• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Texas Whitetail Buck

tmcginnis

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2010
Texas
Took this buck out in Edgewood, Texas. I couldnt be more fortunate and proud of this monster of a buck. Biggest whitetail I have taken to date! Scored a 157 on the B&C and weighed in just at 200 pounds before field dressing. Got a call yesterday that the meat has been finished by the guys over at Kubys in Dallas. Unfortunately, the mount wont be done for another year or so. This is definitely one of my highlights in my hunting career.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Details</span>
I harvested this monster with a remington 700 ADL chambered in .308, shooting 165 grain federal fusions. About a 125 yard shot. Took two steps and dropped. Through both lungs; clean kill.

side note: This is my first post to the hide. I have greatly appreciated the knowledge shared on this website. On the other hand, I hate you guys for giving me endless ideas on ways to spend my money
grin.gif

65883_183802198297964_100000045543051_636719_131388_n.jpg

Re: Texas Whitetail Buck

Great buck you took,And welcome to the Hide.There's alot of great guy's and gal's here.And yes you will spend $$$$$ here...
waggs...

Welcome.
Nice first post and deer.
What county were you in?

Trilogymac

Thanks guys!

I took it out in Edgewood, Texas. Its about 1.5 hours from dallas. Maybe a little shorter of a drive.

Kind of a crazy story. The hunt was filmed by a guy name Dave who does a lot of TV shooting for the Dallas Safari Club. He was shooting for a new TV show. Who knows, maybe I will be on TV.

if yall get a chance, take a look at the ranch website. Its run by a man named Rick. Great guy, really enjoyed my time there. The property is immaculate! Has some MONSTROUS deer on his ranch as well.
Its called the Double T ranch,
http://www.dbl-t-ranch.com/

Thanks again for the warm welcome

Very nice buck, great picture and welcome. Also congrats on successfully posting the picture. There are many here with many posts that haven't met that challenge yet. lol

You should have passed on that dink. He'd of been something in another year or two.

JK........thats one nice buck, I would have blasted him as well. The wall will look nicer with him on it.

Great deer and picture!!!

For a main frame eight to score that high is impressively big. Really nice tine length. What were the main beam lengths?

God Bless,
David B.

Honestly cant remember! I will try to get a hold of the owner of the ranch to fax me or email me the official score card.
ill see if i can find another picture of the rack at a different angle for a better view.
The pics dont do it justice.

The spread must be where he picks up alot of the inches. Looks like a 140 in the picture. Also know how pics don't do them justice. What was the spread on him 22" or so I bet.

I believe the spread was near 22" inches. And to be completely honest, the pictures really dont do it justice. I have been pretty busy with school, but i will try this weekend to get the the scorecard from the ranch.

deerscore.jpg

Must have misread the score. Either way, in the 150's.

Thanks for all of the comments!

i was about to say thats a monster until you said it was a pen fed buck. Now its just decent.
laugh.gif

people need to realize high fence isn't a pen.... some high fence ranches in texas are bigger than some counties up north.... and it's a "pen"?...

second of all, your score sheet is wrong. there are only 3 mass measurements per side listed there, and it there should be a 4th

say the 4th H measurement was 3" per side, that deer is right around 157 like you said originally.

great deer. incredible to get a main frame 8 point that breaks 150!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">people need to realize high fence isn't a pen.... some high fence ranches in texas are bigger than some counties up north.... and it's a "pen"?...

second of all, your score sheet is wrong. there are only 3 mass measurements per side listed there, and it there should be a 4th

say the 4th H measurement was 3" per side, that deer is right around 157 like you said originally.

great deer. incredible to get a main frame 8 point that breaks 150! </div></div>

Thanks man! I have been very fortunate in my hunting as my Great uncle (loves to hunt Africa) actually footed the bill for this buck. It was a 500 acre or so large farm so it was not like i just cornered it and shot it. We stalked and shot. It was a great hunt

Thanks for the comments

Nice looking buck.

I hunted at a 1,000 acre ranch in Valley Mills this year, which is just west of Waco. I was hunting cull bucks, but the owner is starting a breeding program and will have some 150-180" deer in 3 or 4 years.

It might be an option for you Dallas folks.