• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "All Around Bolt Gun"- Change my mind

LRSHOOTER0311

Green Eyed Devil
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2018
I see more and more guys in the threads chasing the ever elusive hunting, range, PRS, comp gun, etc. etc... We all want to save our hard earned money and buy one rifle to rule them all. The old saying, "Fear the man that owns one rifle, because he knows how to use it" implies that he is a master of that rifle. I'm inclined to agree with the quote as I own only a bolt gun, an AR15, and two pistols (one of which was a gift from my father and its sentimental), now I know this makes me a hypocrite of the quote, but I like others, like variety and feel as though I have "mastered" each system I own, no safe queens here. So in my boredom solitude today, I decided to put together a dream build and I'm curious as to others opinion.

Ground Rules:

Now, I want to layout the ground rules of this build... It must consist of:
  1. The rifle must be of known reliability and sub-MOA accurate out of the box with factory match ammunition (Covers all aspects, PRS, hunting longer ranges, comps, plus most need a rifle they can build upon overtime as budget becomes available aka modular)
  2. The rifle must be magazine fed (Comps, PRS, require higher capacities)
  3. The rifle must have under 24" barrel (Hunting aspects, you need something lighter and maneuverable, plus keep in mind the addition of a suppressor, I prefer 20")
  4. The rifle must be of common caliber that is available to the majority of shooters (NO WILDCATS, Ammo availability, budget friendly-ish, capable of 1,000 yards with room for error in calls for newer shooters)
  5. The rifle must be adjustable to shooter and able to adjust to shooting terrain (rough hunting terrain, PRS barricades, multi-positions)
  6. The rifle must not exceed $4,500 upon completion, including rifle, optics, bipod, other parts. (I know this seems a lot, but I didn't say the most budget friendly, their are other threads for that) * Side note: I would go with a Bergara HMR, Ruger RPR or the new Tikka T3x TAC A1, if that were the case*
  7. The rifle must be lighter that 12 lbs. completely outfitted for comps
Rifle Choice:

Let's kick this off, for the rifle, I would choose a Tikka T3x CTR Rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, which will run you $898.00 at EuroOptics currently, you may be able to find a cheaper one elsewhere or pick up a used one. I chose the Tikka for its known accuracy and reliability, the barrels are likely sub-moa out of the box and it's a proven system. The only other "out-of-the-box" rifle would be a HOWA 1500, however, I don't have direct experience with them but hear they are essentially Weatherby Vanguards, which I do have experience with. You could also save about $300 if you were going to pick up a chassis at the same time and just get a threaded HOWA 1500 barreled action which can be had for $500ish on Brownells, as they are on sale.

Chassis or Stock:

Next, while you can go with the standard Tikka T3x TAC A1, that comes from the factory with a pre-equipped chassis capable of going right to a PRS comp with, my personal choice (as budget allows) is the MDT ESS Chassis, which can be had fully setup for $1,047.99 including magazines and an additional accessory, a bag rider. If you use rear bags and have a chassis or a stock without a rear "foot" you'll know why this is a must buy. I intended to give magazines their own category, however the standard Tikka magazines are proprietary, priced at the same price as the AICS magazines, and are of the same quality so that is void. The great thing about this chassis is that it's modular, meaning it can be built on as budget allows, its lighter than the majority of chassis while being robust with features, without breaking the bank. The chassis itself runs like $900ish without the bag rider, folding stock option and spare magazine. But all in all, it's about a pound lighter than the MPA and offers more features in MY opinion. Besides, a CADEX comp lite chassis, which will run you over $500 more and an MPA will be about $100-200 more, along with weighing about a pound more. The only rival in terms of chassis to me would be the KRG Whiskey 3, which the base model (non-folding) can be had for $900, close to the same price as an ESS base platform. Also, the new Magpul Pro Chassis, but that's not my cup-a-tea...

Chassis build list and it can be bought as individual pieces overtime:
  • ESS Base for Remington 700
    • Action: Short Action
    • Orientation: Right
    • Color: Cerakote FDE
    • Chassis System: ESS Chassis System
  • ESS Forend - No Rail
    • Length: 18in (457mm)
  • Butt-Stock for ESS
  • M-Lok Rear Bag Rider
  • MDT Metal Magazines - Short Action
    • Caliber: 308
    • Capacity: 12 Round (No Binder Plate)
Worth mentioning is the grip change on the chassis, I swapped it out with a Masterpiece Arms EVG, which can be had for around $40.00, it gives the chassis more of a traditional bolt gun "feel" referring to the pistol grip area of most stocks. It also has a thumb shelf for your thumb, which was one of my pet peeves about other chassis. Call it preference or just "feel" but I like it better than wrapping my thumb around if I can help it.

For optics:

I would personally go with a the Leupold Mark 5 5-25x56mm, as I found one for $1,572.99 NIB, your experience may vary. If I was to go through with the Leupold, I would also chose the CCH reticle as it pays tribute in a way to the TREMOR 3 reticle without being as busy, which would play well to blending the hunting and comp setup. Its also 1.87 lbs, tell me of a scope that has zero stop and a competition style reticle that is built like a tank while weighing less. Honestly, I would like to know.... I'm not a Leupold fanboy either.

I would also look at the newer Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 .1 MIL -illuminated Mil-R reticle C557, which can be had for $1,250, and they are feature rich (i.e.- zero stop turrets, NXS glass quality, illuminated reticle, .MIL adjustments, FFP, etc). This optic to me is the best bang for the buck and pretty affordable for Nightforce standards. Not to mention the scope's name should be the name of this thread, (SHV) Shooter Hunter Varminter. This optic is also on par with the weight of the Leupold Mark 5, which is about 30 oz.

* Nigthforce SHV will be added to the overall cost due to savings and near the same value in features *

For Rings or Scope Mounts:

The Leupold Mark 5 downside is that it has a 35mm tube, which limits ring options, however, I chose the Badger Ordnance Rings, that can be had for $199.00 new and you could probably find a better deal if you look around. Also, I would say the rings make up for the "downside".

The M10 SCOPE RINGS from American Rifle are also another good set of rings that can be had in 35mm for $180. Nevertheless, A good set of rings, no matter the diameter, will run you about this much.

For Bipods:

For bipods I chose the Long Range Accuracy Ultralight F Class Bipod, which can be had for $379.00, I know this is a little unorthodox, however, they are light (Carbon Fiber) have a lower apex due to the "seat" position the rifle sits in and I found they lock up tighter than the ATLAS ones I have, which always have a little slop. * NOTE: This is for the purpose of PRS and Range Shooting NOT hunting. I would probably slap a Harris on it if absolutely needed/wanted for hunting purposes

I also went with a KRG MLOK™ 3 Slot (Single M-LOK™) Mount, that can be picked up for $49.99, this allows the quick detach of a bipod without the need to buy the more expensive QD mounts found on bipods such as ATLAS's. Check this out if you've never seen them, it would make for removing the bipod if you didn't need it for the hunting aspect a breeze.

NOT INCLUDED in the price below is:

The Sterk Shooting Tikka T3/T3x Titanium Bolt Shroud, which can be had for around $105.00 and the Sterk Shooting Tikka T3/T3x Titanium Pineapple Bolt Handle, which can be had for $115. These are great ways to change up the look and function of your bolt and therefore personal preference.

Also the Silencerco ASR Muzzle Brake, which can be had for around $74.00, this is listed as it covers a decent muzzle break price and fits my suppressor (Silencerco Hybrid) but yours may vary.

Grand Total: Price & Weight

Chassis: Base: 1.6lb, Forend: 0.6lb, Buttstock: 2lb. (Total: 4.2 lbs.)
Barreled Tikka Action: Barrel: 2.6lb, Action: 1.8lbs. (Total: 4.4 lbs.)
Optic Rings: Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1: 1.88 lb (Total: 1.88 lbs.)
Scope Rings: Badger 35mm Scope rings: ??? (Total: N/A) * If anyone knows let me know *

Total weight: 10.48 lbs- minus bipod (NOT for hunting weight calculation), ammo, and magazine * Still need scope ring weight *

The grand total of this build is $3,937.93 +/- your options and choices. If you think this is expensive, think again, most custom built rifles START at the $3,500-$4,600 price range for the BASE rifle, NO optics, bipods, etc.

Thought or opinions? Think I missed something? Let's me and others know in the comment section. Remember to keep it civil.

Last edited:
If money is no object I would've thought you would also list the TriggerTech Black Diamond full curve trigger, after all the trigger is where you make the body contact that counts. If you are taking it anywhere besides a bench on a flat range an ACI/ADI from Sniper Tools Design Co. with appropriate mount would be nice unless you rely on a rangefinder or ballistics app that indicates the angle, but then again batteries always burn out when you need them. Those are just accessories, other than that I think you got everything but the onions.

Last edited:
If money is no object I would've thought you would also list the TriggerTech Black Diamond full curve trigger, after all the trigger is where you make the body contact that counts. If you are taking it anywhere besides a bench on a flat range an ACI/ADI from Sniper Tools Design Co. with appropriate mount would be nice unless you rely on a rangefinder or ballistics app that indicates the angle, but then again batteries always burn out when you need them. Those are just accessories, other than that I think you got everything but the onions.

Money is an object, rule #6 under $4,500, This build so far is under that enough to where you could add it. However, the Tikka triggers are adjustable down to 2 lbs., my buddy tested his and it came out to 1.8 lbs. The Tikka triggers are one of the best factory ones I've ever used, no pressure take up with a clean crisp brake. There is a company called YoDave that makes a $10 spring that is supposed to make it even better, I don't really notice a difference. Nevertheless, If you never tried one adjusted all the way down, you should. As for the Angle mount, that is a good add on option.

I'm glad you like the build overall.

How much is the Fix by Q? Sounds like all that is already done in a factory package.

The Fix by Q is about $3,349 base, meaning NO optics, rings, bipods, etc. Granted you get a proof carbon fiber barrel, That's roughly only $588.93 +/- cheaper than this build. Now you have a rifle and chassis, but still need to go glass, ring and bipod shopping with that $588.93 budget.

Attachments

• rifle.JPG
    rifle.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
The MPA hybrid chassis should be lighter than the ESS. Also user configurable to add or remove weight which would be nice for a hunting/match rifle.

I'm not sure a 20" Tikka barrel's performance will match the price of your build. It will probably be very accurate, but you may be disappointed by the velocity.

The LRA F-class bipod is a very specialized bipod and definitely not my choice for a "do it all" rifle. Mine feels like it weighs about double the atlas. Only the legs are carbon, most of the weight is in the aluminum and steel hardware. If you meant the ultralight scout (not F-class), that's a much better choice albeit still heavier than atlas/Harris. The Atlas PSR and CAL lock solid, although honestly I prefer the play in the legs that the standard atlas has. I sold my PSR for this reason. YMMV.

Last edited:
The MPA hybrid chassis should be lighter than the ESS. Also user configurable to add or remove weight which would be nice for a hunting/match rifle.

I'm not sure a 20" Tikka barrel's performance will match the price of your build. It will probably be very accurate, but you may be disappointed by the velocity.

The LRA F-class bipod is a very specialized bipod and definitely not my choice for a "do it all" rifle. Mine feels like it weighs about double the atlas. Only the legs are carbon, most of the weight is in the aluminum and steel hardware. If you meant the ultralight scout (not F-class), that's a much better choice albeit still heavier than atlas/Harris. The Atlas PSR and CAL lock solid, although honestly I prefer the play in the legs that the standard atlas has. I sold my PSR for this reason. YMMV.

Let me do some weight research on the MPA hybrid, before I put my foot in my mouth, I know it beat their current one at the time in weight.

The 20" Tikka barrel performance is excellent, velocity is not a problem, as I'm not a speed freak. Also, it plays well with the addition of a suppressor, which I run on a permanent basis. Clay Martin, a former Marine and Green Beret, retiring out of 3rd Special Forces Group. He is a multi-decade and -service sniper, as well as 3-Gun competitor and Master ranked shooter in USPSA Production, wrote an amazing review on the Tikka performance.

He stated, "To put this in perspective, I was a sniper in two services for most of two decades. I graduated almost every sniper school in the DOD, and I taught both SOTIC and USMC Urban Sniper as a soldier and a contractor. In that time I was issued some pretty impressive bolt guns, some of which I can’t even tell you the name of. I haven’t tested durability yet, so excluding that the following statement is true. In a short action, I would choose this Tikka T3 over any bolt gun Uncle Sugar ever gave me. I would have no hesitation putting it up against a Surgeon, an Accuracy International, or any custom gun I have ever shot. I would go to the line, caliber for caliber, against any other gun I have ever laid hands too and not feel outclassed. I will get a redemption shot on paper grouping because Tikka can’t have this one back. I am buying it, and I would buy it at twice MSRP having shot it."

Here is the review:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...ds-tikkas-amazing-t3x-tac-a1-6-5-full-review/

The LRA F-Class bipod is definitely not my choice for a "do-it-all" rifle either, its my personal choice for range/steel comps. I wouldn't take or use a bipod for any of the hunting I do. So I still beat my weight limit. It's interesting about your experience with the ALTAS, I don't like play in the legs, it gives me the sense that I have to preload the rifle more than I should have to.

My current build:

Bighorn Origin action $750
PVA 22" shouldered pre-fit $525
KRG Bravo with spigot, etc $500
TT Special $125 - used
Vortex Razor 5-20x50 $850 - used
ARC rings $185
Harris $100

Total $3035

I think it'll end up heavier than your 12lb limit, but you could have another barrel spun up in a lighter contour or go with a Proof CF to save weight and still be under your $4,500 limit.

Starting with a factory rifle seems like a disadvantage when we have so many great aftermarket options.

Last edited:
My current build:

TT Special $125 - used
ARC rings $185
Harris $100

Total $3035

I think it'll end up heavier than your 12lb limit, but you could have another barrel spun up in a lighter contour or go with a Proof CF to save weight and still be under your $4,500 limit.

Starting with a factory rifle seems like a disadvantage when we have so many great aftermarket options.

M6z, thanks for sharing your build. I'm hearing more and more about the Bighorn actions and PVA barrels. Definitely nothing wrong with the KRG either. The weight is a must for this scenario given the dual purpose of the rifle. I see that you were able to pick up some good parts on a used status. As for the proof barrels, they are great high quality barrels, however I feel as though the market has caught up. You can get a Tikka T3x from the factory shooting consistent .310 inch shot groups with factory Hornady ELD Match ammo. Granted the Proofs will shoot faster in my experience, the cost for speed is negligible, and the accuracy is the same or close enough to the same that its also negligible. In the end, I would spend that extra $800 on PRS gear or ammo. As for the actions are also like ball bearings on glass smooth. Plus, keep in mind that you can pick up a Tikka T3x CTR off the shelf for $898. Also keep in mind the rules above, as they were put in place with the mindset that not everyone can afford a rifle build such as yours or mine off the get go. This route gets them shooting while they build into the gun and its more than capable in stock format. I don't know if you read above, but they have one of the nicest triggers out of the box and I'm a stickler for triggers, in fact, I have swapped out every bolt gun's trigger I've ever owned with the exception of the TIkka's.

If you get a chance read the post I respond to above and the article I posted by Clay Martin, you will be very hard pressed to find anyone on the hide with that guys experience level and he pits the TIkka against Surgeon, AI, and every other custom bolt gun.

I'm in agreement that the Tikka actions are one of the best actions you can find on a production rifle and I was very tempted to start my project with a Tikka.

That being said, choosing a 700 footprint action with savage barrel threads gives you a massive aftermarket for barrels and chassis/stock options. Those options are typically less expensive than those that fit the Tikka. Most are going to look at changing the stock on the T3X right away and at that point the prices are within a few hundred dollars.

Tikka $900
KRG Bravo $389
Total: $1289

Bighorn Origin barreled action from Keyston $1184
KRG Bravo $350
Timney $100
Total: $1634
https://www.keystoneaccuracy.com/Keystone-Custom-Shop.html

Last edited:
Reactions: gsd1983
My current build:

TT Special $125 - used
ARC rings $185
Harris $100

Total $3035

My current build:

TT Special $125 - used
ARC rings $185
Harris $100

Total $3035

there's enough there to add a 223 and mag bolt head, and a 223 and 6.5 PRC barrel. 3 very different calibers with the option for very different contours for range (223), PRS (6.5 Creed), hunting (7 SAUM/6.5 PRC, etc)

bravo saves over a pound.

even if you use new pricing you can VERY easily be within budget with a switchbarrel setup

now there's nothing wrong with getting a tikka T3 in the hunting cartridge you want and throwing it in a bravo and getting another barrel spun up. they're great actions. but its not the end all be all.

Reactions: hseII