• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas concealed Carry question

HiCapMag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2003
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
So here I am at the convention center in Galveston.

After being in here for hours I went outside and looked at the door just for fun.

Sure enough, there is a sign that says "no firearms"

As I recall from my Texas friends, in order to be effective, such a sign must be more detailed and have some very specific language from the statutes. Is my memory correct?

Thanks!

Re: Texas concealed Carry question

Bill:

In order to have legal effect, a sign forbidding the carrying of a concealed firearm must have language identical to this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun;"</div></div>

There are other requirements:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(2) A sign posted on the property that:
(a) "includes" the above language in both English and Spanish;
(b) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
(c) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.</div></div>

For more information, see:

http://www.burger.com/gunfaq08.htm

I hoped you would chime in
grin.gif

As they say in the local dialect, Gracias!

That is correct! Quick story- I went to pick up some furniture we bought at the Haverty's warehouse in Irving. As I opened the door, there is a small card (about the size of a 3"x5" note card) taped to the window next to the handle of the door. It had the 30.06 lingo only in English and was tiny! I went ahead and went back to my truck (loosing a few spots in line) and disarmed, even though I didn't "have" to. While waiting for our furniture, I asked to speak to the manager. I told the manager about the sign and that he had it displayed wrong and why. He said in the last week, 3 other guys had mentioned this sign was wrong, but didn't tell him why it was wrong. I told him I was displeased to see this and explained why. At the end, I also told him because of the sign, I would not be buying any more Haverty's furniture.
I rarely see a 30.06 sign, and take mental notes on where I can and cannot carry. I try to not buy from places with the sign posted.

I just ignore signs which are not properly posted.

I have also seen signs in places where they were not proper for the location. One such was a 51 percent sign on a place where it did not belong, i.e., it did not derive 51 percent of its gross sales from sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption. If you look at their liquor license, and it says on the license "sign = blue", they cannot legally post a 51% sign. The license must say "sign = red".

Also, I ignore signs on state, county, or city owned or leased property which are incorrectly placed. Our county library has one such.

Texas has very specific laws, thanks to a lot of people who worked very hard to make them that way. It's useful to know the law.

You see all kinds of variations, most of not binding..but I wouldnt want to buck the system just to carry in a place.

If the signs are not properly posted, you're not "bucking the system" when you carry - you're <span style="font-style: italic">complying</span> with the system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30.06 signs and the 51% signs, plus no federal or state property, or schools </div></div>

Your missing a bit there. Just go pick up a state law book and find out all sorts of fun stuff, including all about this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is correct! Quick story- I went to pick up some furniture we bought at the Haverty's warehouse in Irving. As I opened the door, there is a small card (about the size of a 3"x5" note card) taped to the window next to the handle of the door. It had the 30.06 lingo only in English and was tiny! I went ahead and went back to my truck (loosing a few spots in line) and disarmed, even though I didn't "have" to. While waiting for our furniture, I asked to speak to the manager. I told the manager about the sign and that he had it displayed wrong and why. He said in the last week, 3 other guys had mentioned this sign was wrong, but didn't tell him why it was wrong. I told him I was displeased to see this and explained why. At the end, I also told him because of the sign, I would not be buying any more Haverty's furniture.
I rarely see a 30.06 sign, and take mental notes on where I can and cannot carry. I try to not buy from places with the sign posted. </div></div>

It may have been more effective to ditch the current purchase and point out why. Every time I take my wife tot he furniture store its not cheap and give a few kicks in the junk like that and they see it they may change their policy.

Some banks here still use a picture of a gun in a circle with a null sign - I noticed it on my way out. That is not a "legit" 30.06 sign. Kind of surprised they didn't have metal detectors with that stance but they didn't. I did change banks on principle.

I don't mean to hijack but, Does anyone know if Iowa has this sort of law or where I can look to find out? I try my best to not shop anywhere that has one of these signs, and I make a point of telling the management and owners that.