• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The 13th Warrior

iu

Reactions: Docsherm
One of the better book to film adaptations of Michael Crichton's work.

It’s probably another thread, but Crichton isn’t a very good writer. He is a great story teller, and uses a lot of science fact in his science fiction, but his style is completely flat and almost devoid of any literary devices. Every one of his books reads like a screenplay. They require actors to bring them to life, because there isn’t any in his writing. This is why so many of his books become movies. They started out that way, a lot like J.K. Rowling, though she can be forgiven for her writing because they’re children’s books.

It’s probably another thread, but Crichton isn’t a very good writer. He is a great story teller, and uses a lot of science fact in his science fiction, but his style is completely flat and almost devoid of any literary devices. Every one of his books reads like a screenplay. They require actors to bring them to life, because there isn’t any in his writing. This is why so many of his books become movies. They started out that way, a lot like J.K. Rowling, though she can be forgiven for her writing because they’re children’s books.
I always enjoyed Crichton's sort of "technical report" style. But he could not hold a candle to Forsythe.

The one thriller guy whose writing I could never handle was Robert Ludlum. His stories were great, but his cocaine-fueled-style of writing just made it impossible for me to get beyond a few chapters. His books made great movies!!!

Necro thread
Crichton based Eaters of the Dead on the travels journals of Ibn Fadlan…..a 10th century religious teacher and part of a group that traveled with the ambassador of Baghdad to Russia….then, a land of various tribes who traded with the Rūs …Volga Vikings

Last edited:
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Necro thread
Crichton based Eaters of the Dead on the travels journals of Ibn Fadlan…..a 10th century emmisary from the Islamic world to Russia….then, a land various tribes who traded with the Rūs …Volga Vikings
Yes... I recall that. Though I thought there was also a Beowulf angle.

There are a lot of necro threads right now because the update Wed. inserted a "View Similar Threads" feature that has people clicking down below the active thread. Many of them are older.

So I'd expect more necro threads to pop back up in the near future as folks post in them without checking the original date. I've done it a couple of times myself since Wed. Now just checking the Original/last post date before posting!

Cheers,

Sirhr

when your done with that blade, can I give it to my sister? (or something like that) // great line

For you guys that like adventure novels, have you ever read any Clive Cussler?

There are five different series, each with their own cast of characters.

I highly recommend reading Sahara. That is the one that got me hooked on his books.

Reactions: Moose
Watched this in the theatre in he US. What I remember is hearing gibberish dialogue for a while until I finally realize they are trying to speak norwegian (my native tongue). Still cracks me up when I see it - worst foreign language job in Hollywood history.

I highly recommend reading Sahara. That is the one that got me hooked on his books.
Fuck Dirk Pitt. He’s a superhero, not a real hero. He’s got Ned Flanders flaws.

one of my favorites. sucks but 2 of my favs are very pro muslim. "the 13th warrior" and "the wind and the lion" (sean connery in mid 70s). so is jeremiah johnson.

About 10 years ago I read a couple of his books and liked them.

Reactions: JoshPutman

I read them back in the 80's. They are still great "period" books. They're the equivalent of watching The Eiger Sanction or Snowbeast some other 60's/70's time capsule film.

Watched this in the theatre in he US. What I remember is hearing gibberish dialogue for a while until I finally realize they are trying to speak norwegian (my native tongue). Still cracks me up when I see it - worst foreign language job in Hollywood history.
Well then enjoy some music from the good side of the railroad tracks.

IMO the book was better.
most books are. See everything Steven King ever wrote, or better yet, Tolkien.

The LTR books are excellent, but the movie adaptations are so bad.

Tolkien was a genius and his writing reflects that. In addition to inventing the epic stories of Middle Earth, he made up languages, was an expert on Beowulf and Anglo Saxon culture, helped to translate the Hervarar saga ok Heiðreks and determined that it wasn't just another Medieval rewrite of Scandinavian folklore, but rather something far more ancient that was preserved from the 4th century when the Goths fought the wars against the Romans and Huns in Reidgotaland.

Any yet out of all that, the best Hollywood could do with his material was have Ian McKellen interact creepily with Elijah Wood while wearing bad costumes. And subject us to some really poor quality sword fights in even worse costumes.

Reactions: Eli17L
Well then enjoy some music from the good side of the railroad tracks.

That is not Norwegian, it is Swedish. To be historically accurate the vikings should have been speaking Icelandic as that is fairly close to old norse unlike modern Norwegian.

Last edited: