• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Accuracy International AX 308 Review Video is finally up!

Good video. It helped pass 30 minuntes by while mine is on the fedex truck and out for delivery but now that its over it just makes me want it more. Hoping to have mine by days end.

I do have one question for you though, assuming you purchased the AX, are you keeping the AE as well? I went back and forth between getting a AE MKIII and the AX and ultimately decided to pony up the extra and try out the AX. I know if I don't like the pistol grip I can break even at the price I paid and buy an AW or AE.

whats the barrel length and foreend tube length on the review rifle?

I do have one question for you though, assuming you purchased the AX, are you keeping the AE as well?

Unfortunately the AX was just a loaner from AINA. It had to go back. However if I had purchased it, I would have kept the AE MkII I currently have. It's just an excellent rifle. I would have set it up in a different caliber and continued to use it or set it up for my wife.

The barrel is 20". I believe there is only one rail option on the AX 308. I did not measure it while it was here.

The AX in the video has a 16" rail tube. The AI AX is offered in 13 and 16". Mile High only offers the 13" and EuroOptics offers the 16", FYI.

Did I hear correctly that I can use AICS mags in my AIAX? I only would like to know in case something happened and I needed to pick up a mag from the guy next to me that I would be in business....

what is the different b/w AE mark III vs AX "beside the stock", is it worth to pay extra for the AX?

what is the different b/w AE mark III vs AX "beside the stock", is it worth to pay extra for the AX?

Other than the stock the only real difference is the action. The AX has a squared flat bottom action, it's bonded to the chassis, picatinny rail is bonded, has integral recoil lug, and true double stack double feed mags that top load like an AR mag. The advantage for me is the way the mag loads. I always found the single stack AE MKI, and staggered MKII/AICS to be a little clumsy to load.

There's an advantage to the stock as well and that is the rails. No seperate mount is needed for a NVD, and you have plenty of spare rails and real estate to mount anything else you may want.

Whether the difference is worth the added cost is up to you. I got a very good deal on my AX so I couldn't say no, but if the price difference was $3K I would have probably gone with a MKIII folder. Aside from the stock the only functional advantage to me is the mags and that isn't worth almost double the money. I do really like the stock also but all I've done so far is dry fire the rifle, I'll be shooting this weekend as long as my scope and mount show
up.

Edit to add: There's a difference in barrels as well. The AE comes with a 4 groove 1:12 twist lothar walther unless you order it otherwise, and the AX308 comes with a 1:10 twist bartlein 5 groove. The Bartlein has it's advantage if you plan to shoot subsonic loads since you are very limited in bullets that will work in 1:12 at subsonic speeds and not tumble. I prefer the Lothar walther 4 groove because of the speed, they are the fastest barrels I've used. It's easy enough to order a second barrel and swap it, you can do it in about 10-15 mins with a barrel vise and action wrench, $200 worth of tools.

Last edited:
The AX is a HAMMER! But I have only shot AW's and AX's so I can only speculate. I love the double stack magazine, zero issues so far and match stages where a larger number of people hot problems hot loading a round on an empty mag I was impressed how even if canted the thing just runs. VERY impressed so far....

Thanks for the information. Great video BTW, it make me want to sell my stuff to fund this one.

Good video. But i would be interested to see more how it shoot to 300 yard or more... Some test ? Thank.

Great vid - thanks for putting in the time on it!

Does anybody know if the AX tactical brake is the same as the AW? Looking at an AX but want to use my existing AI can.

Good video. But i would be interested to see more how it shoot to 300 yard or more... Some test ? Thank.

It's an AI...I think it should do pretty OK!! ;)

Great review and video work!

I've searched alot but haven't found anywhere that states the adjustment range for trigger pull weight on the ax, do you happen to know?

Hi BB,

From what I have seen the AX seems to come with the double chamber brake ( well UK & rest of World deliveries anyway ) that was previously used on the AW Magnums in .300 win & 338.

So maybe the best bet would be just to transfer the single chamber tac brake from your AW to the AX & then use the can that way.

Now I did have a spare brake here somewhere.......................

:)

Dear John,

Your video's just get better & better. Well done mate.

Its a bit of a bugger however, as I reckon that this latest production will cost me about $6000.00 !

Wow.

That was really enjoyable to watch. Informative and somehow held my attention all the way through. Very well done.

Yes, I would really like to see more video reviews of top high end rifles.
Great job as usual LoneWolf!

Thanks TT3

A 300WM is calling me ;)

Have had a couple of chats with your old mate GC - yes, he can spec the rifle with the AW style single port brake so I can use my existing can on both.

Thanks for the thought on the spare brake. If it's the ex-UK "one careful owner" one that I know well....it's not threaded.

....AU$6K? Bargain!! Better start making space in your safe!!

Hi BB,

From what I have seen the AX seems to come with the double chamber brake ( well UK & rest of World deliveries anyway ) that was previously used on the AW Magnums in .300 win & 338.

So maybe the best bet would be just to transfer the single chamber tac brake from your AW to the AX & then use the can that way.

Now I did have a spare brake here somewhere.......................

:)