• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The agony of choosing !!!

josey88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2011
Ok , guys ... I ordered the rifle , which is on the way and arriving in 3 days , got the accesories also on the way (Karsten, Seekins rail, bolt handle, two 10rds mags) and now I got to the scope choice . Since I am on a budget and looking for the maximum bang for the buck , I thought of the Vortex PST 6-24x50 scope . It goes for around $700 (I think I can search for a better deal) on the SFP model .
Initially I thought of the Millet TRS-1 4-16x50 but the reviews scared the shit out of me so I looked at the SS 16X42 and the Vortex . Which would be a better scope and a good value ? I can go around $700 tops for now , so no US optics or NFs . I can use some advice here ... Thanks

Re: The agony of choosing !!!

I have run the 16x SS and felt it was a decent scope. If you have a $700 dollar budget my suggestion is save up another 400 and buy a used basic Night force NXS from the WTS section here. A 3-15 Nxs used would be ten times better than the other scopes you mentioned.
Just my two cents.

I am inclined to the PST 624S1M which is a SFP with a mil reticle and .10 mil turrets ... but I am open to different ideas

Uh, shouldn't we know the mission/intended purpose before recommending which scope?

I`ll be using the scope for range use only ... no hunting and mostly at 100, 200 and 300 yards (that is the capacity of the range I use) and , later on , increase it to 500 yards or more , but that will be when I move to a another state , perhaps late next year , if things go well .

Just got a vortex pst and love it! had to use cs and they were just great to deal with!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: josey88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I`ll be using the scope for range use only ... no hunting and mostly at 100, 200 and 300 yards (that is the capacity of the range I use) and , later on , increase it to 500 yards or more , but that will be when I move to a another state , perhaps late next year , if things go well . </div></div>
If that's the longest you'll be shooting, I don't see the need for the 6-24 power you mentioned in the 1st post (unless you're shooting at tiny bullseyes). In your price range, the SWFA SS 3-9x sounds like a top consideration.

Buying an optic is only agonizing when you don't have the cash to buy what you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buying an optic is only agonizing when you don't have the cash to buy what you want. </div></div>
Exactly (lol)...
And yes , I use small bullseyes .

I was looking in the same price range a month ago. I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and get my dream scope (a US optic) I haven't recieved it yet as it took me a bit to put down my 50% payment to get it started. However right after I did I got to get behind almost the exact same model scope that I ordered and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

HOWEVER if you just can't save up for it then any of the SS line will serve you well.

Good luck,
Merritt

I have been looking at the SS 5-20X50HD and it seems awesome . Of course it is $1500.00 ... I`ll see what I can do . Perhaps I can save some more and get the SS . I like it

If it were me, I would buy the SS 3-9 scope right now. You can get them for $500 or less off the Sample List or the EE. Save up your pennies while you train with the SS. Once you are comfortable at the shorter ranges/ have access to the longer ranges, take the pennies you saved up and purchase the awesome scope you have always dreamed about.

SS 3-9 or ss 10 x will work for 300 yards no problem and you never lose a lot selling a SS here, if you decide to upgrade sell the SS here and upgrade when you move. Otherwise get the vortex!
Im in the same boat trying to decide on a rimfire optic it is so hard to choose!

SS 3-9 or ss 10 x will work for 300 yards no problem and you never lose a lot selling a SS here, if you decide to upgrade sell the SS here and upgrade when you move. Otherwise get the vortex!
Im in the same boat trying to decide on a rimfire optic it is so hard to choose!

Well, I have been studying the whole thing and after considering all advices and opinions , I think I am going to go for the Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 SFP . I would be doing range use so I won`t need the FFP . This scope will do for me for now , and I won`t have to break the bank . If later on I find that I can upgrade , then I`ll sell it and will get the dream scope ... problem solved .

Get the Vortex Viper PST 4-16, they are an amazing scope. Right at budget at $700. I have a PST 4-16 on my 308 and I just got a PST 2.5-10, both have great eye relief and are top notch.