• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas Brigade Armory

mackdrvr

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
NY....Hudson Valley
They look like they do a very good M 40 A1 clone. Does anyone have any pros and cons about them? Do they do all their machining, and or fitting in their shop, or do they outsource their work? Thanks in advance.

P.S. How do they compare to the GAP M 40 A1 clones?

Re: Texas Brigade Armory

As far as I know it's all in house.

If you're not LE or mil you might want to explore other avenues should you be the impatient type.

I'm kinda impatient. I heard they do have long waiting periods for civilians. Anyone have a ballpark time frame for a GAP M 40 A1 clone?

TBA does all their work in house, but it's basically a 1 man operation, so if you're impatient, like said above, look elsewhere. If you're patient, they're amazing rifles.

Wouldn't you want to get a GAP rifle from GAP?

Understand Mike has a 3 man operation at the moment unless the college kids quite on him.

Think year(s)

I think he was saying since he isn't patient what is the time frame for one from GAP.
Its about6 months from what George told me last week.

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be calling GAP in the near future for an M 40 A1 build up. Happy Holidays.

Mike built by first tactical rifle. He’s very meticulous and thorough in his work. If you have the time to wait, you’ll be extremely happy with your rifle. It doesn’t leave his shop until it’s perfect. Mike’s craftsmanship and skills are some of the best in the industry.

I've also owned two GAP rifles and they were fine rifles. GAP has a quicker turn-around and they all three rifles shot lights out. I've since sold all three although I wish I had kept my TBA.

The only dig Mike gets from folks is he's extremly hard to get hold of and in the past was not the best at calling someone back in a timely fashion.

TBA is not a big shop, basically it is Mike Lau.
Mike puts Military / LEO work at the head of the list, as he should.
So be prepared to wait but also be prepared to get a top quality rifle once it is done.

I had a M40A3 built by Mike Lau a few years back. Pros are your going to get a .25 MOA rifle.

Pros:
1.A beautiful tac driver
2.No deposit for another build
3.Price

Cons:
1.Time it takes to get a rifle. I waited 12 months.
2.MIL/LE have priority over civilian build's.

Lw

I dropped off components for my third TBA rifle in July. After seeing this thread this morning, I called Mike and was told it will be ready next week. 6XC on a Rem 700 with A3 stock. Merry Christmas to me.......hehehe.

I first custom gun was a TBA M40A3. It was to be a LE duty rifle but that did not matter when it came time for the rifle to show up. It was months late, the clip slotting looked as though it was done with a hack saw and file, the finish came off with solvent and the chamber was so tight it would not fire Fed Gold Match or BHM.

My PD also purchased a rifle from TBA that was along the same lines.

Both rifles had to be replaced.

Since then I have purchased rifles from HD, GAP and DD Ross.

My duty gun is a GAP H2 Harbinger. Price, Quality, Timely service it all goes to GAP. There are several other smiths out there who are making kick ass rifles, Terry Cross is one of them.

An M40 clone does not need pixy dust to build. Tell GAP or KMW you want an M40 clone. It will be built to the letter of the specs and you will be happy.... Or you can roll the dice.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I appreciate the various comments. I'm gonna go with GAP. I've seen a few of their clones along with all the other various rifles on these pages, and they are really works of art. Also you guys talk of being able to call GAP, and talk to the people in charge. To me being able to talk to the folks who run the company, and who are building your rifle is very important. Thanks again, and have a safe holiday season. Scott

Hello Scott.

Placed my order with George on an M40A1 three weeks ago. Geroge has been really patient with me as I changed from a 100% clone to more of a "tribute" (ADJ HTG stock, extra stud for BiPod, flush cup swivels, Badger M4 bottom metal). When we finalised the spec three weeks ago George advised around a 7 - 8 month wait. From everything I read on the Hide it'll be well worth the wait.

I was also considering TBA as I heard great things about them too but I never got any reply to my enquiry - maybe because I'm ouside the US?

Thats great BasraBoy! 7-8 months is fine, I could handle that. Just make sure you post lots of pictures for us to drool over! Happy Holidays.

Mike Lau, is this the guy just down the road from Tac-Pro?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike Lau, is this the guy just down the road from Tac-Pro?</div></div>

Their address is given on the website as Texas Brigade Armory, 34280 N. State Hwy 108, Mingus, TX 76463

I went with Mike, and my first 5 shot group was 3/4" at 200 yards with my 260 Rem / 308 switch barrel a few weeks ago. The rifle is gorgeous, and I would go to him again.

I thought I recognized the name, nice guy who did a modification to a friends pistol while we waited.

I have never seen so many McMillan stocks in one place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never seen so many McMillan stocks in one place. </div></div>

+1. The last time I was there he had just got a shipment of 4 stocks from McMillian. I was to buy one.

Mike does GREAT work, but you might be waiting a while to get your rifle.

Mike built my M40A3 and I cannot be happier. His work was outstanding and his .25 MOA guarantee is no BS. Yes, I agree it take Mike a long time to get the rifle done after you place your order, but he works very hard to accomodate your desires and the end product is nothing short of fantastic. If I ever get the cast together to order a .338 LM, I will order it from Texas Brigade Armory. He also gives discounts to members of the armed forces and probably LE.

Mike built me this M25, which shot 2" groups at 300 yards.

21lmz9f.jpg

The only reason I sold it was to build another on an LRB integrated scope mount receiver.

2zzs4et.jpg

Mike does take a while. But, his work is more than excellent, especially for the price. Has accurized some of my rimfires (and centers) before and at times didn't charge me on some things because he liked doing it (he likes rimfires like I do). He is worth the wait. If you rush him and bug him about it he will take longer, or, in worse case, he will send you back a hack(basically what you are asking for). Other than that, Mike won't send out anything that isn't a hammer. Even if it is accurizing a factory gun.
While we are on the subject, it should be known that Mike was the very first to build the A1 for the civilian market after "Storm". He Brought it to market in 1992 at the big gun show in Dallas. I'm just stating that he has ALOT of experience with the rifle and was one of the first in this long range, civilian sniper rifle stuff. You can't dismiss experience, meticulous work and price. Especially if they come all in one package. Right or wrong?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mackdrvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They look like they do a very good M 40 A1 clone. Does anyone have any pros and cons about them? Do they do all their machining, and or fitting in their shop, or do they outsource their work? Thanks in advance.

P.S. How do they compare to the GAP M 40 A1 clones?</div></div>

When I got my clone the two companies I approached were TBA and GAP. Sorry to say I NEVER got an answer to the mails I sent to TBA but GAP were straight back to me.

I'm sure the work TBA do is fine, I understand the Mil/Civ priority (same as I found with AI) and maybe they don't do builds for export sales....but I wish they'd at least have replied and told me so.

Not that I'm sorry - George and the guys at GAP did a fine job and I know they build an accurate clone.

You have to call Mike. Sometimes call over and over 'till he answers. He lives in his shop and his family lives in Dallas (abt 2 hours away). When he goes home he is slammed with messages, sometimes so many he can't check. Mike is a gunsmith, not a big company with a receptionist. If you look at his website, it says not to email him. Too much volume.

I have a M40a3 from Mike. I got it long time ago. It took me a long time to get the gun from him. One thing that you have to remember is that Mike is basically a one man show. I think that he might have his son working with him as well. He doesnt have a crew in there helping him turn out rifles. If you do get one from him you wont be disappointed. Mine shoots lights out all the time. I have had it for 6 years now and it still shoots .25 moa. The only con that I will say that the M40a1 and a3's are not truly built to spec. I had mine redone to make it EXACTLY like it was issued to Marines when the rifle first came out. I know that GAP does make them exactly how they were issued. Either way you go you wont be disappointed.

I can attest to the length. 22 months for a USMC Vietnam Era Pre-64 spec build with Unertl target scope, and that was with supplied parts..

No, his son doesn't work with him anymore. He is a one man show that is FLOODED with work. He has apprentices that do some of the minor finish work, no fitting, and help with the basic AR stuff. But they are part-time only.

Yep, agreed on most counts. Mike built me a rifle years ago and it is still a phenomenal shooter. As for George at GAP, I have one on order and have heard nothing but outstanding things about his builds, attention to detail, modest accuracy guarantees and customer service. George will probably place a rifle in your hands a bit quicker than most, actually quicker than I've ever seen with any full custom shop though that might be by circumstance......and no doubt by now, the cat that originally posted this 2008 thread is probably into his 2nd bbl on whichever rifle he decided to go with!

You could stalk Mike by waiting around at Tac Pro, but you would have to do that for a few years. If it were me I would call George at GAP and ask if he has something close to what you want that is just sitting around and ready to go.

I actually just stop by. GAP might have something OTB though. I stopped by and talked to Mike yesterday about a rifle he is starting for me. I gave him a little crap about lead time and he laughed. He said If I would round up my own parts, action, barrel, ect (not the stock), he could have it to me in @ a month or so. He said his prob is that he has to order parts once a month, depending on the amnt of builds, then buys in bulk. He said the parts are his biggest problem. As for the rest, I confirmed this by him saying to me, "if you bug me though, I'm gonna give you a half assed gun". Then laughed at me. He said that some guys say they don't care abt lead times because they have other guns, but if you give him your honest situation and need your gun, he tryes his best to get it too you. He's told me that several times.