• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Barbecue Thread...Post Your Pics.

El Vaquero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nothing goes better with shooting guns than barbecuing and grilling. Post your best recipes and pics. I'll post a link to my site for a badass mesquite smoked brisket. I know Hide members have to 'cue it up at the ranch and/or some outdoor ranges.

My Trailer Pit, I'm still fixing her up.

photo.jpg

Thanksgiving Turkey (Pavo Borracho = Drunk Turkey)

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Re: The Barbecue Thread

This is unfair!

Now I gotta try it.

I do a pretty good smoked brisket using a dry rub of course salt, course black pepper, paprika, brown sugar and chili powder all in equla parts.

I usually get about a 5-6 lb brisket with good marbling on one side and the other at least a good 1/4 in of fat that I score down through to the meat in about 1 in squares. Then rub a lot of the rub onto the brisket, saran wrap it and put in the fridge overnight. Next morning pull it out and let it sit a little to get up to room temp and then throw in your smoker for about 7 hrs or so. I tend to use hickory for the brisket.

I don't have a smoker but I have a large charcoal grill that is drum shaped so I put the brisket on the same side as the smoke stack and put a pan underneath to catch any juices to use like an au jous and then the charcoal and wood go on the opposite side. Try to keep the temp around 220.

Haven't tried but am going to try to smoke a pork shoulder next weekend
smile.gif

Have to take some pics and post them. I have a couple from a few weeks ago when we threw a party at my house for some family that also just had their first child (we just had a girl). We had on the grill a 6 lb brisket, 2 whole chickens, ribs and chorizo....

A little brisket action.

Made all of these for the 4th of July.
91cce467.jpg

4cdddb5c.jpg

0382f96a.jpg

1e0584d6.jpg

Here's my latest piece of BBQ gear:
IMG_1213.jpg

Ended up with 13lbs of pulled pork the first time I fired it up.

IMG_1214.jpg

Smoked pork loin roast

P1040271.jpg

P1040273.jpg

Another smoked loin I did on a Weber grill.

IMG_0679.jpg

Old fuel hungry pig I regret getting rid of.

IMG_0546.jpg

It did produce some fine eats

IMG_0554.jpg

That's it: Next Moto GP I'm coming over to your house!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's wrapped in the bacon? </div></div>

A pork tenderloin. I've also had deer tenderloin using the same method. No dryness whatsoever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: anthony20031</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do a pretty good smoked brisket using a dry rub of course salt, course black pepper, paprika, brown sugar and chili powder all in equla parts.

I usually get about a 5-6 lb brisket with good marbling on one side and the other at least a good 1/4 in of fat that I score down through to the meat in about 1 in squares. Then rub a lot of the rub onto the brisket, saran wrap it and put in the fridge overnight. Next morning pull it out and let it sit a little to get up to room temp and then throw in your smoker for about 7 hrs or so. I tend to use hickory for the brisket.

I don't have a smoker but I have a large charcoal grill that is drum shaped so I put the brisket on the same side as the smoke stack and put a pan underneath to catch any juices to use like an au jous and then the charcoal and wood go on the opposite side. Try to keep the temp around 220.

Haven't tried but am going to try to smoke a pork shoulder next weekend
smile.gif
</div></div>

Take some pics!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's it: Next Moto GP I'm coming over to your house! </div></div>

You'd be welcome. Just give me a head's up a week or so ahead of time and if I'm not working the race I'll fire up the smoker.

Some dove breast concoction with jalapenos, bacon and cream cheese...

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Butterflied and stuffed duck breast. Stuffed with cream cheese and pickled jalapeno slices, wrapped in bacon of course.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

My buddy breaking in his Traeger the proper way...

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

Pigfest!!!

IMAG02701.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Gotta get a good burn on it in the beginning stages to lock in all the good stuff.
IMAG0278.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

2ex0epf.jpg

I try to smoke something every week but usually it's chicken or salmon, briskets just take too damn long (13ish hours)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2ex0epf.jpg

I try to smoke something every week but usually it's chicken or salmon, briskets just take too damn long (13ish hours) </div></div>

What kind of rig are the briskets getting smoked in? They look tasty!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What kind of rig are the briskets getting smoked in? They look tasty!!! </div></div>

It's a Brinkman propane smoker, it has the best temperature control, which is key, of any smoker I've ever used.

Re: The Barbecue Thread...Post Your Pics.

I have been smoking meats for a while now.

Company Cookout for our employees
3smokin.jpg

we were cooking ribs
cookingonthechurchBubbagrill.jpg

My Helper
HELPER.jpg

brisket fresh on the smoker
brisket1.jpg

couple of hours in
brisket2.jpg

just before taking it off the smoker
brisket3.jpg

results
brisketsliced2.jpg

Bacon basket weave elk tenderloin and deer tenderloin with a red pepper honey BBQ sauce.

646e6918.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been smoking meats for a while now.

Company Cookout for our employees
3smokin.jpg

we were cooking ribs
cookingonthechurchBubbagrill.jpg

My Helper
HELPER.jpg

brisket fresh on the smoker
brisket1.jpg

couple of hours in
brisket2.jpg

just before taking it off the smoker
brisket3.jpg

results
brisketsliced2.jpg

</div></div>

What is that wire looking thing poking at the brisket? The second to last pic. You have some badass BBQ rigs. The cue looks tasty!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
What is that wire looking thing poking at the brisket? The second to last pic. You have some badass BBQ rigs. The cue looks tasty!!! </div></div>

I'm gonna say it's a thermometer.

And yes, that brisket looks damn good!!!

not barbecue but grilling chicken quarters over oak coals on my backyard fire pit.

sorry for the shitty cell phone pictures in the dark.

9834b46f.jpg

4a418312.jpg

i make my own rubs and marinates for almost everything. for grilled chicken, lawry's seasoning salt is my favorite. a healthy dose of that on chicken grilled over oak coals is by far the best chicken i ever had.

next on my list of projects is a rotisserie for the backyard fire pit. i also have a reverse flow cooker planned and have the tank for the cooking chamber already but haven't gotten around to moving forward on it. i'm debating between making it semi-stationary in the yard or trailer mounted.

i love tri-tip. i cook it different ways depending on my mood. sometimes i will just grill it quickly directly over coals and other times i will cook it indirect for a longer period of time.

i HATE gas grills and love my webber. my girlfriend likes them. so, we still have a gas grill that she had when we met. i had about 14-15 lbs of tri-tip i needed to cook one night and had to be creative with the limited resources i had available. i used the gas grill to cook the meat slowly and finished it off on the webber to give it some smoke and color. i didn't hear any complaints that night about the food. then again, after the drinks start flowing and food is served, not too much complaining goes on anyways.

real basic seasoning. i prefer to taste the meat, not the seasoning.

tri-tip1-1.jpg

i hated to have to use the gas grill but a guy's gotta do what they gotta do.

tri-tip2.jpg

at least i got to use real fire for a few minutes.

tri-tip3.jpg

it was a success but i still have the urge to drag that gas grill to the bottom of the property, fill it with tannerite and shoot at it.

128 Lb hog I did for a few friends for a Christmas Party. Done "Elvis" with a twist......... 12 1/2 hours in the cold

IMG_0670.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">128 Lb hog I did for a few friends for a Christmas Party. Done "Elvis" with a twist......... 12 1/2 hours in the cold

IMG_0670.jpg
</div></div>

<span style="font-size: 14pt">Best thread ever.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not barbecue but grilling chicken quarters over oak coals on my backyard fire pit.

sorry for the shitty cell phone pictures in the dark.

9834b46f.jpg

4a418312.jpg

i make my own rubs and marinates for almost everything. for grilled chicken, lawry's seasoning salt is my favorite. a healthy dose of that on chicken grilled over oak coals is by far the best chicken i ever had.

next on my list of projects is a rotisserie for the backyard fire pit. i also have a reverse flow cooker planned and have the tank for the cooking chamber already but haven't gotten around to moving forward on it. i'm debating between making it semi-stationary in the yard or trailer mounted. </div></div>

You can't go wrong with a trailer pit. There will be a time when you will need the mobility of a big pit like that. Build the trailer pit!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love tri-tip. i cook it different ways depending on my mood. sometimes i will just grill it quickly directly over coals and other times i will cook it indirect for a longer period of time.

i HATE gas grills and love my webber. my girlfriend likes them. so, we still have a gas grill that she had when we met. i had about 14-15 lbs of tri-tip i needed to cook one night and had to be creative with the limited resources i had available. i used the gas grill to cook the meat slowly and finished it off on the webber to give it some smoke and color. i didn't hear any complaints that night about the food. then again, after the drinks start flowing and food is served, not too much complaining goes on anyways.

real basic seasoning. i prefer to taste the meat, not the seasoning.

tri-tip1-1.jpg

i hated to have to use the gas grill but a guy's gotta do what they gotta do.

tri-tip2.jpg

at least i got to use real fire for a few minutes.

tri-tip3.jpg

it was a success but i still have the urge to drag that gas grill to the bottom of the property, fill it with tannerite and shoot at it.

</div></div>

I hate gas grills too, but they come in handy when it rains or you're too tired to stoke up the pit.

We do a lot of grilling and slow cooking on the grill, but smoking is what I wan't to get good at. I used to grill 4-5 nights a week. I bought my dad a Big Green Egg for Christmas, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that does. Anyone have experience with a BGE? Everyone I talk to that has one seems to love it.

Love my BGE. Did the Thanksgiving turkey on it this year. Favorite meal is a whole chicken and the brownies while we eat. You'll love it.

Yep, that is a Taylor thermometer. I use it on my pork butts, shoulders, and briskets. Brisket is very important to get the temps right to get the results you want.

I will be glad to share the recipes via pm if you guys want. Just pm me. I need to network on here, cause I am just getting into long range shooting.

Smoked 5 whole chickens for Christmas. Soaked for 48 hours in a brine of water, salt, molasses and maple syrup (the real stuff). Smoked them yesterday for about 6 hours with a mix of 45% pecan, 45% cherry and 10% hickory. We ate one for dinner last night and I just finished pulling the remaining four which we'll have today on sandwiches.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

I've soaked chicken in a brine for years prior to grilling but this was the first time I did it before smoking. It's definitely going to be a part of the process from now on. By far the tastiest, moistest chicken I've smoked to date.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smoked 5 whole chickens for Christmas. Soaked for 48 hours in a brine of water, salt, molasses and maple syrup (the real stuff). Smoked them yesterday for about 6 hours with a mix of 45% pecan, 45% cherry and 10% hickory. We ate one for dinner last night and I just finished pulling the remaining four which we'll have today on sandwiches.

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

I've soaked chicken in a brine for years prior to grilling but this was the first time I did it before smoking. It's definitely going to be a part of the process from now on. By far the tastiest, moistest chicken I've smoked to date. </div></div>

Those are some damn good looking birds. Did you smoke them in foil or just straight smoke?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Those are some damn good looking birds. Did you smoke them in foil or just straight smoke? </div></div>

Just straight smoke. The wind killed me the first couple of hours so I relocated the smoker to the side of the house and was able to get the temps where I wanted them. 225* usually takes right at 4 hours for the whole chickens, these took around 6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love tri-tip. i cook it different ways depending on my mood. sometimes i will just grill it quickly directly over coals and other times i will cook it indirect for a longer period of time.

</div></div>

I love tri-tip as well. Smoked one for us at Christmas this year. It's just difficult to get around these parts. Not like in Cali where you guys are up to your eyeballs in it, LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i love tri-tip. i cook it different ways depending on my mood. sometimes i will just grill it quickly directly over coals and other times i will cook it indirect for a longer period of time.

</div></div>

I love tri-tip as well. Smoked one for us at Christmas this year. It's just difficult to get around these parts. Not like in Cali where you guys are up to your eyeballs in it, LOL! </div></div>

hey ed. long time no see. how you been?

it seems it was just a few years ago that people in different parts of the country didn't even know what tri-tip was. i've been cooking it since the '90s and practically lived on it and beer all through my twenties
grin.gif

Doing well.

People still don't know what the heck it is unless you actually go to a butcher. Otherwise, you get blank stares.

I could live on tri-tip and beer!

This thread just ain't fair. When I moved earlier this month I ran out of space on the truck to bring my smoker along. My old neighbor got a hell of a present, but I'm smokerless for the time being. Still deciding what I'm going to replace that one with. I'll deffinately be going bigger, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of what I would like at the moment.

I miss living close to a real butcher, used to get some really nice prime ribeyes.

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread just ain't fair. When I moved earlier this month I ran out of space on the truck to bring my smoker along. My old neighbor got a hell of a present, but I'm smokerless for the time being. Still deciding what I'm going to replace that one with. I'll deffinately be going bigger, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of what I would like at the moment. </div></div>

you must be on another forum i'm on. i know i've read this somewhere else but can't remember where.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread just ain't fair. When I moved earlier this month I ran out of space on the truck to bring my smoker along. My old neighbor got a hell of a present, but I'm smokerless for the time being. Still deciding what I'm going to replace that one with. I'll deffinately be going bigger, but I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of what I would like at the moment. </div></div>

Have a welder make you a backyard pit with an offset firebox. Better than the so called pits you can buy at the sporting goods store. Plus it will last forever!!!