• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thank you

ShortShooter1908

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2018
Central Ohio
Until yesterday I had never been to a range that had a target past 100 yards. I have been reading and learning from the internet for years but there isn't a range within an hour of me that has the space and I don't know anyone personally that shoots anything past 100 so no one to ride along with, get me motivated, etc.

I picked up a Savage 12 in 6.5cm from Cabela's this spring and built it out. I hadn't had a chance to zero it yet. I also had previously built an AR that was a DMR/precision rig which had grouped well at 100. I had picked up a new brand of ammo for it and wanted to see how it grouped. I decided that I needed to at least go to a range that had the facilities to shoot just so I knew where it was even if I didn't shoot past 100. I was so sure that I wasn't going to shoot past 100, I didn't put a ballistic calculator on my phone or even print a drop chart. I was smart enough to bring a Kestrel with me. It didn't have software but I knew I needed it for zeroing conditions.

I get out to the range and the owner drives to to the different positions and I am looking at the targets and I'm shaking my head. "How in the hell do you hit something like that?". It never really registered what 500/600 looked like. I had made the drive and I had the rifles and two boxes of ammo for each. There was a 100 yard range with paper to zero. Got both of them squared away with only 10 rounds used for each and decided I would toss a few at the 300 target, look like a fool, and go home. Get to the line. Set the 6.5 on the bench. Then it hits me. "You have no dope, no calculator, nothing." I flip the box of ammo over I see the factory drop listed. I figure it's something. I do the figure out what it is in mils dial it. Then Fundamentals Frank comes into my head. "Sight picture, breath control, trigger press, etc". I break the shot and I miss, but I see the splash. I use that ruler 3" in front of my face, make a correction, and shoot again. Just missed. Another correction and bang. I just hit my first steel at 300. Now mind you it's a 6" or 8" gong so nothing too impressive, but hey I hit it. Shot that target a few more times went to a 12" at 375 and got some hits on it. Switched to the AR and went through the same process. I moved positions and took some shots out 500 and 600 going after some really meaty targets. Like a 24" square at 600. The AR really fell off at that point. I could get hits but not consistently. What do you want for $11/box ammo? I had 4 rounds left for the 6.5 I decided I needed a reality check. I lined up on a 6" square at 500.
1. Over the top. Take off 2 clicks
2. Hit
3. Hit
4. Hit
My jaw was on the bench. Granted this was from a bench. Literally no one else on the range. Wind only 1-2mph (vegetation was barely moving). There was absolutely no pressure even from myself to perform at all. I had no expectations and no real goals. I just wanted to see what I could do. I still was grinning when I got home an hour and a half later.

I know I have a lot of work to do, but I know I can do it. I know what I need to work on now (recoil management), what gear I need to look at next (new rear bag and new feet for the bipod), and how much ammo to bring next time (more than 40 rounds). I also need to only take one rifle next time and focus.

I have been listening to the podcast since almost the beginning. It has really been like a conversation that I get to drop in on. I don't always know what you guys are talking about but it gives me questions that I can hunt down to help guide my study/research/internet searches. Thanks doing what you do.

Great work. Thanks for taking the time to spell this out. Welcome to the long range adventure. We always appreciate feedback and love to see that what we are putting out is translating into building fundamentals and community.

If there is anything we can clarify, please let us know so we can fire up a conversation and you can drop in on it.

Reactions: ShortShooter1908