• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The “perfect” barricade rifle?

obx22

Troubleshooter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
N.C.
I’ll save you some reading and admit I haven’t found it…
Yet.
More to the point is determining what you feel would make the perfect rifle?
I have gone through a few laser accurate rifles, and found that for me, even the ability to adapt my body to different stock styles doesn’t overcome true proper fit for the variety of positions we shoot. With that in mind, I feel that if you want the best gun for you, that the available stock styles/adjustment should top everything in your initial parts list.
I’m shooting a rifle with a tilted scope to better utilize the available adjustment range of the scope, but that comes at the price of having a repeatable cheek weld (due to scope eyepiece height), so having an adjustable cheekpiece that goes even higher than you initially think is necessary, will be important.
One of the big things I’ve fought in stock design of rifles 6-10 years older is the lack of a fully adjustable buttplate. In prone especially, the buttplate needs to be higher, or it slips beneath my shoulder.
The entire profile of the rifle shouldn’t be too tall, as fitting into or through some barricades and props can get quite tight. Thin sturdy forends and a low scope makes more room for error in a tight prop.
I would predict that fitment of accessories on your rifle will evolve to even more importance.
Having a spare magazine, rifle mounted, means it will always be in the same spot, regardless of your bodies position. I’ve seen too many folks fumble a mag swap with belt mounted holsters that shifted to an unexpected spot.
I don’t know what the perfect data card holder is, but I know for us aged folks, being able to read it can be challenging if it’s too close or small.
While I’ve ideas for better gun levels, the ones in existence certainly seem to get the job done.
Having a grip location that guides your finger to the same spot on the trigger, regardless of angle, can only benefit you, especially when considering you must reacquire it 10+ times per stage. A proper grip will also allow you to master a trigger of poor quality, whether in weight, crispness, or amount of desired overtravel.
I’ll admit to being stymied by the proliferation of short stock forearms, with extensions to get the bipod out farther (plus weights for balance.) at least a few are now offering a selection of forend lengths to better match available barrel lengths.
I’ve not dove down the “balanced rifle” rabbit hole, and I don’t shoot “free recoil, but wonder if the best in this game do?
What else do you value in your stock choice?
Do you feel stock choices or their limits have a prevalent impact on base class standings?

If you're trying to remain in base, options are limited. The 2 things I personally would recommend trying are a plate (Gray Ops, DST, homemade 3D) and yes do what you can to balance your rifle as best as possible.

Mine is specific to a custom wood stock on a mkii savage, but my stock seats 5 rd mags fully inboard the stock. Nothing gets bumped on barricades or messes with feeding. I just practice mag changes on the clock. I run a mag holder on each side of the action. Rifle rests on a bag and no worries. There are some cool mag stops for certain applications that eliminate this problem too.

Reactions: obx22
You're rambling without a clear question or concept.

Shooting off a barricade is about practice. You need to practice with your equipment.

If you run off just buying stuff based on what others are using, you'll end up with a lot of useless stuff and still not be any good.