• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Texas Drought and Hogs

308crosshairs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2005
Dallas
DSCN1291-1.jpg

I haven't seen many hogs with our severe drought of late until this week. Game camera's sure give you good info of what is going on.

Anyway, hogs were coming in between 0100 hrs to 0500 hrs on the 15th and 17th. So with that information i climbed into my tower blind about 0115 hrs. Conditions couldn't have been better....calm winds,good moon and about 85 degrees.

At around 0210 hrs i observed the camera flash which alerted me that something was going on at the feeder. I turned on the PVS27 to see about 8 to 9 hogs. I was fortunate to make a good 490 yrd drt shot.

Re: Texas Drought and Hogs

Outstanding!

Ok, give me some info on your PVS27 system - where to purchase, cost, anything.

I purchased the 27 from Victor at www.tnvc.com. You can go to his web site and look up pvs27 to get more info on it.
Pros and Cons.

Pros: It is great for long range shooting/hunting at night.
Have made hits on steel out to 800 yds under half moon
conditions.

POA/POI are less than 1moa...at least with my rifle/scope
comb.

Very sturdy...built like a tank. I have dropped it with
no shift in POA/POI.

Cons: Very speedy....expensive, but it only hurts for a little.
Can't remember exactly , between 9 and 10 grand.

Very heavy. You add that to rifle/scope, don't think you
would want to lug that around much.

Not sure if this goes under Con, but I had to have a
Badger embedded front rail installed.

On pitch black nights, you will need some kind of IR
Illumination for long shots.

All and all a great piece of gear.

Thanks guys... I try to put a few down dagsta...a good hog is a dead hog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gitrdone44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on the hog, this freaking drought sucks!! </div></div>

Thanks...yeah this drought is hurting alot of good people in so many ways. Four of my six stock tanks are completely dry.

Im on the Gulf Coast of Texas fighting to keep my grass from turning into dry burlap. Cant wait to see my water bill. It's been 10 degrees hotter than hell. Still, Im waiting to see what effect this drought has had on the hogs. I saw so many last year I still cant believe it. I plan to get out as soon as the weather gives us a break. Got some old stinky corn from last year Im going to prep up and give it a go.

Im lovin' your set up Bro. Great shot and outfit. No go back and get that suckers cousins and regale us with some new pics!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2 dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im on the Gulf Coast of Texas fighting to keep my grass from turning into dry burlap. Cant wait to see my water bill. It's been 10 degrees hotter than hell. Still, Im waiting to see what effect this drought has had on the hogs. I saw so many last year I still cant believe it. I plan to get out as soon as the weather gives us a break. Got some old stinky corn from last year Im going to prep up and give it a go.

Im lovin' your set up Bro. Great shot and outfit. No go back and get that suckers cousins and regale us with some new pics! </div></div>
i live on the gulf coast also and these hogs have been tearing up my property.
a bar ditch goes down the back side of my property so i figured that is where they come from. got 52 in 5 weekends last year...this year...2 so far. the rooted ground says they are there so i'm putting out the trap.

How the hell do you butcher 'em in all that heat??? I suppose its been done for thousands of years....but a cooler would sure be nice.

Wondering if they get gammy when its hot and dry like that? I've butchered a couple of bears when it got hot in the middle of the day, but they turned out fine.

Since you don't have to hang hogs long, and can butcher 'em right away, that has got to help...

Nobody should go hungry in a state filled with hogs like that.

I know lots of guys that, IF, they want some meat they will cut the loins out and let the rest go. Only if the hog is under 100 is the rest worth a damn. We've got so many of them state wide that they're like cockroaches. Wack em and stack em.

I had moderate luck last week. I found one bedded down in a creek bottom where he managed to find some mud, even thought for 1 mile worth of creek there were only 3 places that had any moisture. We're trying to get a handle on em now before they become a big problem. The piece of land where they're showing up hasn't had hog signs on it in several years. They're fun to hunt but they're not worth it considering the damage they cause.

I'm sure, seemed like they were in epidemic proportions last year. Thinking this drought is taking care of a bunch of the younger ones, don't know. All the video's I've seen still show the little pigs.

According to our gamecams they're hitting our feeders about 1 a.m. also down near Glen Rose so must be a common dinnertime for them in this area. Nice setup on the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littletoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure, seemed like they were in epidemic proportions last year. Thinking this drought is taking care of a bunch of the younger ones, don't know. All the video's I've seen still show the little pigs. </div></div>

I have seen piglets on my camera's. The one thing absent in my area has been fawns in early summer. Talking to other ranchers in my area, all pretty much agree that the fawns
took a beating from this drought.

Hogs eat the fawns too, I think they would eat just about anything. We always feed them the left overs when we take a deer, and these are penned hogs.

I may have to talk to the wife to let me come down there and take a few some day. I have a big family down there, would just hate the drive, going and coming.