• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tested some factory ammo with the Ruger...

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
Ok, first off I am still in the learning stages. So I took William Roscoe's advise and went get some good match ammo to practice with. So far, I am very impressed with myself for being new to bolt guns.

Three weeks ago I bought 100 rounds of each ammo I tested with. It seems the my rifle likes the Hornady and Black Hills the most. So that will be the ammo I plan to stick with. I have everything I need to reload my own ammo, but I plan to READ and STUDY more before loading the first round. So factory match ammo will have to do for now. I fired one box of each brand just to see what what I could do at 100 yards. So here are the results from the rounds fired. These are the best groups from each type of ammo. <span style="color: #FF0000">PLEASE GIVE ADVISE IF YOU HAVE ANY POINTERS!!!!</span>

Hornady 168gr BTHP Match
DSCI0527.jpg

Black Hills 168gr BTHP Match
DSCI0536.jpg

Federal Gold Metal Match 168gr BTHP
DSCI0531.jpg

Remington 175gr Matchking BTHP
DSCI0529.jpg

Lake City Match 173gr
DSCI0535.jpg

Here is the rifle
DSCI0534.jpg

Re: Tested some factory ammo with the Ruger...

if i am to be honest everything aside from the hornady as the targets apear seems to me horizontal stringing wich is probrably more of a operator error than a ammo thing if there was vertical and horizontal deviation then i would say go team hornady but with what you have shown i think you need to give the others a bit more of a chance and also have a second shooter give it a try. i could be wrong but that is just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if i am to be honest everything aside from the hornady as the targets apear seems to me horizontal stringing wich is probrably more of a operator error than a ammo thing if there was vertical and horizontal deviation then i would say go team hornady but with what you have shown i think you need to give the others a bit more of a chance and also have a second shooter give it a try. i could be wrong but that is just my .02 </div></div>

I have a long ways to go before I can compete with ya'll. Later(hide member) and I plan on going shoot soon. I'll let him try it out.

some of it may be shooters fatigue you said it yourself you are in the learning stages.
but if i have a lot of rounds to go through for load testing etc i usually take the 10/22 along with me to break up the shooting strings and it also alows my barrel to cool off.
based on your targets if you can get the side to side impacts closed up you have got yourself one hell of a rifle

One pointer would be to shoot 5 shot groups instead of three. 5 shot or even better 10 shot groups will give a better indication of the accuracy of the rifle/load combo. Just take your time and let the barrel cool and watch for shooter fatigue.

Wow a Ruger that can shoot. What style McMillian stock are you using? Looks like the Ruger R stock.