• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas folks?

Not in north Texas. It’s good as hell but we are good for now.

They can push that conserve energy crap all they want. Like people are going to turn their heat off?!?

To the north in Oklahoma we're good, most heat with natural gas which is in abundant supply.

Reactions: 143lrsd
As of right now it's just cold like 12f cold and windy and humid... so miserable.

But the power is on and the wet stuff hasn't started to fall yet.

Tonight and early Tomorrow morning is going to be where we see what will be.

Reactions: XP1K
When do we not have grid issues?

to much wind: windmills not designed for that much wind speed so they are locked in place

not enough wind: fucking windmills waste of money, shoulda built more NG plants

NG plants in the cold: we didnt design them for below 10f

NG plants in the heat: we limit our generating capacity because of EPA mandates and need permission to exceed them

Solar in the heat: its to fucking hot, they only produce 10% of their rated KW

Solar in the cold: covered in ice and snow and dont generate shit...

to much wind: windmills not designed for that much wind speed so they are locked in place

NG plants in the heat: we limit our generating capacity because of EPA mandates and need permission to exceed them

Always has to be someone that interjects logic into, a thread here. LOL

I literally have a wind farm in my front yard. 99% of the time they are spinning. I am not a green/democrat/hippie/retard, but I don't mind them. They make some noise which is annoying sometimes. The only time the wind is not blowing is South Texas is when it is changing direction. The way I see it, they supplement other ways of making electricity. The fuel for them is free.
When its cloudy, turn up the gas. When it's cold, turn up the nukes. When the wind dies down, turn up the coal.
When it's sunny and windy, dial the fuel back a little and maybe do some maintenance on the other plants so when you need them they are there.

Always has to be someone that interjects logic into, a thread here. LOL

it was meant to be sarcastic a bit... but some of it is true...

Its a circle jerk honestly...

im sure we have some nuke and coal in Texas also.

And dont forget the fed's...

But we "run our own grid"... is kinda like in the movie big daddy... "I WIPE MY OWN ASS"...

big-daddy-ass.gif

I have not had an electric brown-out, yet. I have gas central heat. And the two bathrooms (I am poor and have only a 3 br 2 bath house a smidge less than 1/4 acre, fight me,) have built-in gas space heaters.

Reactions: Maggot
I literally have a wind farm in my front yard. 99% of the time they are spinning. I am not a green/democrat/hippie/retard, but I don't mind them. They make some noise which is annoying sometimes. The only time the wind is not blowing is South Texas is when it is changing direction. The way I see it, they supplement other ways of making electricity. The fuel for them is free.
When its cloudy, turn up the gas. When it's cold, turn up the nukes. When the wind dies down, turn up the coal.
When it's sunny and windy, dial the fuel back a little and maybe do some maintenance on the other plants so when you need them they are there.
Well said. We're getting them, wind turbines, here in Ok. they wouldnt be spending the money if it didnt have some benefit. I say use every means available.

I have not had an electric brown-out, yet. I have gas central heat. And the two bathrooms (I am poor and have only a 3 br 2 bath house a smidge less than 1/4 acre, fight me,) have built-in gas space heaters.
For heating and cooking natural gas or propane is the way to go.

Reactions: Ironman1959
Obamas war on coal did shut down at least a couple coal plants and can be directly linked to our shortage and grid failure in 2020 the led to several hundred deaths. Looks like Tuesday morning we may come up short.
1000003717.png

FFS.
"Renewable" is a fucking scam.
Research what it takes to build one 1-3 MW windmills from concrete to tip of the blade.
Add in the electrical grid to get it to existing sub stations and those required on site.
What it costs to maintain.
What it could produce under ideal conditions 365 24/7 back onto the grid.
See what the net result is.

R

FFS.
"Renewable" is a fucking scam.
Research what it takes to build one 1-3 MW windmills from concrete to tip of the blade.
Add in the electrical grid to get it to existing sub stations and those required on site.
What it costs to maintain.
What it could produce under ideal conditions 365 24/7 back onto the grid.
See what the net result is.

R
They are government subsidized. They wouldn't put them up otherwise even ignoring the fact they don't last long and can't be recycled.
And Trump is God, worship him.

When it's sunny and windy, dial the fuel back a little and maybe do some maintenance on the other plants so when you need them they are
There in lies the problem. Turn up the gas, turn up the coal and nukes then when it’s nice turn them back down. Base generation was designed to do just that, be base not peaking units. So now your having to maintain two generation fleets, your reliable base units and your wind/ solar units AND your causing excessive damage to your base units because your constantly ramping them up and down chasing load, remember there supposedly base units. I’m not against renewables but the system we currently have took a hundred years to mature to what is today and all of a sudden we expect it to operate differently over night. Not going to happen, unless you don’t care about reliability. This is like a cnn reporter thats never seen a gun telling us how it functions and how bad it is and we should do xyz about it. They have no fucking clue and the same can be said about this topic.

Reactions: tomcatmv and XP1K
There in lies the problem. Turn up the gas, turn up the coal and nukes then when it’s nice turn them back down. Base generation was designed to do just that, be base not peaking units. So now your having to maintain two generation fleets, your reliable base units and your wind/ solar units AND your causing excessive damage to your base units because your constantly ramping them up and down chasing load, remember there supposedly base units. I’m not against renewables but the system we currently have took a hundred years to mature to what is today and all of a sudden we expect it to operate differently over night. Not going to happen, unless you don’t care about reliability. This is like a cnn reporter thats never seen a gun telling us how it functions and how bad it is and we should do xyz about it. They have no fucking clue and the same can be said about this topic.
Exactly, many of you, the same ones who worship Trump as a God, are as bad as the libtards, just in the other direction.

The whole wind thing is a relatively new technology. If you never use it you'll never learn to improve it. My Toyota which gets 54+ miles per gallon didnt come over night. It took near 100 years to develop that technology...not to mention all the improved safety features. And then nukes you talk about are far from safe. There are dozens of cooling pools full of spent rods just waiting for an earthquake...Fukushima or Chernobyl style.

But you hear wind, or green, and have a shitting hemorrhage just like the libys do when you say GUN. One needs to recognize a middle ground because extremes in either direction are folly.

Strawman called and wants his argument back.
Your projection is comical.

R
Your net even comical, youre embarrassing in your narrow mindedness.

To dense to know when your talking to someone who's in the know about mentioned.
Lay off the bud, you're burnt.

R
I dont think you know nearly as much as your ego thinks you do. Lay off the attitude, it just shows your ignorance.

If my posts bother you that much, just hit ignore.

I don't know much about an electric plant.
I do know that it gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer every year. Running air conditioners and heaters put an extra load on the grid, what happens next? Do they turn up the throttle or do they do nothing and let there be brown outs? How do they/did they deal with spikes of energy usage before? How is having more electricity put into the grid hurt the other forms of power generation?

I can only compare to what I know about. When I hook up a trailer behind my truck I step on the throttle harder. When I am riding my mountain bike into the wind I have to pedal harder. When I use more electricity in the truck the voltage regulator or PCM ramps up the voltage/current to the stator and it makes more power.

I dont think you know nearly as much as your ego thinks you do. Lay off the attitude, it just shows your ignorance.

If my posts bother you that much, just hit ignore.
I work with the folks that deliver the magic electrical sauce weekly.
Ego hasn't anything to do with it.
You chose to reply, now faced with the facts haven't an argument.

R

I work with the folks that deliver the magic electrical sauce weekly.
Ego hasn't anything to do with it.
You chose to reply, now faced with the facts haven't an argument.

R
Well, youre obviously a genius. But I stand by what I wrote above and will repeat:

The whole wind thing is a relatively new technology. If you never use it you'll never learn to improve it. My Toyota which gets 54+ miles per gallon didnt come over night. It took near 100 years to develop that technology...not to mention all the improved safety features. And then nukes you talk about are far from safe. There are dozens of cooling pools full of spent rods just waiting for an earthquake...Fukushima or Chernobyl style.

But you hear wind, or green, and have a shitting hemorrhage just like the libys do when you say GUN. One needs to recognize a middle ground because extremes in either direction are folly. Even for genius's like yourself.

Imagine There is a huge trailer and to pull it you have 100 trucks hooked to it. The road is flat and all 100 trucks are pulling and let’s say there all at 50% throttle. Now there’s a hill coming up, when you get to the hill everyone goes to 60% throttle to handle the increasing load. Half way up 10 trucks just shut their engine off, so now the other 90 have to go to 90% throttle to handle the load. Now your over the hill heading back down and the 10 trucks that cut their engines start them back up and apply 100% throttle. I wonder what’s going to happen now. That in a nutshell is how renewables operate on the system.

There are thousands of engineers and system operators across the country that that is their sole purpose in life is to maintain grid stability.
At a time like this all units are deemed critical. To answer the question of do they ramp up, yes they do, but not every unit is at 100% output because there needs to be some “slack” in the system to handle things like a unit tripping because of a problem or a transmission line out for some unplanned reason. When load and generation get to a limit then that’s when they have to start shedding load.

A good sunny day in the spring time with the wind blowing, your renewables are maxed out and your Conventional units or sitting on the bottom where they are most inefficient. Evening time comes and the wind dies and the sun goes down now the conventional units have to ramp up to meet load. About 10pm people go to bed and load falls off fast now the conventional units are back on the bottom. 6am the next morning everyone is getting up now the conventional units have to chase the load back up. 10am the load falls off again and the renewables start to ramp up. Now the conventional units not only have to chase load down but they also have to compensate for the additional generation added by the renewable fleet. On an average day your peak demand is around six or 7 AM and again at six or 7 PM.
Now throw A storm into the mix and it makes it that much worse. We will eventually get it worked out but it will take a couple decades to get there. And on top of that the government wants to do away with your gas cooking stove and make you have an electric car.

Imagine There is a huge trailer and to pull it you have 100 trucks hooked to it. The road is flat and all 100 trucks are pulling and let’s say there all at 50% throttle. Now there’s a hill coming up, when you get to the hill everyone goes to 60% throttle to handle the increasing load. Half way up 10 trucks just shut their engine off, so now the other 90 have to go to 90% throttle to handle the load. Now your over the hill heading back down and the 10 trucks that cut their engines start them back up and apply 100% throttle. I wonder what’s going to happen now. That in a nutshell is how renewables operate on the system.

There are thousands of engineers and system operators across the country that that is their sole purpose in life is to maintain grid stability.
At a time like this all units are deemed critical. To answer the question of do they ramp up, yes they do, but not every unit is at 100% output because there needs to be some “slack” in the system to handle things like a unit tripping because of a problem or a transmission line out for some unplanned reason. When load and generation get to a limit then that’s when they have to start shedding load.
As I mentioned above, renewables are a new technology. That doesnt make it bad, nor wrong, only that It takes time to develop.. You've got to start somewhere. Safe(er) cars didnt come over night.

A good sunny day in the spring time with the wind blowing, your renewables are maxed out and your Conventional units or sitting on the bottom where they are most inefficient. Evening time comes and the wind dies and the sun goes down now the conventional units have to ramp up to meet load. About 10pm people go to bed and load falls off fast now the conventional units are back on the bottom. 6am the next morning everyone is getting up now the conventional units have to chase the load back up. 10am the load falls off again and the renewables start to ramp up. Now the conventional units not only have to chase load down but they also have to compensate for the additional generation added by the renewable fleet. On an average day your peak demand is around six or 7 AM and again at six or 7 PM.
Now throw A storm into the mix and it makes it that much worse. We will eventually get it worked out but it will take a couple decades to get there. And on top of that the government wants to do away with your gas cooking stove and make you have an electric car.

"
We will eventually get it worked out but it will take a couple decades to get there."
Good observation, thats what Ive been trying to point out. But we'll never get there if we dont start somewhere. IRC some of the Scandinavian countries are using tide powered ocean turbines. Probably hard on the seafood, or is that green talk? ;)

And on top of that the government wants to do away with your gas cooking stove and make you have an electric car
And thats just crazy, Fuck Joe Biden

As I mentioned above, renewables are a new technology. That doesnt make it bad, nor wrong, only that It takes time to develop.. You've got to start somewhere. Safe(er) cars didnt come over night.
I agree, but, give me one example where there not expecting this to happen in the next 10 years or less adding additional load with electric cars and not costing a lot lot more. Just to add a meaningful amount of electric cars the electric system will have to double in capacity. Just wrap your head around that and the timeframe there demanding.

I agree, but, give me one example where there not expecting this to happen in the next 10 years or less adding additional load with electric cars and not costing a lot lot more. Just to add a meaningful amount of electric cars the electric system will have to double in capacity. Just wrap your head around that and the timeframe there demanding.
Just to add a meaningful amount of electric cars the electric system will have to double in capacity.

Kind of apples and oranges, but yeah.

Yea we have a few like that but most of our conventional fleet are chasing load 24/7/365 and it’s hard on them. Starting/stopping motors thermocycling the boiler and piping. It takes a toll

They are government subsidized. They wouldn't put them up otherwise even ignoring the fact they don't last long and can't be recycled.
Yep and when, they wear out the companies that own them will go Bankrupt and we, yes all of us, will pay for them to be taken down.

How apples and oranges?
'Developing a system to its potential' is a separate issue from 'adding a lot of new load to that system'. Related, yes, but not the same issue.

This is an interesting discussion, I'm a plant operator at a base load facility and we produce as much as possible 24/7 and ramp up/down is not in our vocabulary.
The public has no clue... I know most people on The Hide are aware of this for the most part but if I can enlighten anyone it is worth the effort. We are producing more petroleum than ever but Brandon has shut down DRILLING so at some point production will drop. The fuel coming out of the pump started getting there several years ago, wells were drilled, pipelines laid etc. But no new refining facilities have been built, only a matter of time until before prices start going up on everything that has plastic or steel in it.
Zip lock bags? Beer cans? Fish hooks? Brass? Rifle Barrels? Car tires? Diapers? Anything with any metal of steel or plastic in it?
Almost everything in our modern-day life is dependent on petroleum.

Reactions: tomcatmv
The public has no clue... I know most people on The Hide are aware of this for the most part but if I can enlighten anyone it is worth the effort. We are producing more petroleum than ever but Brandon has shut down DRILLING so at some point production will drop. The fuel coming out of the pump started getting there several years ago, wells were drilled, pipelines laid and no new refining facilities have been built, only a matter of time until before prices start going up on everything that has plastic or steel in it.
Zip lock bags? Beer cans? Fish hooks? Brass? Rifle Barrels? Car tires? Diapers? Anything with any metal of steel or plastic in it?
Almost everything in our modern-day life is dependent on petroleum.
I'll be the 1st to admit ignorance on the petroleum front as far as power goes. We're drilling more than ever but I guess no one cares because it's renewable, green ect. We use petroleum lubricants but don't burn it in any meaningful capacity, that's why the discussion is interesting to me. There's many facets to generation that I'm not familiar with.

There’s really no developing wind or solar. The panels and wind turbines may be improved a few percent but that’s really meaningless to the overall situation we’re in The issue is the existing system is mostly incompatible with wind/solar and how it operates.

If I really wanted to go green and not create system problems or bankrupt the country I would do the following.

Invest in technology to improve or develop electrical storage, fission and superconductors. Develop more reliable green generation like tidal, geothermal, hydro. Build high efficiency gas combined cycle units for peaking and nuclear for base load. Have a major project to improve and increase the transmission and distribution system. And all of this will take 20-30 years if not longer.

Outside a major breakthrough in fission, superconductors or a way to store electricity on a massive scale we are really going nowhere with solar and wind to amount to anything. If congress would revoke the stupid laws of physics we could get stuff done.

Last edited:
I'll be the 1st to admit ignorance on the petroleum front as far as power goes. We're drilling more than ever but I guess no one cares because it's renewable, green ect. We use petroleum lubricants but don't burn it in any meaningful capacity, that's why the discussion is interesting to me. There's many facets to generation that I'm not familiar with.
NO! We are not drilling more than ever we are producing more than ever, big difference. Those drilled wells will go dry, and without more drilling , production will fall.

Reactions: Emerson0311
NO! We are not drilling more than ever we are producing more than ever, big difference. Those drilled wells will go dry, and without more drilling , production will fall.
Maybe I wasn't clear, the company that I work for is drilling more now than ever before, but not for oil.