• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas Brigade armory

terrygood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Atlantic city NJ
Has anyone bought a M40A1 from Texas brigade armory? I want to buy one for my dad. I would like the setup complete with scope etc.

Re: Texas Brigade armory

I've never had anything from them but a lot of the guys on here say they are very good rifles. Haven't heard any complaints about them at all.

I bought one awhile back with an MST-100. The rifle shoots way better than me and is pretty close to spec M40a1, but not exactly. Mike Lau builds a very nice, very high quality rifle, wait times may exceed a year. The TBA is the top rifle in the photo. George Gardner at GAP builds a hell of a rifle also and the wait is not so long.

IMG_0262.jpg

TBA makes some great sticks. They are every bit as good as GAP and APA in my opinion

+1 on the above said. One at McMillan for a stock repair/upgrade at this moment. Rifle is excellent. Mike and crew that I spoke with at the time were good to go with everything. Wake time was around 13 months then, not sure now.

You will not find a better rifle smith around. If you are in a hurry, you will need to go elsewhere. Of course, there is a reason one-man shops like Lau's have long lead times. The reason the rifles are great is the same reason the wait is long. Mike Lau is building it instead of some half ass "smith" off the street getting paid by the barrel job, etc.

Quality before quantity. Wish everyone worked that way.

many ....many here own and operate TBA rifles....superb stuff !

wait times are sometimes long....but....top shelf gear sometimes takes a while.

Yep, coming up on a year now waiting on my M40A3. One part of me wants to call him once a month to see how it's going but the other half of me says to leave him alone and let him work his magic. It takes however long as it takes for a quality firearm I guess. I don't want him to feel rushed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not find a better rifle smith around. If you are in a hurry, you will need to go elsewhere. Of course, there is a reason one-man shops like Lau's have long lead times. The reason the rifles are great is the same reason the wait is long. Mike Lau is building it instead of some half ass "smith" off the street getting paid by the barrel job, etc.

Quality before quantity. Wish everyone worked that way. </div></div>

+1 on Mike Lau. He does great work, and the rifle will look and shoot immaculate. You do wait for it, but it was well worth the wait for me. I HIGHLY recommend TBA.

I don't understand all this complaining of waiting. If you have ever had another custom rig built, it's usually par for the course to wait a year unless parts are there and ready to go. If starting from scratch, it's a year (or right at it) regardless of who you go to.

My first custom took 12 months to complete and my recent built took 16 months by the time all parts were delivered/installed. 9 times out of 10, it's not the 'smith you're waiting on, it's the parts supplier.

+1 ! The stock alone can be 6-9 months just to get it in your smiths hands...LOL

Another vote for Mike. He builds a great rifle. I have a TBA M40A1.

very good build, but longer wait time than you might expect from his communications

Can't go wrong with Mike, great guy, super accurate rifles! Wait times can be long, but when is quality not worth waiting for?

Mike was a little overly optimystic on the completion time for me but other than that he produced one heck of a rifle and a super nice guy to boot!I Won the second Hardrock 1000yd. match I took his rifle to.A friend shot this rifle with my handloads and came in second the month before! The 260 rem. he built for me is awesome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand all this complaining of waiting. If you have ever had another custom rig built, it's usually par for the course to wait a year unless parts are there and ready to go. If starting from scratch, it's a year (or right at it) regardless of who you go to.

My first custom took 12 months to complete and my recent built took 16 months by the time all parts were delivered/installed. 9 times out of 10, it's not the 'smith you're waiting on, it's the parts supplier. </div></div>

I disagree. I have waited just short of a year for GAP, and it will be exactly a year next week for PAI. All parts supplied in both cases. Most (or all) of the wait is the backlog.

I have an M40a3 rifle built by Mike. I give the guy a lot of credit. Yes wait time is a long time. But the quality of his work speaks for itself. My rifle is a one holer and I cant complain. It took me a year and a half to get mine. That was a long time ago. I would recommand Mike to anyone that wants a precision rifle.

You made my point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand all this complaining of waiting. If you have ever had another custom rig built, it's usually par for the course to wait a year unless parts are there and ready to go. If starting from scratch, it's a year (or right at it) regardless of who you go to.

My first custom took 12 months to complete and my recent built took 16 months by the time all parts were delivered/installed. 9 times out of 10, it's not the 'smith you're waiting on, it's the parts supplier. </div></div>

I disagree. I have waited just short of a year for GAP, and it will be exactly a year next week for PAI. All parts supplied in both cases. Most (or all) of the wait is the backlog. </div></div>