Labradar to workwith 308 really well, and 223 mostly, but 22lr is a pain.
I had a LabRadar and bought the Piett Recoil Sensor. It did work but it was a Pain in the ass. you had to Arm the radar. then shoot. Then dis arm it & then cycle the bolt. Then rince and repeat. I got tired of it and sold my Lab radar and went back to a V3 MS. I just purchased the GrayOps mount setup and should have it next week. This will make POI shift a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: littlepod
No change. I had the MS bayonet rotated 90 degrees to one aide. I did have to increase the sensitivity of the FX unit in order to work from the more reward location when attached to the ARCA rail instead of directly behind the crown. Went down one click on sensitivity and it never missed a shot and gathered the data shown in the video.
What sensitivity did you use on the arca and when you had it attached to the barrel?
Thanks

The default 20% works fine right behind the muzzle. 10% sensitivity was required to work from the ARCA. -1% calibration had it matching not only my MS sporter as shown in the video but also a V3 that I compared to simultaneously. I have been very happy with the unit.

Reactions: lilhank
The default 20% works fine right behind the muzzle. 10% sensitivity was required to work from the ARCA. -1% calibration had it matching not only my MS sporter as shown in the video but also a V3 that I compared to simultaneously. I have been very happy with the unit.
Awesome, I bought one a couple of weeks ago and was just making sure I had it on the right sensitivity. I don’t have the MS to compare it to.
Thanks

$12 worth of ARCA parts off Amazon and I’ve got a rig that I so badly want to work. Tomorrow I will make a simultaneous comparison between the FX radar and MS unit.

My hope is that it is accurate and repeatable. I want to put this on during match zeroing time and quickly gather data while sighting without the poi shift of a MS or the headache of assembling the wiser or mk machining mounts. This thing is so small and compact that it could even be ran during a prone or non “porthole” style stage to verify speeds mid match. Wirelessly. Phone in your pocket or anywhere within Bluetooth range.

More testing to follow.
Do you have a list of parts you bought to make the arca clamp?
Thanks

Good morning and thanks for posting this...how is the unit doing for you since December?

Unit is performing absolutely flawlessly. I only shoot subsonic match grade ammo. Every match I travel to I put my little puck on my ARCA and confirm MV. Without fail people take notice, ask about it, and have said they are getting one as well. It’s just too easy. Too small. Too convenient.

Unit is performing absolutely flawlessly. I only shoot subsonic match grade ammo. Every match I travel to I put my little puck on my ARCA and confirm MV. Without fail people take notice, ask about it, and have said they are getting one as well. It’s just too easy. Too small. Too convenient.
Excellent....I have one as well...you haven't made any changes to your settings?

Nope. Same as listed above. 10% sensitivity and a -1% calibration adjustment has it matching my MS and a couple others that wanted to prove it to themselves.

Sometimes people say “Oh that’s within 5fps of my MS, I guess that’s accurate enough.” How the hell does anyone know their MS is accurate unless they are simultaneously testing it against a lab radar or other chrono? Only a couple people I know of have ever gone to such lengths.

Nope. Same as listed above. 10% sensitivity and a -1% calibration adjustment has it matching my MS and a couple others that wanted to prove it to themselves.

Sometimes people say “Oh that’s within 5fps of my MS, I guess that’s accurate enough.” How the hell does anyone know their MS is accurate unless they are simultaneously testing it against a lab radar or other chrono? Only a couple people I know of have ever gone to such lengths.
Awesome...thanks so much!

My barrel tends to run faster and usually my Eley match would cloak at 1110 FPS.

Is the 1099 FPS a hard limit ?
1099 is a hard limit. It will not register that round. I have had a few SK Long Range go over the 1100 mark. Magneto Speed caught it and FX did not. I shoot with @Chopping Broccoli almost weekly. I actually have his FX at my house now using it with my Air Rifle for slug testing as my ARCA rail has not come in yet to use my MS. I will be adding an FX to my bag this season as an easier piece to carry to matches.

Reactions: st1650
2C95F0E2-4499-422C-9302-71743990C4C8.jpeg
I figured I’d throw this out there incase anyone is interested in another mounting option.
I rigged this up with a piece of 1” (outside diameter) pipe. I had stainless steel at work but pvc will work just as well. I bought a cheap ($16) set of qd 1” scope rings off Amazon and attached it to the spigot mount on my mpa chassis.

No issues if the settings are correct. With the trigger set on doppler, firearm set to handgun, and the muzzle no more than 6 inch to the side, Labradar works fine for me with .22.

If you were using the "rifle" setting, it likely won't pick up. I use a recoil trigger for all centerfire rifles, but it doesn't work well with the .22 in my experience. I have the airgun/bow mic trigger as well, but the radar trigger setting works well enough I haven't tried it with the .22.

This looks small and interesting, but other than a smaller footprint I don't think this does much for me over the Labradar. If all I shot was .22lr, this would be a great option.

Yep, yep, yep. I think maybe I ‘blew’ the mic as a trigger getting it too close to the barrel.

I got one of those inretail triggers and that really improved things.
The other thing was using the app to drive it, since then I’m not taking it off target trying to press buttons.

Still working out the best way to use the inertial trigger since running the bolt is enough to trigger it. If you are just looking for MV, it does alright, but it doesn’t track very far- that’s just physics compared to larger rounds.