• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Texas Fallow Hunt and other exotics (pics added)

bribri

Always Smooth
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 21, 2009
    Nebraska
    I took this fallow a week and a half ago in Kerr county Texas at 120 yards with my Wilson Combat 6.8 SPCII. I used Hornady's new 120 SST and it worked as advertised. The shot was a little higher than I like, the bullet passed through both lungs, and the deer ran maybe 20 yards and retired.

Although hunting exotics in Texas is not a difficult hunt, this particular fallow was a challenge. The ranch we were on was about 1200 acres with a high fence, we looked for this particular guy for a while with no luck and then finally, he and another fallow appeared, so we quickly got set up on a tripod shooting stick and ranged him at 260 yards. As I was getting ready to squeeze the trigger he took off. Our guide said I really messed up because, that was probably our only opportunity to take him. Apparenty the week before another guy was hunting this same fallow for two days without even seeing him. We had an idea of where he went, and I wanted to try to put a stalk on him, and our guide said we would be wasting our time due to the foggy conditions. So instead we spread some corn in an opening hoping that it would persuade other animals and him to come out of the brush and about 15 minutes of waiting there he was and it was all over.

This particular fallow stood out from the rest due to his above average width and height. His palms were ok but most of tines and backscratchers were broke off. We really enjoyed ourselves on this trip and will be back.

IMG_0526.jpg

My Brother and I
    IMG_0534.jpg

Bullet Entry
    IMG_0577.jpg

Bullet Exit
    IMG_0580.jpg

A really nice hunting rig
    IMG_0537.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">MORE PICS BELOW</span>

Re: Texas Fallow Deer with 6.8

Nice! Stick that bad boy on the trophy wall back home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice! I bet it was a hell of a lot warmer there too!</div></div>

Not really, it was only in the 40's and it rained most of the time we were there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice deer. What ranch were you on?</div></div>

Las Carinas Ranch

nice fallow, did you make that rack... I like that!

very nice spotted fallow, will look spectacular on the wall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your brother take anything? </div></div>

Yes, He took a Fallow and a Blackbuck.

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

Here are some comparison pics of the the two Fallow Deer.

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

The other two guys in our group shot a Scimitar Horned Oryx and a Black Hawaiian Ram.

DSCN0932.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

Here is another pic of the kind of terrain we were hunting in, The Texas Hill Country is really pretty IMO. In the pic we were looking for that Black Hawaiian my buddy shot.

IMG_6001.jpg

wow! all those critters are outstanding, the Black Buck is nice and wide also, wider than most. you guys did very well. I love the hill country and is awesome to hunt. great job...

Thanks for the pics brother. Awesome hunt to say the least.