• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Texas/Houston folks... looking for a gunsmith....

Re: Texas/Houston folks... looking for a gunsmith....

dude, LL just showed you how to do it like that in the thread you posted as reference.

I can do it for free but others in Houston can too if you don't want to drive to Dallas.

It's not that hard to do. You really can't mess it up if you follow the instructions. I believe Frank also did a video on how to install a scope too.

Mounting a scope is far from rocket science. Simply follow the directions in the thread you posted and rock on.

Looking at Premier Heritages documents on the scope.. They recommend certain torques. I do not have the tools to do it, and after looking up the cost of the tools, it would be cheaper to just have someone else do it for me.

I do not mean to sound lazy, just figured why deviate from instructions as far as installation and torquing.

I would pony up the money to get the tools. Screw taking it to the smith everytime you have to unmount and mount it. You already spent 2K+ on a scope.

Ill do it for you, be advised though im not a gunsmith therefore i wont charge you either. email me [email protected].

wrenches are highly over rated.......gorilla glue , now there is something

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You bought a $3000 scope, but don't want to buy a set of torque wrenches?? I'm puzzled. </div></div>

I mean I could... but I do not see myself using them but once... not really getting my money out of it.

If it is something that I would use more than this once then I don't have a problem picking what I need up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gotcha...
If you were anywhere near Austin I could hook you up no problem. </div></div>

So another stupid question... hopefully no more bashing for tonight (lol) but do most people have a nice setup of torque wrenches? I hate to sound like a pussy over here taking his rifle to a shop to have it done when I could do it at home. Just trying to play it safe and learn at the same time.

If having that equipment is a staple in getting into precision shooting then by all means I will do a search on here to see what set people are using. But from what I have searched, I am not the only one that has a professional do their install for them, which is why I made a Houston specific thread.

The way I saw it was it would be cheaper/easier to have it done here locally since aquilafirearms turns out, is right down the road from my part-time job.

Thanks!

Only way you will learn if you do it yourself. Plus, it's another excuse to buy tools. Nothing wrong with that.

+1 on Bacarrat's post...

It may be a good idea to watch someone who knows what they are doing the first few times before jumping into it, but it's not rocket science by any means.

I have a couple torque wrenches that I use but they are by no means to of the line... but they do just fine.

Can't hurt to have a couple around...

the offer stands if you are ever near Austin.

-Wil

Last 3 posts... spot on gentlemen.

I am going to have aquilafirearms do it this time while I watch AND I am going to pick up the Wheeler FatWrench. I have their toolkit and it is pretty nice stuff.

I figure I will stop by Aquila on the way home from my business in LaPorte one day when they can get me in (glass does not come in till mid March), watch them do it and I will have the tools and know how for next time. Figure aquilafirearms charges $35.00 for the install and boresight so that is fine with me.

Off to find the FatWrench now... Any other recommendations greatly appreciated.

Not a problem to get you hooked up with mounting your scope for free for a fellow Hide member. I would be happy to help you and I have the tools. The tools are a good investment as you are going to want to check torque on occasion just to insure everything is up to speed to include the torque between the stock and receiver the Wheeler will do most all of your stock and scope work, a set of feeler gauges from the auto parts house, and a plumb bob, (with string large enough to see), of sorts and a quality bubble level, to check it. You want to be there when the scope is mounted to insure proper eye relief. If you have a strap on cheek rest or an adjustable cheek piece you should have it on the gun and adjusted for you to afford you the best stock weld possible, when you set the scope.

The offer stands just let me know so we can get something scheduled. Chris is a good guy in La Porte and I am certainly not trying to cut him out of making some money and helping you out if that is what you choose.

Take care and let me know if I can help.

I to can mount your scope for you as well, I am in league city .. if you pass through my area on your way to/from work. Just drop me a PM to arrange contact.

drake

Like Danel and Drake said, I'll chime in too. My office is about 2 miles from Hobby Airport, you can bring it over and we can take our time putting everything together, you can even do all the work yourself.

I've got the feeler gauges, torque wrench, tools, all the stuff I used to put my Premier Heritage on my rifle.

I'll pm you my phone number if you need to call and talk about things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wrenches are highly over rated.......gorilla glue , now there is something </div></div>

Mr. Boltripper, I tried gorrilla glue however it did not dry fast enough as i was holdin them rings in place. thought you might want to see my fix.

for all of you folks who like to spend lots of money of things dont anymore, this worked really well all the way out to the far side of the barn with no problems

378nscope.jpg

JACQ,

That is classic. Thank you for sharing the fine example of over coming obstacles to reach resolution. You did not even have to use 100mph tape or 550 cord.

Sent you a PM.

Danel