• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The 1,000 yard .22 rimfire challenge?

Shiraz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Land of the Free
Anyone interested in a 1,000 yard challenge with a .22 rimfire cartridge[Long Rifle] in 2010?

Someone got out to 600 yards many months ago here on the Hide, he was shooting at a 4x8 sheet of plywood if I remember.

So here goes.....
target can not be larger than 8 feet by 8 feet.
Forward spotters with radios/cell phones are ok.
Style points awarded for targets smaller than 8x8.

by my calcs....
.125BC
1080 fps mv
a 50 yard zero needs something like 300 to 350 MOA up(something like 85 - 100 mils up) to get to 1,000 yards.

There was this DesertFrog guy who was shooting .22rf out to 250 yards a few years ago which seemed WAY!! far out there at the time. Now that I've shot .22rf at ~400 meters, 250 yards seems sorta close.

any thoughts on this??

Any one?

(as far as I know EGW will make custom slanted bases for $120, never asked about a 300MOA base though)

Re: The 1,000 yard .22 rimfire challenge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

hope these guys are under good cover cuz who the hell knows where those little pills are going to fall out of the sky!!!!
cry.gif

can't wait for the results

This is something I wanted to try myself.By my calculations 330.6 MOA(96.1 Mils) is needed.Also read somewhere,standard velocity ammunition was used at various ranges.At 1000 yards the angle of elevation was 7 degrees,44 minutes.

Maybe it was this year or last year we tried out to 600 yards with a .22LR.We could not see the shots.The experiment cost me a box of Eley black box.

Good Luck

van

I'll bring beer to watch

If I had the the distance I'd give it a go.
I don't shoot closer than 100 anymore except an occasional BR target.
Most of mine is at 200 but that is the range max here.
I used to clank a power line when little - had to be close.
That was with an auto though and rap off about 5 and wait for the
report back - no way of tellin vertical but got quite a few clangs.
We're workin on a place we can get to maybe 500 but don't think we'll
have the room for much more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SINGLE.SHOT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shiraz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

hope these guys are under good cover cuz who the hell knows where those little pills are going to fall out of the sky!!!!
cry.gif

can't wait for the results </div></div>

Kevlar umbrella..........

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bring beer to watch </div></div>

and sleeping bag.

I'd expect the last 500 yards of flight to be unstable.

I want to see videos of this!

From a 50 yard zero bullet drop is 5018", or 476MOA, or 7.9 degrees! Not to mention a 6-7 second flight time.

Ancient proverb say, "just because you can, not mean you should"
grin.gif

Might want to cover that plywood with witness paper, I don't know if one of them little pills is gonna dent plywood enough to see a hit at that range...

I would be happy to watch, but I won't be wasting ammo trying. At that point skill is less of a factor than Luck.

Make sure you are UNDER the overhang in the butts. Kevlar helmets may be a good idea as well.

If I was going to do it, I would get a mortar crew to assist. They have more experience with those type of trajectories.

A 10 MPH crosswind will move POI 35 feet! Of course the bullet only delivers 14ft-lbs of energy so as long as you have glasses on, should be no problem standing at the target. Might let someone else try it first though.

You would have to jack your scope way up in the air to do it.
I use about 24 minutes in my rings, but holy cow 300! I might try it if I can get enough range....

Way back in the 1930s, there was a match called the Mini Palma, using .22 rf. Died out, but the ranges were 100, 150, and 200 yds, as I recall reading about it in old American Rifleman magazines. Neighbor threw out a big stack, when I was about 12 years old...that was when my addiction started....thanks neighbor! PS: Those 1940s AR magazines were full of DIY gunsmithing, and useful info, not like the present day AR crap. They used to shoot 45-70 at 1K, and the MV was right around a 22 LR speed. Come ups would be close, maybe, but if a butterfly farted you'd be off the paper....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll bring beer to watch </div></div>

+1

This thread is like three (3) years old? Why was it revived? Has somebody actually done it yet? I wouldn't try it unless I had some way of actually replicating it; shooting "five mils over the top of that mountain..." to get the bullets dropping in the neighborhood would be fun I guess, but it's not really that attractive if I can't record "dope" and have an aiming point within my scope that can be placed on target every time.

Also, as fun as this would be -and I'd love to try it just for kicks- I can't think of a place around home where I'd feel comfortable slinging lead with so little hope of knowing where my bullets will actually land. If I was out West, there are a lot of places this could be done safely. I'd like to get up on a hill and shoot down into prairie if I was doing this. That way I could "walk" my way out from "normal" rimfire ranges of 400 yards and take it bite-size increments.

If/when somebody here tries this, please bear in mind that wind deflection will be...significant and a possible safety concern. Someone mentioned having a spotter closer to target. Cool idea...as long as they are behind/under something solid.

I'd love to see some results posted! As always, pictures/video or it didn't happen.

Deadly Punk.

A variation of 3 yards in distance or 9 fps in velocity cause over a 30" shift in theoretical point of impact at that distance. And that is on top of the other host of problems you have - one of which it finding a 5.8 Degree base. If you ever did find such a base, you would have to mount it in excess of 10% of the length of your barrel above the top of your barrel to prevent it from obscuring your aiming point. All kinds of issues here that will be working in conjunction with each other simultaneously that will make this infeasible at best, and more likely impossible, other than by sheer luck.

Who compared the 45/70 at 1K to a 22lr because the MV is "about the same"? Really? Go back to physics class. 500gr bullet at 1300fps compared to a 32gr bullet at 1600fps, there is NO comparison. A standard 1100fps 40gr bullet load will come out to 276ft of drop at 1000yd with a 100yd zero.
1600fps Stingers will be approximately 211ft of drop at 1000yd with 100yd zero.
A 45/70 launching a 500gr bullet at 1300fps will have approximately 150ft of drop at 1000yds. The 45/70 is regularly and routinely shot in competitions to 1000yds(and beyond) with surprising accuracy, using Vernier tang sights. These bullets are wonderfully suited to long distance shooting, a 22 caliber lead slug is not. And when that 500gr bullet gets there (in a couple days lol) it will be packing one hell of a punch.
These are all rough numbers on the fly with a rudimentary ballistic program but they still show a huge difference in trajectory between 45/70 and a 22lr.

I agree with others here insinuating this is the height of folly. When you have exceeded the practical accuracy of a cartridge then you are beyond its range. If it takes you 15 or 20 shots to make a hit at a certain distance then you are really wasting your time. I learned this summer that I can make a hit at one mile with my 30-06 tactical rifle. It is indeed dangerous at that range, and 4 out of 7 shots at that range were "close enough for government work". Certainly that does not mean my rifle is a good "mile rifle".

If you need larger and larger targets to "see" your hits then what you are doing is simply a stunt, and not a very good one at that.

I Shot 40gr hv ammo trying to get to 1000 yards, I could not even get them to fly that far. 950 was about it.

Waste of time and ammo in my opinion. I have a CZ that will print 1" at 100m and I'm lucky to hit a 6" plate at 200m consistently - due to wind. I applaud those who can stretch the capability of a given system, but in this case it is more luck than skill to hit anything at 1k with a .22 rimfire.

Concur, Best I can do at 300 is 12-18 inches. Hell I even spent three weeks of my spare time headspacing and weighing the rounds and I still only kept it down to 10" at 300. my 22WMR can deliver better results at 300 just screwing around... but a Kilometer?

DIP will make a custom base for "a few dollars more" I was thinking a custom MOA base for a 140 MOA LRs-1, add burris rings for 40 MOA.

What excellent sniper training.

You never know when you may have to kill a 8'x8' target at 1K and all you have access to is a .22.

Hey! It could happen!

wow, the only thing I can think of that can be taken down with that level of kinetic energy and that size round that is that big is those eye-in-the-sky blimps we have over those monster FOBs downrange. it'd take quite a few rounds to do it, but now I'm intrigued...

A grand with a .22 LR? Seems as though your bullet would just bounce off the paper target.
crazy.gif

Seriously? I'm all for trying fun stuff, but this is just ludicrous. I'd be more open to a guy trying to get his .50 BMG to five miles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously? I'm all for trying fun stuff, but this is just ludicrous. I'd be more open to a guy trying to get his .50 BMG to five miles. </div></div>

I wouldn't literally be more open to a 50 BMG being fired that far beyond its accuracy capability since I think I'd rather be hit by a stray 40 grain .223 @ 1k than a stray 750 grain slug @ 5k but yeah...this is pretty crazy.

Zero practical application (imho).

No practical way of repeating drop compensation using an aiming point within the scope without a dedicated rig (investing in which would be completely retarded, again in my opinion...)

That being said, if it can be done safely, what's the harm in trying?

Now I'm curious and seeing what it would take to even keep it my FOV @ 1k. I think I lack about 100 feet @ 4.5x in my Mueller APT. lol.

I guess my curiosity will run out about the same time I run out of "double" mils @ 5x...which should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 yards depending on ammo.

Happy dreaming.

I've done 400 yards and often shoot 330 (with fair accuracy) with a Savage MKII. I've posted before (w/ some disagreement) your going to need to shoot supersonic ammo for longer distances. It goes subsonic anyway pretty quickly but you need as much distance as you can when stretching them out past 300 yards.

This guy shoots 500 on the video and claims 600. Interesting, he is using same ammo I do when long distance shooting. I personally think 500 (and maybe 600) like this guy did under "perfect" conditions is the envelope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuXjMXMGvrA

Post a thread on rimfirecentral suggesting shooting a .22 beyond 100 yards and you'll get basically the same replies that have been posted in this thread.

.22 ammo is relatively cheap, if someone has a 1K range, whats the downside in trying this? Five years ago, on this very site, suggesting shooting .22LR to 400 yards was met with the same response this one has....then a few people went/did it/posted video and that was that.

I have a 1K range but my scope runs out of elevation at 425y. If it was a calm day, what's the harm?....go for it!

If I had the range and gun to do it, absolutely I'd try....there is no reason not too.

I've Never been out to but I've have shot around 250 and 350...had a blast. We weren't too accurate but we had fun.

I'd try. No hope of repeating on a different day, but given a few hundred rounds a willing spotter, (well protected) and a VERY calm summer day you might get a few. The ballistics are stupid, there's nothing practical about it, in fact it sounds a lot like "hold my beer, watch this", but.....

I've got a very safe 970 yd place for this. The spotter would have to be 300 yds away, but (s)he might be able to see or hear hits if the weather had been dry for a while.

It is indeed a silly idea, but why not, the results might be surprising.

Roughly looks like this amount of drop/velocity at 500 ft elevation, 60F, 29.9 Hg.

Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
(yd) (in) (MOA) (in) (MOA) (ft/s) (none) (ft•lbs) (s) (in) (MOA)

1000 -3381.9 -323.0 45.9 4.4 378.8 0.339 12.7 5.014 0.0 0.0

Looks like 281 ft of drop. With a 1 MPH wind, windage is 45.9".
With a 10 MPH it's 459"!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tempest 455</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roughly looks like this amount of drop/velocity at 500 ft elevation, 60F, 29.9 Hg.

Range Drop Drop Windage Windage Velocity Mach Energy Time Lead Lead
(yd) (in) (MOA) (in) (MOA) (ft/s) (none) (ft•lbs) (s) (in) (MOA)

1000 -3381.9 -323.0 45.9 4.4 378.8 0.339 12.7 5.014 0.0 0.0

Looks like 281 ft of drop. With a 1 MPH wind, windage is 45.9".
With a 10 MPH it's 459"!

</div></div>

smile.gif
I was getting the same rough numbers when I played with it on JBM the other day. I just don't know how you'd possible get there without just holding over by the extra hundred feet or so after you run out of optic.

clayne? How far out were you able to get using that VGM + maxing elevation in scope (+ mildots in your scope? Reduced power "mils"?) without using more holdover than could be measured using your mils? Thanks for your work btw, I've enjoyed following you on YT.

going about this all wrong thinking about using scope, this is a iron sight project!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matt Waage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">going about this all wrong thinking about using scope, this is a iron sight project! </div></div>

I think you are right.

Its been a while since I have shot out to 500 yards, Last time I did I was running a buckmasters 4-16 with not very much elevation adjustment. But I could get out to 500 yards with just the VGM +3 moa on the scope. The scope I have now has I think 120 total moa + 110 on the vgm. you do the math... plus 10 mil in hold over. ha ha. You guys are making me want to go shoot some LR .22lr again!

here is another video for yall... turn your volume UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7Yx4btFdY

Being optimistic here, and using the numbers JBM spits out for the Aguila SuperMax 30 grain solid with a MV of 1750 fps.

Assume the VGM gets us to 500 yards. We still need another 248-ish MOA.

248-120 from scopes internal adjustment = 128 MOA remaining.

128 - 36 MOA thanks to mils = 92 MOA or 76.5 feet of bullet drop compensation remaining.

That's getting a little ridiculous.

Still, getting a .22 LR out past 800 with an actual repeatable aiming point would be really interesting, in my opinion.

I think 400 yards is the practical limit for any "meaningful" accuracy with a .22 LR shooting high velocity ammo.

Standard velocity ammo maxes out around 300.

I think "meaningful" accuracy is hitting something the round could kill at least 50% of the time. At that distance we're talking prairie dog size or smaller game.

After extensive testing with my Annie with about every kind of ammo the best it could do was 10 shot groups measuring 4" wide by 10" tall in perfect conditions at 400 yards.

Hey Curtis when I get home from Germany we will have to mod our VGM's and prove it can be done. HaHa

Its only like a 188 foot holdover from a 50yd zero. (Eley 38gr HP listed as flattest .22lr in Ballistic) The trick is to be looking through a spotting scope and mortar your rounds in from the hip. You will want to place your target at the base of, say a really big flagpole. The extra tall flag poles are about 130 feet tall, so hold 50' feet above it? This of course does not take into consideration spin drift or wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly_punk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Being optimistic here, and using the numbers JBM spits out for the Aguila SuperMax 30 grain solid with a MV of 1750 fps.

Assume the VGM gets us to 500 yards. We still need another 248-ish MOA.

248-120 from scopes internal adjustment = 128 MOA remaining.

128 - 36 MOA thanks to mils = 92 MOA or 76.5 feet of bullet drop compensation remaining.

That's getting a little ridiculous.

Still, getting a .22 LR out past 800 with an actual repeatable aiming point would be really interesting, in my opinion.

</div></div>

I can tell you from often shooting at 330 yards, the heavier bullet groups much better. I used 32g Stingers at 330Y and the Blazers at 40g were far better.

Absolutely agree! I've found that CCI SV and Blazers far out performed the light stuff @ 200 and 300. I was merely using the Aguila SM's as an example because it's the fastest, lightest loading I could find data for, and would probably drop the least @ 1k. We already know accuracy is going to be a relative term @ that range, so I was focusing on just getting there even in theory.

-Deadly Punk.

If you could put up a cross bar at say 50 or 100 yards to use for an aiming point, that might work. That way it could be shorter.

Just thinking outside the box. Maybe put the rifle in a vise and adjust the vice with threaded feet? That way it would be more rigid. Like a mortar.