• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Best Action for PRS Practice

Antonino

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2020
Hello folks, I'm asking for an opinion:
what better action lends itself to practicing PRS? In particular, what features do the bolt lever lend themselves best, length, angles, pieve?
Thank you

Very subjective as to personal preference. Some like 90* some like 60* some like one brand but not another. You will find people that love/hate every brand/model action out there for different reasons.

Go to proof research’s website and look at what actions they make prefit barrels for and choose one of those actions. This will allow you to buy cheaper and easier to obtain barrels which if you get serious about prs will come in handy.

Then go try and find those actions in stock somewhere. Buy which ever one you can find the action and a barrel in stock.

Hello folks, I'm asking for an opinion:
what better action lends itself to practicing PRS? In particular, what features do the bolt lever lend themselves best, length, angles, pieve?
Thank you
Practice with the action (and barrel and cartridge and scope and bipod and chassis/stock and support bag) you intend to compete with.

For me, that means two lug, 90*, Remington 700 clone, aics mag compatible, machined (not screwed or pinned) lug and rail, prefit compatible. I can’t comment on pieve.

Reactions: Antonino
Or just practice with your match rifle……… a new scope, action, barrel, chassis, dies, brass, powder, bullets ect for the practice rifle will cost $3k on the bottom end. How much ammo and barrel life does that buy for your match rifle?

I have a Sabatti Str in 308 with on a Kahles 6/24 ... it has about 8/9k shots. The question is as regards the future system change and I wanted to do an idea about what to direct myself.

I have a Sabatti Str in 308 with on a Kahles 6/24 ... it has about 8/9k shots. The question is as regards the future system change and I wanted to do an idea about what to direct myself.
I would think that you would want to use an action as close to what you have already. I believe you have a three lug action.
Are you going to continue to shoot .308?
Can you have your action rebarreled?
Is your rifle the STR sport that comes in a chassis?
Ultimately, your answer depends on what is available to you.
A .223 would make an excellent trainer, allowing you to focus on your fundamentals.
You can train and practice with a quality 22 LR like the CZ457.
If, on the other hand you're asking what kit to run in matches, the answers are nearly endless and are dictated by your budget.

... the focus is not on my "fundamental", I have been shooting for 7/8 years with the 308, I also shoot with the 457MDT... What I was asking for is an opinion on the actions and shutter (on the shutter lever especially)... on which angle 60 or 90, on two or three fins, or on some modifiable device... the rest is not of interest.... TNK

I would think that you would want to use an action as close to what you have already. I believe you have a three lug action.
Are you going to continue to shoot .308?
Can you have your action rebarreled?
Is your rifle the STR sport that comes in a chassis?
Ultimately, your answer depends on what is available to you.
A .223 would make an excellent trainer, allowing you to focus on your fundamentals.
You can train and practice with a quality 22 LR like the CZ457.
If, on the other hand you're asking what kit to run in matches, the answers are nearly endless and are dictated by your budget.
... I think I also change caliber, I would be oriented on 6.5 Creed or on 6.5x47 which are more performing than 308

I'm using a Bergara BXR for positional training. It's cheap, accurate, and fun. Building another rifle just for training purposes would be a huge waste. I'd rather just buy more barrels.

I'm using a Bergara BXR for positional training. It's cheap, accurate, and fun. Building another rifle just for training purposes would be a huge waste. I'd rather just buy more barrels.
Let's say that all the races I did have been training, now I would like to change marches and believe in something else. I wanted to get an idea before choosing.

I already have a 457mdt in .22

Sounds like you are not in the USA? Go to the matches local to you, call the local gun smiths where ever you live. Find out what actions are easiest to get, and what actions are easiest to get barrels for where ever you live. For calibers, same exercise. Figure out what brass, bullets, powder, dies are available and go with that.