• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas Brigade Armory

Tex1970

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2008
Seattle, Washington . USA
Well I finally got my TBA rifle for the third time, and most of the problems were fixed except for one thing, Mr. Lau sent me the wrong rifle. The stock appeared to be an A5 McMillan but the paint was painted on, and it had multiple spots without paint, and gobs of some sort of material in the paint. Not to mention the pits and imperfections. The bolts that hold the integral cheek piece, one was square to stock, the other at a 45 to stock. At first given how well the rest of the barreled action looked I thought well I'll just send it to McMillan and get it fixed even though it was a new rifle and stock that cost me $3700.00 and I had sent it back two previous times after two full years of waiting. I called McMillan and the lady I talked to at McMillan said it was a life time guarantee stock until I told her who the builder of my rifle was. She then stated that Mr.Lau had been modifying A2 and A3 stocks into A5 by installing the saddle or integral cheek piece, and if this was one of those it voided the warranty. She said if I sent her pics she could tell if it had been modified, or if it was a true A5. I called Mr.Lau and told him of my disappointment at the appearance of the stock and my desire to just get a reimbursement of my money and move on, He then stated he had sent me the wrong rifle and to his credit he agreed and sent me my money, at which point I sent his rifle back to him. So to me Mr.Lau and I are square, does that mean I could recommend him or his company for a rifle build H+++ No. First time rifle not finished, second time wrong color stock and wrong bolt for the rifle, third time Mike guaranteed me he would do the work himself, yet he sent the completely wrong rifle, was work done by Mike Hell no, who I don't know, rank amateur at best, did it shoot 1/4 minute of angle I honestly don't know or care if you can't get the right rifle to me how can I even begin to believe you can make a rifle that shoots that good. SO now I turn my interest to GA Precision and a rifle build from them. I have faith they will build a good rifle and timely. Just My personal experience, if this offends I am sorry, sometimes the truth hurts. Let the buyer beware. Tex

Re: Texas Brigade Armory

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well I finally got my TBA rifle for the third time, and most of the problems were fixed except for one thing, Mr. Lau sent me the wrong rifle. The stock appeared to be an A5 McMillan but the paint was painted on, and it had multiple spots without paint, and gobs of some sort of material in the paint. Not to mention the pits and imperfections. The bolts that hold the integral cheek piece, one was square to stock, the other at a 45 to stock. At first given how well the rest of the barreled action looked I thought well I'll just send it to McMillan and get it fixed even though it was a new rifle and stock that cost me $3700.00 and I had sent it back two previous times after two full years of waiting. I called McMillan and the lady I talked to at McMillan said it was a life time guarantee stock until I told her who the builder of my rifle was. She then stated that Mr.Lau had been modifying A2 and A3 stocks into A5 by installing the saddle or integral cheek piece, and if this was one of those it voided the warranty. She said if I sent her pics she could tell if it had been modified, or if it was a true A5. I called Mr.Lau and told him of my disappointment at the appearance of the stock and my desire to just get a reimbursement of my money and move on, He then stated he had sent me the wrong rifle and to his credit he agreed and sent me my money, at which point I sent his rifle back to him. So to me Mr.Lau and I are square, does that mean I could recommend him or his company for a rifle build H+++ No. First time rifle not finished, second time wrong color stock and wrong bolt for the rifle, third time Mike guaranteed me he would do the work himself, yet he sent the completely wrong rifle, was work done by Mike Hell no, who I don't know, rank amateur at best, did it shoot 1/4 minute of angle I honestly don't know or care if you can't get the right rifle to me how can I even begin to believe you can make a rifle that shoots that good. SO now I turn my interest to GA Precision and a rifle build from them. I have faith they will build a good rifle and timely. Just My personal experience, if this offends I am sorry, sometimes the truth hurts. Let the buyer beware. Tex </div></div>

Spencers Custom Guns
4107 Jacobs Creek Dr
Scottsville, VA 24590 Map
(434) 293-6836

Try this guy. Ive been to his shop and seen the trophys on his walls. he makes some of the best in the world and prices are very competative.

So you wasted 2 years of your life waiting on a rifle you partially paid for and in the end... sent it back for a refund.

Priceless.

Look on the bright side...Just think of all the money TBA saved you on ammo over 2 years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well I finally got my TBA rifle for the third time, and most of the problems were fixed except for one thing, Mr. Lau sent me the wrong rifle. The stock appeared to be an A5 McMillan but <span style="color: #FF0000">the paint was painted on</span>, and it had multiple spots without paint, and gobs of some sort of material in the paint. Not to mention the pits and imperfections. The bolts that hold the integral cheek piece, one was square to stock, the other at a 45 to stock. At first given how well the rest of the barreled action looked I thought well I'll just send it to McMillan and get it fixed even though it was a new rifle and stock that cost me $3700.00 and I had sent it back two previous times after two full years of waiting. I called McMillan and the lady I talked to at McMillan said it was a life time guarantee stock until I told her who the builder of my rifle was. She then stated that Mr.Lau had been modifying A2 and A3 stocks into A5 by installing the saddle or integral cheek piece, and if this was one of those it voided the warranty. She said if I sent her pics she could tell if it had been modified, or if it was a true A5. I called Mr.Lau and told him of my disappointment at the appearance of the stock and my desire to just get a reimbursement of my money and move on, He then stated he had sent me the wrong rifle and to his credit he agreed and sent me my money, at which point I sent his rifle back to him. So to me Mr.Lau and I are square, does that mean I could recommend him or his company for a rifle build H+++ No. First time rifle not finished, second time wrong color stock and wrong bolt for the rifle, third time Mike guaranteed me he would do the work himself, yet he sent the completely wrong rifle, was work done by Mike Hell no, who I don't know, rank amateur at best, did it shoot 1/4 minute of angle I honestly don't know or care if you can't get the right rifle to me how can I even begin to believe you can make a rifle that shoots that good. SO now I turn my interest to GA Precision and a rifle build from them. I have faith they will build a good rifle and timely. Just My personal experience, if this offends I am sorry, sometimes the truth hurts. Let the buyer beware. Tex </div></div>

You have got to be kidding me?!
He actually had the nerve to paint the paint on!? what a jerk!
You should have burned it and sent the ashes back to him in a used coffee can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYSHOOTER338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well I finally got my TBA rifle for the third time, and most of the problems were fixed except for one thing, Mr. Lau sent me the wrong rifle. The stock appeared to be an A5 McMillan but <span style="color: #FF0000">the paint was painted on</span>, and it had multiple spots without paint, and gobs of some sort of material in the paint. Not to mention the pits and imperfections. The bolts that hold the integral cheek piece, one was square to stock, the other at a 45 to stock. At first given how well the rest of the barreled action looked I thought well I'll just send it to McMillan and get it fixed even though it was a new rifle and stock that cost me $3700.00 and I had sent it back two previous times after two full years of waiting. I called McMillan and the lady I talked to at McMillan said it was a life time guarantee stock until I told her who the builder of my rifle was. She then stated that Mr.Lau had been modifying A2 and A3 stocks into A5 by installing the saddle or integral cheek piece, and if this was one of those it voided the warranty. She said if I sent her pics she could tell if it had been modified, or if it was a true A5. I called Mr.Lau and told him of my disappointment at the appearance of the stock and my desire to just get a reimbursement of my money and move on, He then stated he had sent me the wrong rifle and to his credit he agreed and sent me my money, at which point I sent his rifle back to him. So to me Mr.Lau and I are square, does that mean I could recommend him or his company for a rifle build H+++ No. First time rifle not finished, second time wrong color stock and wrong bolt for the rifle, third time Mike guaranteed me he would do the work himself, yet he sent the completely wrong rifle, was work done by Mike Hell no, who I don't know, rank amateur at best, did it shoot 1/4 minute of angle I honestly don't know or care if you can't get the right rifle to me how can I even begin to believe you can make a rifle that shoots that good. SO now I turn my interest to GA Precision and a rifle build from them. I have faith they will build a good rifle and timely. Just My personal experience, if this offends I am sorry, sometimes the truth hurts. Let the buyer beware. Tex </div></div>

You have got to be kidding me?!
He actually had the nerve to paint the paint on!? what a jerk!
You should have burned it and sent the ashes back to him in a used coffee can.
</div></div>

I think he was saying as opposed to molded in color.

could be that. but TBA shouldnt be modifying the stocks for any reason. thats means a few different things but I think the main point would be that Lau is buying a cheaper stock then dressing them up, to get more money out of people.

PLus that was mostly sarcasm, just messing with the OP a little.

Ive almost always used Duracoat to finish my firearms and when applied correctly you would be very hard pressed to get it to come off. He might be going a cheaper route.

Where's all the TBA sack suckers now to tell you how great his work is and how worthwhile it is at the end of the waiting.....all I here are crickets.

Tex,

Sorry for your experience. I wish you better luck in the future.

there are some that buy them mcmillan stocks as a solid chunk of fiberglass....as in not even inlet'd and then got the cnc programs to make whatever......i'm just sayin the crickets need to know

i guess crickets get sand in their vagina sometimes too

Well Boltripper if what you say is correct then why does McMillan then consider the life time guarantee void if the stock is modified, just saying what I was told either way a man sells you a new A5 it should be new and color should me molded in not spray painted on with crap in the paint and white spots where it was rubbed off or missed, you tell me. Either way Thanks for the support and no worries I will be a much savyer buyer next time.
Tex

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well Boltripper if what you say is correct then why does McMillan then consider the life time guarantee void if the stock is modified, just saying what I was told either way a man sells you a new A5 it should be new and color should me molded in not spray painted on with crap in the paint and white spots where it was rubbed off or missed, you tell me. Either way Thanks for the support and no worries I will be a much savyer buyer next time.
Tex</div></div>

i have personally seen the mcmillan stocks fresh from the mold un-adulterated.....the gunplumbers get 'em cheaper that way and get supplied from the maker the programs to inlet for the various bottom metal available....its just the way of the world

i also witness other folks weapons that i see in FIVE different states that i go to, to compete....most are anal about accuracy and not really too concerned about the paint.....in fact the salty out there seem to have stock in the company that makes rattle can krylon......in several flavors

.....IT'S A FUCKING TOOL....

but if one must i guess a pretty rifle is best for the safe queen society amongst us.........carry on i'll be in the forums all day tomorrow.

night night

Tell me this, how the fuck do you add a saddle cheek piece to an A2 or A3 and make it appear to be an A5? I don't swing from Mikes nuts but have three TBA rifles. They are not perfect and I don't care, they are tools. I have my doubts any builder can satisfy you, since you's a savyer buyer......Just saying.

Here's a cricket for you, Im sorry the OP had a bad experience.

I DO love my TBA rifle. Was it worth the wait? Yup, every day of it. But i didnt wait 2 years or go thru what the OP did.

I have a TBA as well. Mike said 8 to 10 months wait. Ended up more like 16 months. Finally took a phone call (when he did answer the phone) to say send me my rifle or a refund. And it was still a month later that I did get my rifle.

It was excuse after excuse. Screen calls. And when I would leave a message about adding something to my rifle he's pick up when he saw more dollar signs.

My rifle finally arrived. The barrel has busted a hole in the plastic case it was sent in and was hanging out of the box. The handrail on the forearm was made of 2 pieces of metal. Scraps probably. The bolt face was bare steel. Wasn't finished.

Really just a bad experience. I do know they are tools, but I also expect a certain level of finish and craftsmanship when paying thousands of dollars for something.

There is no way I would recommend them. This was a long time ago and it seems things haven't changed.

Cut

They seem pretty piss poor for being so prestigious and expensive....
I wouldnt wait 10 months for a rifle that cost me over 3g's and wasnt finished out.

Heads would roll.

Got my TBA back in '98, and it's been a tackdriver from day one. That said, I've had GAP do all the work (bolt knob, bbl chop) since, and will continue to use them.

I've got several and the only problem I had, was waiting for them. Other than that, all of mine have been perfect in finish and function. Just saying....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutlawTen5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got several and the only problem I had, was waiting for them. Other than that, all of mine have been perfect in finish and function. Just saying.... </div></div>

Didn't you buy one from me? I think you bought my TBA if I remember right... When I had it I didn't have any major issues. I didn't have a problem slapping a 15"x15" piece of metal at 1000 meters. It was a great shooter but like everyone else, I waited for a long time. I waited 13 months before I finally got the rifle that came in a box.

From Iraq,
Lw

Let's all be clear tba stands for " texas brigade armory "
Not " Thunderbolt Action "
B/C look at my 18" 308 forsale b/c it is Flawless and will only have to wait a couple of day after you pay for it. for it to be shipped.

My TBA M-25 took forever but shot lights out once I got it.

Hey boltripper the shear force of your statement says it all. No I am not a sniper, nor have I ever claimed to be one, my days as a reserve off. were decades ago, was it to be a safe queen, sometimes for sure. I admit to a major flaw in my character, if someone tells me something I believe them and expect them to follow through. If someone strings me along, or out right lies to me, and then can't get it right three different times? Why should I believe they can make a rifle that drives tacks if they can't even get the color right on my order. Could he please me yea first time finish the rifle, second time send the right bolt for the rifle, and third time how about the correct rifle, I know I am being picky, and its a crime to tell the truth about a sacred cow to some people but get over it and yourself, oh and I will be here from now on salty cool breeze. Just my opinion.
Tex

......this is getting to be like a Soap Oprah

normally i go for the popcorn about now.....but there is something sexy about your whining.....

If I'm issued a gun, it's a tool. If I pay several G's for a gun, it better be craftsmanship at its best. And Even if it is a tool, there's nothing wrong with the fit and finish looking good. As it should when you pay a lot of money for a custom rifle.

Bottom line, sounds like the gentleman didn't get what he paid for / what was promised him in a lot of different ways.

That said, mistakes happen to even the best and things get broken...the world is imperfect sometimes. The thing I'm interested most in is how TBA is making it right & what kind of customer service they have when the inevitable mistakes happen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well Boltripper if what you say is correct then why does McMillan then consider the life time guarantee void if the stock is modified, just saying what I was told either way a man sells you a new A5 it should be new and color should me molded in not spray painted on with crap in the paint and white spots where it was rubbed off or missed, you tell me. Either way Thanks for the support and no worries I will be a much savyer buyer next time.
Tex</div></div>

i have personally seen the mcmillan stocks fresh from the mold un-adulterated.....the gunplumbers get 'em cheaper that way and get supplied from the maker the programs to inlet for the various bottom metal available....its just the way of the world

i also witness other folks weapons that i see in FIVE different states that i go to, to compete....most are anal about accuracy and not really too concerned about the paint.....in fact the salty out there seem to have stock in the company that makes rattle can krylon......in several flavors

.....IT'S A FUCKING TOOL....

but if one must i guess a pretty rifle is best for the safe queen society amongst us.........carry on i'll be in the forums all day tomorrow.

night night </div></div>

BT,

Normally I can agree with a lot of what you post.

However, this really has nothing to do with whether or not a particular buyer wants pretty, wants krylon, looks at his rifle as a tool, or a showpiece. What matters is the utter lack of honesty, professionalism, and all around piss poor performance that the OP was treated too. From post after post this is not exactly new when it comes to TBA.

Call the OP a whiny bitch or a cricket etc. But when you pay for something, agree on the service or product to be provided and the other party fails like an double leg amputee at a jumprope contest, you have every right to be pissed.

If you disagree with any of the above, I will patiently be awaiting $3000 in funds for your future rifle which I will provide in my own good time, built to whatever shit standard I decide on when the time comes.
grin.gif

Thanks gentlemen I will end my thread with this. Mike Lau must have made great rifles at one time, and may even still, but was that my experience no. I hope his business prospers and so does he, he has reimbursed me in full the money I originally paid so we are square. My only interest in this post was to bring to light the problems I had and to warn others looking to spend their hard earned money not to make the same mistakes I did. If you read all the previous posts you will find I made a bunch. If you want a TBA rifle great it's your money and your choice I merely point out what I experienced. Thanks for the support gentlemen, and the cute one liners from the peanut gallery.
Tex