• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

testing various ammo for accuracy?

Re: testing various ammo for accuracy?

Grouping at maximum range they will be used on a calm day. I will go with the best average of groups at 240yds every time over bugholes at 50yds.

I went to the store and got about 10-15 different types of ammo (wolf, cci, remington, fiocchi, etc.) and then tested them at 50yds for accuracy. I chose 50yds as that was the distance I was going to be shooting at. Ultimately I ended up with Wolf Match Target (now SK Standard Plus) as it has shot sub-moa out of my 10/22. Luckily that accuracy has extended to 100yds as well.

I would suggest trying as many types of ammo as you're comfortable with and testing them at theranges you'll shoot. It's been said that a good 100yd ammo might suck tits at 200, but some excellent 200yd ammos will suck at 100. I also wouldn't bother with velocity testing as that would show up as vertical stringing in accuracy testing. Just keep in mind that 22lr barrels are each very unique and finding the right combo will take time. But its definitely worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grouping at maximum range they will be used on a calm day. I will go with the best average of groups at 240yds every time over bugholes at 50yds. </div></div>

This.

yea im runnin my 22 from 25 to 300+ as far as i can push it

running a cz452 and they have a reputation for loving one or two brands and nothing else

Hoff once you find a good brand i would like to know. Probably getting a cz as well and would be interested.

from my experience,if you want to test the ammo,use 50yd. i chased my tail for about a year with guns,ammo,scopes. with 22 rf 100yd is just too far to be able to limit input from different variables and isolate the various factors(IMHO).

alright well got 7 types of ammo already still need some match ammo to test as well but looking like im going to run tests at 50 then the best of tjose will get tested at 100.

im thinking (3) 5 shot groups from each brand the average the groups and sort like that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alright well got 7 types of ammo already still need some match ammo to test as well but looking like im going to run tests at 50 then the best of tjose will get tested at 100.

im thinking (3) 5 shot groups from each brand the average the groups and sort like that</div></div>

This is how I do it. It's what works best for me, so take it with a grain of salt.

Any given ammo gets tested on a 4x5 at 50 yards. I use the first bull for sighting in, and the following three bulls for groups.

If it doesn't shoot worth crap (most bulk and cheap ammo), I just put whatever is left over back into a box and label that brand as my positional practice ammo. I'll also pull that stuff out if conditions are especially bad and I don't feel like wasting the more expensive/better shooting ammo.

Anything that performs "good enough" and above on the 4x5 @ 50 yards gets noted and I move out to 100 yards (as long as the conditions are great, if not then I wait) with the leftover 30 rounds. Two TQ4 targets placed side by side. The left target gets 5 sighters and then the right target gets the rest of the 25 rounds. It's a good way to show you how the rifle and ammo combo is going to average out.

You'll notice that if you shoot 5-shot groups at 100 yards with 22lr, you're going to get a lot of variation between groups in terms of size. This is exaggerated with the cheap stuff, and I feel that if you fire 25 rounds all at once you really get to see what happens over time instead of seeing crap groups and great groups mixed in with your average groups.

Once I know how each ammo does at 100 yards I'll go and buy another box of the best performers and take all 50 rounds to the 200 yard line. This is where it really becomes important that you the shooter do everything right because even the slightest breeze can through the little 40 grain bullets a far ways off target. Ideal conditions are a MUST when you are testing ammo. Then after the 200 yard testing is done, I'll sometimes play around on steel at 300. I'm not a good enough shot to compete in the 300 yard competitions yet, but someday I'll get there and when that day comes I'll be testing all my best ammo at 300 yards to see what works out the best for me. But, chances are, you're not going to see very conclusive data at the 300 yard line while shooting crap ammo. Most of the supersonic velocity offerings seem to fall apart when they pass 75 yards. It's because they go transonic but if you shoot match ammo like almost everybody else you won't have to worry about that.

I hope this helps but again, this is just how I do things for the type of shooting I personally do. I'm a FIRM believer that you should find the ammo that works best at the specific distance you will be shooting at. But if you shoot at variable distances (i.e. tactical comps) then I would suggest the ammo that shoots the best at longer distances. Like armorpl8tchikn said, "I will go with the best average of groups at 240yds every time over bugholes at 50yds."

However if you shoot at one distance much more often than any other then find what works best at THAT distance and use that ammo for all your shooting. Almost everything shoots great at 25 yards so don't even waste your time and money by shooting at 25...

One last thing, alot of the brands use different coatings on their cases/bullets so you'll want to run a boresnake through the barrel every time you switch ammo types. This will keep your data consistent and repeatable.

Okay, that wasn't the last thing, but this is: Take meticulous notes and keep the best records that you possibly can!!!! It pays dividends to take the time to mark every group and note all conditions and such. Rimfire shooting is such a massive game of trial and error that sometimes it gets annoying but if you keep track of what is what then I'm sure you won't get too frustrated
wink.gif

Sorry for the long winded post, I hope it helps in some way.

-Dylan

thanks so much that helps a lot

looks like rain most of the week but hopefully i can get a day to go to the range. got storms on the way for moning with winds up to 45-50mph.

One thing I would add to what Dylan said, make sure and write down the lot number of your ammo....it can matter immensely.

I will tell you that Federal 922A is probably good ammo in your rifle. Telling you the magic lot numbers? Well now that would cost you some actual money
smile.gif

there is truth in the critique of 50yd rf testing-ammo,guns or scopes. many guns/ammo/scopes will do well @ 50 and fall apart @ 100+. just speaking of starting points here. starting @ 100 for testing just doesn't work,unless your name is carlos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is truth in the critique of 50yd rf testing-ammo,guns or scopes. many guns/ammo/scopes will do well @ 50 and fall apart @ 100+. just speaking of starting points here. starting @ 100 for testing just doesn't work,unless your name is carlos. </div></div>

Works for me. My name is Joe, glad to meet you. Had no idea I would ever be compared with Carlos. Thanks.

Here you go:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2390014&page=1

Check out this thread and the match reports. The guys that run at the top of the pack every month test their ammo at 210yds and 240yds. That is how you determine how consistent your ammo is. Just like a ladder test, you look at the vertical not the horizontal. If it is great at 210 it will be good enough at 50....without fail but it does NOT work the other way around.

the question was originally about inital testing for effectiveness with a 22. not what is possible with one. the results often shown here with a 22rf are,of course,remarkable. but i think inital testing at 100+ is futile. was for me,but i'm not that good a shot. when you test any mulitvariable process,you uniform all factors but one. basic scientific method. i don't think one would start testing a 1000 yd package @ 1000.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the question was originally about inital testing for effectiveness with a 22. not what is possible with one. the results often shown here with a 22rf are,of course,remarkable. but i think inital testing at 100+ is futile. was for me,but i'm not that good a shot. when you test any mulitvariable process,you uniform all factors but one. basic scientific method. i don't think one would start testing a 1000 yd package @ 1000. </div></div>

No Mike that was not the question originally. You should quote the original question instead of trying to make it more closely support your position. You keep saying it doesn't work for you and then give information trying to prove it doesn't work for anyone, or that it is ineffective or somehow breaks SM protocol.
The original heading of this thread is: Testing various ammo for accuracy.
We can assume he means only 22 rimfire here. First and formost you cannot compare what you do with a centerfire to how you may or may not test a 22 rimfire. You personally have no control over the ammo that you use in a 22lr. You have infinite control over your centerfire if you handload. And by the way, when I test my 1000yd plus rifle for accuracy, I shoot it at 1000yds. I don't test it at 100yds and get a .320 group and call it 1/3 MOA rifle. I see plenty of that around here in the rimfire section as well when guys get a 50yd group that is sub MOA.
Most people here talk in terms of their trainer rifle. If you have a trainer then you need to test its ammo at the maximum range you plan to train. If you have a plinker then you need to test your ammo at 50yds, that will be fine.
Starting in March we will be shooting for cash every month until October. Everyone I know that is in the winners circle or close to it is testing their ammo at max distance of engagement. But hell what do we know. Do it any way you want.

I am probably weird but I have gone to a single 25round string at 100yards. I feel like with a .22 the most consistent ammo, not necessarily the smallest groups, work the best for what I want. If brand X will put all 25 rounds into 2" at 100 it is a better choice than brand 7 that put 20 rounds under 1" but had significant fliers with the other 5.

I keep meaning to break out a chrono to see if the consistent ammo is based on consistent velocities but have not done so yet. I am also a little different that I dont care for the subsonic ammo for extended ranges, I prefer typical speed stuff and find the extra speed helps my lack of ability in reading the wind when shooting steel. My favorite ammo right now is regular old CCI minimag which is giving me 1250fps from my old remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike f</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the question was originally about inital testing for effectiveness with a 22. not what is possible with one. the results often shown here with a 22rf are,of course,remarkable. but i think inital testing at 100+ is futile. was for me,but i'm not that good a shot. when you test any mulitvariable process,you uniform all factors but one. basic scientific method. i don't think one would start testing a 1000 yd package @ 1000. </div></div>

No Mike that was not the question originally. You should quote the original question instead of trying to make it more closely support your position. You keep saying it doesn't work for you and then give information trying to prove it doesn't work for anyone, or that it is ineffective or somehow breaks SM protocol.
The original heading of this thread is: Testing various ammo for accuracy.
We can assume he means only 22 rimfire here. First and formost you cannot compare what you do with a centerfire to how you may or may not test a 22 rimfire. You personally have no control over the ammo that you use in a 22lr. You have infinite control over your centerfire if you handload. And by the way, when I test my 1000yd plus rifle for accuracy, I shoot it at 1000yds. I don't test it at 100yds and get a .320 group and call it 1/3 MOA rifle. I see plenty of that around here in the rimfire section as well when guys get a 50yd group that is sub MOA.
Most people here talk in terms of their trainer rifle. If you have a trainer then you need to test its ammo at the maximum range you plan to train. If you have a plinker then you need to test your ammo at 50yds, that will be fine.
Starting in March we will be shooting for cash every month until October. Everyone I know that is in the winners circle or close to it is testing their ammo at max distance of engagement. But hell what do we know. Do it any way you want. </div></div>
I have learned firsthand that by keeping my mouth closed and watching I can learn alot. This is the mindset I take to any match I attend never believing I have all the answers and therefore nothing more to learn. I have found that I always learn something new each day I lay behind my rifle or attend a competition. With that said my rimfire game has greatly improved since I began shooting with Joe and the many others at thier clubs matches. Experience is always the best teacher and I have learned from these guys experience by watching and laying on the firing line beside of them. Pushing the envelope of a rimfire to distances greater than 100 yards to some may seem to be an impossible concept to comprehend but never the less it is able to be done with repeatable results if a shooter takes the time to watch, listen, learn, and apply. I to do all my ammo testing at the max distances I am preparing to shoot. Joe mentions 240 yards since this is the max distance of target engagement at his clubs tactical rimfire match. I to attend and test my ammo using the same criteria. If a shooter is ever going to excel in our great sport he/she must always be willing to push thier skills and equipment to the very edge of thier equipments capability and when that goal is aquired be willing to push a little further. A great mind put it like this,"It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience."- Albert Einstien.
Real life results always trump theory!

Barry

i agree 100% that is the same thing i do at matches i attend. this is the 1st rimfire i have owned that is capable of repeated accuracy at 200+ yds my old trainer was hit and miss and i spent more time wasting ammo than learning anything due to poor accuracy.

i went to the range today to test ammo but didnt make it out until dusk. the tasco scope was pitiful in the lowlight conditions and my shooting reflected that, i will post pics of my targets but will redo the test durring the day later this week.

first is to start with a good foundation, front and rear support for the rifle, usually off a bench. second is going on a day where wind isn't a factor, or at least not that much of one. a day that there isn't much anticipated temperature swing.

i start at 50 yards. i think 25 yards is just too close to determine differences.

i weigh out rounds before i go to the range, and put them in random order to make sure they are random in weight so as not to have a pattern that skews the results. i shoot 10 shot groups through both a clean and dirty barrel. some rifle / ammo combos prefer clean, most rimfires like it dirty. i'll use a chrony here to at figure out an average FPS and standard deviation of each ammo. that data could be used later for drop charts. sometimes though a low deviation / constant powder charge don't mean much if the bullet flies weird down range. i'll wait at least 30 seconds between shots.

i'll dry swab the barrel between each ammo change and fire 5 rounds off target to get any residue (lube, fouling, etc.) left behind from the other ammo. for the "clean" barrel testing, i'll swab it once more before the string of 10.

i'll do that at 50 yards, then move to 100, doing the same with each ammo. then i'll go to 200 yards. any known pulls i'll omit and fire another in it's place. if there is a doubt of a pull or an off powder charge, i'll check the chrony for a way out of average FPS reading. at that point i'll classify the off-charge as a flyer.

i'll rate each ammo in group size at all three ranges both with the clean (CBR) and dirty (DBR) barrels. i'll note the number of flyers (flyer rating / ratio or FR). i'll add the three numbers up and divde by three and give that ammo a number (example 1.5"CBR + .75"DBR + 2FR = 4.25 divided by 3 = 1.416 rating) for each distance. then i add the assigned number at the three distances and divide by three to give me the final ranking (or multi yard rating MYR). the lower the MYR number, the better consistant the ammo throughout all three ranges.

i also use a VR or value rating - it factors in the price per round to see if the price paid per round is worth the performance gotten out of it.

change rifles and usually this all goes out the window.

some ammos shoot great at 50 and are really bad at 100. some are not so good at 50 as others, but are better at 100 than those that whooped it at 50. some work well across all three distances. the one that stays consistant at all three distances gets my vote, and using objective data keeps opinion or speculation out of the equation.

i may give up a little at one distance, but gain it back elsewhere. just playing the percentages.