Thank you 168!!! Been chasing one of these for years! USO SN-9

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
PX Member
Minuteman
Thanks to my friend and fellow squirrel-enthusiast @168BTHPM I finally managed to get ahold of the grail of USO... the SN-9.

Not just any SN-9. Serial number 2. Showed up at a Texas gun shop on top of a weird rifle... for $999 for the package. 168 took up the rifle... I got the scope. What a fantastic score!!!

1605994393092.png

1605994417898.png

This community is awesome beyond words...

Thinking this will go on my Mk 13 for 'regular duty' and I'll put the Leupy into the collector corner of the case. I'd put on Barrett, but I don't have a place to shoot to potential. With the .300 WM... I can shoot it here.

Yes... it's awesome!

Sirhr

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    Forgive my ignorance, but what’s so special about it? Is there a particular reason it looks the way it does? It’s definitely an interesting looking scope though!

Aescobar17

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 10, 2018
    I had one of those back in the day, and I can assure you I paid way more than $999 lol cool score!

168BTHPM

Werepig
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    Forgive my ignorance, but what’s so special about it? Is there a particular reason it looks the way it does? It’s definitely an interesting looking scope though!
    They are one of the original ultra long range scopes. They have huge elevation capability and great glass. Sometimes the limiting factor to elevation adjustment is the objective hitting the barrel. The only thing comparable now is the March Genesis.

300wm1.jpg

Krob95

TFG
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    They are one of the original ultra long range scopes. They have huge elevation capability and great glass. Sometimes the limiting factor to elevation adjustment is the objective hitting the barrel. The only thing comparable now is the March Genesis.

View attachment 7478471
    Didn’t really realize how long it was either until this picture. It’s massive! That’s badass man!

Reactions: 168BTHPM

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    First Focal plane....

10-42 magnification x 80 objective on 30mm tube.

Incredible vertical adjustment.

One of the best ELR scopes ever made. Super-limited quantities and one of the grails of scopes.

Built like Ft. Knox. Very specialized, but an amazing unit!

Sirhr

168BTHPM

Werepig
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    First Focal plane....

One of the best ELR scopes ever made. Super-limited quantities and one of the grails of scopes.

Sirhr
    You have to follow up and post pictures once you get it mounted.

Krob95

TFG
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    First Focal plane....

Sirhr
    Well congrats on the awesome low serial number score man!!

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

Butler12

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 28, 2014
    Congratulations on a super pick up!!!!
    I would love to get one of these iconic US optics scopes .
    They were so well engineered way ahead of there time.
    PS let me know if you want to make a quick profit.

168BTHPM

Werepig
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    Very cool find.

Now we need to know;
    After the optic swap, what rifle did @168BTHPM end up with?
    It's a .340 Weatherby, Remington long action with a 31" Douglas barrel, McMillan muzzle brake, bedded in a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock. I got 4 boxes of factory ammo, a really cool Harris knockoff bipod and a bitchin camo nylon sling.

Anb618

Rear Admiral
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 18, 2017
    It's a .340 Weatherby, Remington long action with a 31" Douglas barrel, McMillan muzzle brake, bedded in a McMillan Mountain Rifle stock. I got 4 boxes of factory ammo, a really cool Harris knockoff bipod and a bitchin camo nylon sling.
    Nice. Killer deal if you were in the market for a good moose gun. If not, it’s only a barrel swap away...

Reactions: 168BTHPM

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    Sou-East Texas
    Nice mix of some old school design... and some really old school design. 😎

The back story about how this very cool piece of equipment found its way to a place where it was likely regarded as just some kind of oddity is probably a sad one. It might have been auctioned off for pennies on the dollar in an estate sale because there were no heirs or they had zero appreciation for what the deceased owner enjoyed during his life. Makes me wonder what's going to happen to my stuff when I die. No children, so no direct heirs. Maybe I'll modify my will so that everything gets put on a funeral pyre and I just take it all to Valhalla with me. :ROFLMAO:

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    So have an e-mail off to USO... hopefully, when they moved to NC, they kept all the older records.

So this scope is proving kind of interesting. First, it is an SN9-2a. And it is 6 - 30, not 40. So this may be a complete custom? May be some kind of prototype (low SN?) or who knows. I did find a post out on the Interwebs that the FBI had ordered something like 60 SN9's at some point and maybe they got something 'custom.' No idea.

Hopefully they know. I had an e-mail for JBWIII a few years ago as I briefly did some development stuff for USO, but doubt the address is still good.
    It's an amazing scope. Gotta find some bases for it, though. I also asked USO if they still have those and a cone sunshade kicking around. Hopefully, they did not purge out all the older stuff when they moved.

Cheers,

Sirhr

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    Sou-East Texas
    ...It's an amazing scope. Gotta find some bases for it, though. I also asked USO if they still have those and a cone sunshade kicking around. Hopefully, they did not purge out all the older stuff when they moved.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    What's the advantage of the cone sunshade on that scope? Or maybe I should ask: what useful characteristics does it impart? Seems like it would lower the light gathering ability, but maybe that's not much of an issue with an 80mm objective.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    What's the advantage of the cone sunshade on that scope? Or maybe I should ask: what useful characteristics does it impart? Seems like it would lower the light gathering ability, but maybe that's not much of an issue with an 80mm objective.
    This scope has external adjustment. So the whole tube moves up and down. When you adjust for ELR, you either have to have a short (cone) shade... or no shade. If you put a long shade on it, and run the rear elevation to its potential, the sunshade can hit the barrel.

So they created the 'iconic' cone shade that is so familiar to the breed.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: rhsc

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    Sou-East Texas
    This scope has external adjustment. So the whole tube moves up and down. When you adjust for ELR, you either have to have a short (cone) shade... or no shade. If you put a long shade on it, and run the rear elevation to its potential, the sunshade can hit the barrel.

So they created the 'iconic' cone shade that is so familiar to the breed.

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Ah. Makes sense.

Thanks!

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    So mounting on the Mk13 is going to be a no-go. The McCann rail on it is perfect for the Leupold and would be fine on the forward extension for a NVG mount. But no way is it going to be rugged enough to take the SN9. Plus, it is a 'stepped' mount. And I am not going to dismantle it...

So that leaves the option of buying another rifle... (maybe). Needs to be a .300 WM or .338 to really get the best out of the scope. And I already load for .300 WM. I knew I should have bought that last TRG 42 at Parros!

Or fitting it to my SSG3000 which is sort of an orphan right now because I don't like its factory 'police kit' Leupold. Gun is a tackdriver. Scope is lame. Now looking at having a Pic rail made for the SN9 to mate it to the SSG3000... It would have to be steel or Titanium and a 20 MOA would be nice. But it also has to be 10" long and cantilevered off the front of the action. Thinking I might see if Murphy Precision has any options. I am sure he can make something up for me!

Cheers,

Sirhr

gnochi

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2019
    Orange County, CA
    It would have to be steel or Titanium and a 20 MOA would be nice. But it also has to be 10" long and cantilevered off the front of the action.
    Assuming you want it as stiff as possible, make it steel. While Ti is (pretty uniquely) stiffer per unit cross sectional mass, steel is king for stiffness within a specified cross sectional area.

It will also probably be worth looking into attaching the front of the cantilever rail to the stock or chassis.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic