• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Testing an intensifier tube

toopoorformore

Witches and Ninjas
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2014
    Camarillo, CA
    Need some help from some of you subject matter experts regarding how to test intensifier tubes.

I MAY have the opportunity to pickup some older tubes pulled from some refurb pvs14s and thought I’d be interested in a new project. Specifically I’m entertaining the idea of building a binocular set of NODs from those tubes.

I’m fairly technical and, after watching several videos and reading about it, I’m fairly confident I can build the NODs myself with some help. Only thing I’m pretty sure I’d need to outsource is the Argon purging. Now, I’ve used NODs for a few years for work but I wouldn’t say I know much more than how to turn them on and use them.

I know a 3v power supply is needed to power the tubes, to confirm they actually turn on, but I’m not exactly sure on how to check for any obvious (large) blem without the housing. I’ve read a convex lens brought behind the tube powered up can help focus to look for blems but I don’t have any further information aside from that. I’m only going to buy a housing if I can confirm the tubes are in…..alright condition.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I thank you all in advance for your time and effort. I’m sure someone is gonna tell me I’m special needs for not just buying a set but I can’t justify spending that kind of money for something I’m just gonna play around on my property with.

Last edited:
    i would surmise a pvs-14 occular lens would suffice for viewing for blems. are you given the opportunity to view before you buy? seems like a interesting option that usually whom your buying from would have the ability to view the tube. personally i wouldn't bother with nitrogen purging a housing unless youre in a real humid environment.

yes, I can check out from a decent cache of tubes that were pulled from existing devices that needed repair. Since the tubes are already removed and we don’t have any “donor” housing to connect them to, since they’ve since been refurbished in some way and back in circulation, I’m stuck in the stone ages trying to use a lens to view any blems.

So would you recommend just finding a dark closet to power the device and simply hold up an ocular lens near the end of the tube to view? Seems too simple…haha.

And thanks for the info on the purging. I would have probably searched high and low for a person who could argon purge.