• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The Athlon price jump

223Rem

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2004
Ocean View
Looking to get my first FFP optic for PRS, however do not have the money for the SB, NF and etc. Unfortunately, I really do not see these level of optics in my future either.

So specific to Athlon optics, are the $300 price jumps between the Argos, Helos and Ares BTR lines justifiable?

TIA

Don’t forget the Midas TAC. It’s just a bit more than the Helos. Anyway, that being said, with the price increase comes better options, larger tube diameter, better glass quality, etc...

having owned Midtas Tac, Ares BTR, handled an ETR and currently owning a Cronus BTR

yes.

they are all great - but all worth their respective prices

Probably going the middle of the road with the Helos as I found a new one $500 shipped. More than the Argos but all most half of the Ares.

Doug, I will call you later today. Thanks!

Whoever said it was good to be the king was never the king. I forgot it's Thursday, we are open till 8 tonight :confused:

Man is that the truth ?. Once you become owner, the work is never done.

To the OP, I haven’t compared side by side the Midas Tac to the Helos, but that would be my first order of business.

Call Doug, he’ll hook you up

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I have the Helos it is a good scope with great turrets. The eyebox is a little tight but it is well worth the money. Tracks great too.

If not needing locking turrets I'd go Midas TAC vs Helos.

Toss up on the TAC vs Ares BTR, superior .2 mil reticle in the Ares but it has illume, TAC has very distinct turret feel and make that awesome click sound.

The Argos BTR is a lesser scope appropriate to it's price, it does the job for cheap. Most will desire an upgrade sooner than later.

A friend just bought a ZCO. His paraphrased words over the phone to me were - Yuh know, my Cronus is almost comparable, more than I would have thought. I took it to mean, for twice the price he got more, but not hugely more.

Last edited:
Reactions: TacT-MecH
I love my Ares ETR, it is currently serving my 338 Lapua rifle very well. I lend my Midas Tac to a friend who just started, you know, you dont send crap to your friend.

The Cronus BTR is a hell of a lot of scope. It’s not perfect by any means, but it can hold its own with scopes twice its price. It really is a great go to scope that will keep you happy and some coin in your pocket.

Yes. I've had an Argos, regular Midas and Midas Tac. The Argos tracked well but the quality of the regular Midas and especially the TAC was much higher IMO.

Whoever said it was good to be the king was never the king. I forgot it's Thursday, we are open till 8 tonight :confused:

I own my own business too Doug. The best thing about owning your own business is you can work any 16 hours of the day you want :)

223Rem. CALL DOUG. He is a supporting vendor here and takes really great care of all the members. If you are looking at a Helos for $500 give Doug a call and see what he can get you a Midas Tac for. I have two and they are superior to the Helos and every way from what I have seen. I have spent more money at Cameraland in the last year and a half than I care to admit and the fokes there have always been great to deal with. On top of that, in the unlikely event that you should have any issues you will have someone you can talk to and get any issues squared away which is something you don’t get with the big companies out there.

... give Doug a call and see what he can get you a Midas Tac for.

I contacted Doug about getting the Midas TAC 6-24×50 with APRS3 (Xmas tree) reticle. Ordered from him over the phone after getting a better price than anywhere else.

One warning about other vendors... a lot of them are advertising the Midas TAC 6-24×50 with APRS3, but are shipping the APRS2 which is a less expensive scope. If wanting the APRS3 reticle, check and be sure that the SKU is 213077 (APRS3) rather than 213075 (APRS2).

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Unfortunately the un-insured (found out later yesterday) dirtbag who slammed into my wife on Wednesday had other plans for my gun money.

Reactions: D_TROS
I contacted Doug about getting the Midas TAC 6-24×50 with APRS3 (Xmas tree) reticle. Ordered from him over the phone after getting a better price than anywhere else.

One warning about other vendors... a lot of them are advertising the Midas TAC 6-24×50 with APRS3, but are shipping the APRS2 which is a less expensive scope. If wanting the APRS3 reticle, check and be sure that the SKU is 213077 (APRS3) rather than 213075 (APRS2).
This is the one I’m
looking at. Sounds like I need to put in a call to Mr. Doug!

A little older thread but...

Since then I've bought or used a bunch of scopes, the Argos BTR G2 6-24, Helos 1-4.5, Helos g2 1-10x28, Helos G2 2-12 and 6-24, the "Midas G2 6-24 - only used it for a day during a match", all the 30mm and 34mm Midas TAC's, all the Ares BTR's, the ETR 4.5-30, and the G2 Cronus 4.5-29.

Except for the Helos 1-10, which doesn't work well for my "old eyes", at my diopter setting above 5x, these have been amazing scopes. BTW I sent it back and was pleased at my CS experience!
Oh while on this subject I recently I traded into a March DFP 1-10 with "adjustable parallax" so my 1-10 problem is solved!

Recently I bought the Midas TAC 5-25 and the Helos G2 6-24. Versatility went to the Helos G2 but the Midas TAC won in the glass department by a noticeable margin and turrets by a hair. Both scopes so darn good it's hard for me to pick which one I like best! Won a match using the Helos G2 so it got the job done.

Hard to beat the G2 Cronus, after getting the first one I bought a 2nd one! So close to my $3000+ scopes its going to be hard to talk myself into spending the big bucks anymore.

A favorite among them is the Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR. One on my 6mmFatRat, and the other on a Steyr PRO-X. Just a fun and different kind of scope that is super versatile! I love the .3 mil dot. Just as at home hitting steel at 800Y on 12x with the FatRat as it is on 2X for fast target acquisition on the Steyr at close range on small steel!

A friend of mine has been buying various other brands in the sub $1000 range to experiment with and we get to comparing all our scopes in side by sides. More often than not the other brands have fallen short here and there for one or more reasons. It almost always our conclusion that Athlon gets the thumbs up! That's sayin something!

Looking forward to trying out more in 2022!