• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The beginning of the end.

ironman56

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
Well it had to happen , Tesla started laying off workers at the Austin plant last week , and I've got two brothers that work there , one found out yesterday the he was being fired not layed off, because of a complaint that a coworker made 2 years ago, just their way of not paying severance pay I guess , that 50$ hour was nice while it lasted , I told him when he quit his job to take the Tesla job that it might not last cause the EV craze was just a fad that was bound to bust in a few years , yep right again, outta listen to your older brother sometimes , he has the benefit of having made more mistakes already, he'll be fine though , damn good mechanic and there's a huge demand for them.

Was just working in Milford MI and a Tesla parked in the lot across the street started smoking and then burst into flames - So super expensive, not many charging station options (I think 7 in my entire county) don’t hold a charge in extremely cold temps and burst into flames on warm spring days . Sounds great I’ll have 2

When I’m driving around my town and area it has to be about 1 out of 5 cars is a Tesla. The house down the street has 3.

Im still driving around in my truck with a V8 and getting dirty looks from them, but I’m also not worried about the winter when it’s below zero and I have to head out of town

When I’m driving around my town and area it has to be about 1 out of 5 cars is a Tesla. The house down the street has 3.

Im still driving around in my truck with a V8 and getting dirty looks from them, but I’m also not worried about the winter when it’s below zero and I have to head out of town
The Model Y is currently the best selling car in the World.

Reactions: S3th
Not surprised in the least. First, few can afford the fucking things. Second, the claimed range is total bullshit, especially in cold climates. Third, there is no where to charge them, try driving cross-country with one, Better have a month free. Fourth, they sound like my RC cars, a toy. They are soulless, boring appliances. I'll never buy one. I'll be keeping my V8 truck, my V8 Camaro, and my Jeep till they die, or I die.

Fuck "climate change", the EPA and of course and most especially, Joe Biden.

Hold on while I call in our resident $TSLA bull... @S3th

Nothing burger. Tesla aligning with all other F500s.

General Motors (GM): GM has issued layoff notices to 1,000 workers at Orion Assembly north of Detroit and announced 400 more layoffs at the Lansing Grand River factory also in Michigan. Furthermore, GM has cut about 10% of its staff, about 14,000 workers, as it grapples with slowing sales.

Ford: Ford has laid off 1,400 workers at the Ford Rouge complex. In addition, Ford halted 2024 F-150 production in January, temporarily laying off 9,700 workers. Ford is also dramatically cutting the hourly workforce at the factory that builds the Ford F-150 Lightning starting next week.

Rivian: Rivian has announced two rounds of layoffs in 2024. The first round affected 10% of all salaried workers and the second round resulted in a further 1% reduction in employment.

L
Toyota: Toyota has not announced any layoffs in 2024. However, they have offered a buyout to certain team members in specific leadership positions with at least five years of service as part of a reorganization plan.

Not surprised in the least. First, few can afford the fucking things. Second, the claimed range is total bullshit, especially in cold climates. Third, there is no where to charge them, try driving cross-country with one, Better have a month free. Fourth, they sound like my RC cars, a toy. I'll never buy one.

Fuck "climate change", the EPA and of course and most especially, Joe Biden.

IMG_0566.png

Reactions: MadDuner
A lot of people are losing jobs and cannot afford new cars. It turns out that handing the production of your oil off to a foreign country is not that great of an idea. Or writing off billions in student loans.

But what do I know? We have an admin saying that inflation is the lowest it has ever been while loans for property improvement projects like swimming pools is at least 10 percent.

We do need to vote harder and I mean that seriously.

Reactions: Oldloser
I own tsla but wouldn’t buy their vehicles. Not opposed to EVs and I’m a big fan of Elon. I just don’t like their internet connection and all the data that gets pulled up and the amount of software you have no control over.

That’s said, if things go the way I want, in 2 yrs I’ll have enough solar and battery to charge an EV and I’ll buy one (maybe a Jeep gladiator rubicon EV) and never need gas again.

Do they have a graph of KW usage cost against 30mpg offerings?
Serious question.

R

Lol, preferably not from tesla.

R
You asked if "they" have a graph. Who am I to assume "they" are in your question?🤷‍♂️

I'm sure a Google search would give you the answer you're looking for. I doubt their claims are unsubstantiated or far from real world numbers. The link I provided allows you the user to input your own kWh numbers based on your current rate. Otherwise, I cannot change your prejudice.

I’d put an extra loud muffler on just to spite em👍

You asked if "they" have a graph. Who am I to assume "they" are in your question?🤷‍♂️

I'm sure a Google search would give you the answer you're looking for. I doubt their claims are unsubstantiated or far from real world numbers. The link I provided allows you the user to input your own kWh numbers based on your current rate. Otherwise, I cannot change your prejudice.
Relax, not that important.
Have you ever had a manufacturer embellish their performance numbers?

R

I work in construction and there's layoffs everywhere. We had layoffs at the Microsoft Data Center that we're building for the US military here in SA down the road. There's layoffs in refineries all the time, there's layoffs in pipelines, etc.

That's how these jobs are. Anytime you take a job in construction, you don't know if you're going there for 3 weeks or 2 years.

Well it had to happen , Tesla started laying off workers at the Austin plant last week , and I've got two brothers that work there , one found out yesterday the he was being fired not layed off, because of a complaint that a coworker made 2 years ago, just their way of not paying severance pay I guess , that 50$ hour was nice while it lasted , I told him when he quit his job to take the Tesla job that it might not last cause the EV craze was just a fad that was bound to bust in a few years , yep right again, outta listen to your older brother sometimes , he has the benefit of having made more mistakes already, he'll be fine though , damn good mechanic and there's a huge demand for them.

Tell him to file for unemployment and also file for being not paid his severance and force them to take it to a hearing and show the actual stupid complaint and why and then force details out of who made it and why and such.

I'd bet there is a lot of dirty laundry going on in their "firing" processes that they don't want coming out in the open.

Reactions: supercorndogs
I bought a new bronco sport back in Nov. I had been looking to get a new small SUV since 2021 but the covid shit pushed the prices through the roof , so I waited and it paid off , got the big bend modle for 2600 below MSRP and 0.9 % intrest. Getting 32mpg combined on premium fuel so I'm a happy camper so far, was leaning toward a hybrid model but there just wasn't any in my price range , same thing for Toyota, which is probably the best made SUV made but I'd had to fork over 15k more dollhairs, of course in the long run that might have been a better choice, but I did get a 80k ten year bumper to bumper warranty.

Is that required in Texas?

You could just take it and walk away without a fight.

Depending on the city / county he was in and any specific rules, they may have in place requirements when mass layoffs are done.
It never hurts to complain and make them prove it.
Also if you can prove the firing for cause was possibly bogus to cover up a downsizing, you might come out better as well.

Is that required in Texas?
Last I checked, Texas is an "at will" employment state.

They can fire you at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all.

Severance only comes into play if you have a prenegotiated contract that includes it. Executives typically have those in place, but not the common hourly or even salaried employee.

Reactions: Ronws and NoDopes
If I lived in an area where it made sense I'd buy a EV. It would be nice to just plug in a car once in a while overnight instead of stopping for gas. That's the lazy me talking, but I get it works for some people not others. So just like we habe Hi-Point and savage people. The car world has EV's and hybrids. And not I don't think they should be subsidized, it should just be another option.

Reactions: taliv
Nothing burger. Tesla aligning with all other F500s.

General Motors (GM): GM has issued layoff notices to 1,000 workers at Orion Assembly north of Detroit and announced 400 more layoffs at the Lansing Grand River factory also in Michigan. Furthermore, GM has cut about 10% of its staff, about 14,000 workers, as it grapples with slowing sales.

Ford: Ford has laid off 1,400 workers at the Ford Rouge complex. In addition, Ford halted 2024 F-150 production in January, temporarily laying off 9,700 workers. Ford is also dramatically cutting the hourly workforce at the factory that builds the Ford F-150 Lightning starting next week.

Rivian: Rivian has announced two rounds of layoffs in 2024. The first round affected 10% of all salaried workers and the second round resulted in a further 1% reduction in employment.

L
Toyota: Toyota has not announced any layoffs in 2024. However, they have offered a buyout to certain team members in specific leadership positions with at least five years of service as part of a reorganization plan.
Funny thing is, didn't all these unions just "win" big pay raises?

So now unemployed, how's that working out for you union workers....

Doc

Damn. Even with gas at $5/gal and my electric costs at the low end of my rate table ($0.074 low, $0.091 high), IF those prices held for 5yrs straight , I'd only save $3k a year over my 01 ram 5.7L (11mpg). Would have thought it would be more. I wouldn't buy a Tesla anyway, for similar reasons to taliv (but adding that fit/finish is poor and I'd never own a car I wasn't "allowed" to work on myself or could be rendered obsolete by a lack of repair/software support), but those numbers don't make sense unless your electric is free. Thanks for posting that link, really was illuminating.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
The whole EV craze is a pile of shit. They're nothing new. We've had electric vehicles on and off since the late 1800's. They never caught on, and they never will. Most are nothing but overpriced Jay Leno toys.

Any product the government pushes is for their benefit, not yours. If these things were so great, they wouldn't have to give you cash incentives and discounts to buy them. It's no different than all of this solar crap they're screwing into people's roofs.

One good hailstorm or hurricane and they're gone. It's why insurance companies in Florida are dropping homeowners coverage for people who have them.

If EV's are so wonderful, people would be standing in line to buy them... They're not. Look at LED light bulbs, big flat screen TV's, microwave ovens, pocket calculators, home computers, and on and on.

They took over the market because they were so much better than what was on the market back then. Then look at EV's. They've been pushing these things for years, and they are barely 1% of the car market today. There is a good reason for that.

When all of this foolishness ends, I feel sorry for the people who are going to be stuck with these rolling turds.

Last I checked, Texas is an "at will" employment state.

They can fire you at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all.

Severance only comes into play if you have a prenegotiated contract that includes it. Executives typically have those in place, but not the common hourly or even salaried employee.

If they fired him for a two year old complaint instead of laying him off. And he could not recive it because he was fired instead of laid off. I would guess there was a severance agreement.

I would contact a lawyer and look for others that were fired instead of laid off. Playing fuck fuck games to avoid giving an employee the money they agreed to give them is bullshit.

If they fired him for a two year old complaint instead of laying him off. And he could not recive it because he was fired instead of laid off. I would guess there was a severance agreement.

I would contact a lawyer and look for others that were fired instead of laid off. Playing fuck fuck games to avoid giving an employee the money they agreed to give them is bullshit.
B-But Musk is so great!

Lmao

Ain't gonna happen , won't go into details but he said a racist remark , supposedly, that's all it takes ,end of story , in texas no recorse ,he's ok $ had lots of Vaca saved up that they can't take .

I know someone who needs new batteries for his Tesla. Dealer quoted $15,000 and it's only 5 years old. Hope that number is figured in those studies. I can buy a lot of diesel for my truck for 15 grand.

Reactions: jbrand11
Ain't gonna happen , won't go into details but he said a racist remark , supposedly, that's all it takes ,end of story , in texas no recorse ,he's ok $ had lots of Vaca saved up that they can't take .

He could still fight for unemployment benefits. He might not win, but he can file, wait for their counter, then demand a hearing.

I've had to deal with employees who have been let go and their filings.
Tesla would be a bit hard pressed to explain the multi year gap in suddenly firing him.
They would also have to prove that they had a policy in place at the time, and they investigated it properly and had proof and had given him a written warning or such at the time.
Hearings don't always go the employer's way if they are being a bit shady about things.

Texas is an at will state so you can fire employees anytime you want.
But they can also file for unemployment and force you to prove things were done by the book.

Now the amount may not matter to him if he had lots of vacation that they will have to pay out.

I know someone who needs new batteries for his Tesla. Dealer quoted $15,000 and it's only 5 years old. Hope that number is figured in those studies. I can buy a lot of diesel for my truck for 15 grand.

That's actually a pretty decent price for a replacement battery, they used to be a lot more.

Replacement battery cost is still the big killer of EV affordability as they get older and the issue with 2nd and 3rd and 4th owner sales like you could see with a fuel powered car.

Supposedly a few years from now, new battery chemistry and designs might make that a lot less of an issue.

Now the amount may not matter to him if he had lots of vacation that they will have to pay out.
Hell, FL is capped at some near worthless amount (like $300/week iirc), but if I were fired without cause, I'd still go after it. Fuck em.
Coarse, having worked for myself the last 25yrs, I don't really have that option. Wish I did, my boss is a real ball buster. The only guy I know who calls me horrific names when I fuck up. Wanders around muttering about me being a fucking retard. :LOL:

That's actually a pretty decent price for a replacement battery, they used to be a lot more.

Replacement battery cost is still the big killer of EV affordability as they get older and the issue with 2nd and 3rd and 4th owner sales like you could see with a fuel powered car.

Supposedly a few years from now, new battery chemistry and designs might make that a lot less of an issue.

Solid state batteries are a great improvement. I wonder if a drop in EVs is going to hit the semiconductor industry.