• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear The best muzzle brake for PRS? A comparison video now available

Checking it out now. You coming down for tomorrow’s match?

I don't know who you are. But yeah coming down for this weekend

Really good video. Could you post up the data in the video here?
In your opinion, which brake had the least blowback to the shooter while having the best reduction? Or should I say, which one is the happy medium, emphasis on not so obnoxious to the shooter?

Here is the summary table of content.
I try to stay away from giving a personnal opinion as much as possible, but green meaning "top brake" for each test, and red mean "red flag", I would say, depending on you shooting style, good options would be: ACE, Insite, Reddnobb new are the 3 best performers with a nice blast away, and if you just don't want the "APA" kind of blast angle, you can add to this list the Area419 and EC tuner.
If you want the must comfortable blast with still a decent recoil management : ACE, Insite, PVA Jet4

MB Total.jpg

Here are some pictures of the ReddNobb custom "new generation" The gunshmith making them have called it the 420 (4 ports, 20deg).
The one in the picture is a prototype, but the final version will be the same with a more modern front finish from what i've heard. So far he doesn't make huge batch, so it's kind of on reservation.

336023075_8808124062595557_7754997406710620076_n.jpg
331226208_1479505789519103_6510994869217190073_n.jpg
336234523_3703860763178520_8110017520042462050_n.jpg

I'm surprised the jet blast beat out the shockwave

which of those 2 would you recommend?

I'm surprised the jet blast beat out the shockwave

which of those 2 would you recommend?
I suggest you look into the part 2 of the video:

The shockwave did an awesome job on bigger calibers. Jetblast better on smaller one tho

Reactions: MLS2GO
No TMB?? That brake is pretty legit. Better than my fat bastards for sure
Yeah I've heard good things. Fat bastard is not the one to beat now tho, but still. I was trying to get a TMB for the first video but the company has decline sending one as they were late on their delivery for current order, and tried to get my hands on one for the second video but didn't work out in time.
Now the PRS season is in full rush so I don't really have time to make a third video as its quite a lot of time involving in thoses (about 40h of work editing and collecting all date for 1 video, and 2 to 3 days of testing itself). But I'm planning a follow up this winter after the season where I'll most likely have a TMB at that time.

Yeah I've heard good things. Fat bastard is not the one to beat now tho, but still. I was trying to get a TMB for the first video but the company has decline sending one as they were late on their delivery for current order, and tried to get my hands on one for the second video but didn't work out in time.
Now the PRS season is in full rush so I don't really have time to make a third video as its quite a lot of time involving in thoses (about 40h of work editing and collecting all date for 1 video, and 2 to 3 days of testing itself). But I'm planning a follow up this winter after the season where I'll most likely have a TMB at that time.
I would try the ATS tuner brake as well. I have a feeling it's going to be favorable in a couple areas to the ones tested. It can be had as both a tuner brake and stand alone.

I own and have run apa gen 2, gen3, helfire, sidewinder, helfire match, heathen, SRS, ACE and now the ATS brake. It has more recoil reduction than the apa but has less concusion and side blast than the ACE ( one of my favs). I like the fat bastard for 6.5cm and the ACE and ATS for 6mm stuff.

Last edited:
I would try the ATS tuner brake as well. I have a feeling it's going to be favorable in a couple areas to the ones tested. It can be had as both a tuner brake and stand alone.

I own and have run apa gen 2, gen3, helfire, sidewinder, helfire match, heathen, SRS, ACE and now the ATS brake. It has more recoil reduction than the apa but has less confusion and side blast than the ACE ( one of my favs). I like the fat bastard for 6.5cm and the ACE and ATS for 6mm stuff.
Less side blast than the ACE?

Maybe I'll try the ATS Brake/tuner combo. I did send a message to their FB site to see if they are running a sale this holiday season.
They are a one man show and it's a side business for Aaron Hipp.

Can you measure the jam nut diameter on each of these and let us know? I don’t know why this isn’t a more commonly released detail.

They are a one man show and it's a side business for Aaron Hipp.

Sure. I have talked with an individual who spent a lot of money on the some of the TMB products and he is seems frustrated with them (TMB) and he is changing back to Ace Brakes. I think I'd rather support the side business of a company that will come through for their customers. I guess we will see what I can snag on the MDT site later today and then think about it.

I own and have run apa gen 2, gen3, helfire, sidewinder, helfire match, heathen, SRS, ACE and now the ATS brake. It has more recoil reduction than the apa but has less concusion and side blast than the ACE ( one of my favs). I like the fat bastard for 6.5cm and the ACE and ATS for 6mm stuff.
So on the ATS, do you think the tuner is assisting with the muzzle rise difference or is it the brake itself? I saw in a different thread that you were not having as much rise reduction as Aaron was so I'd be curious if you changed your load out at all to try something different

It had to do with the way i was holding the rifle. Now that is fixed on barricades its holding well. Tuner is really just a tuner, brake is a brake. If you like both, rock both.

Reactions: BuzzDaClown
So on the ATS, do you think the tuner is assisting with the muzzle rise difference or is it the brake itself?

As DBD said the tuner tunes and the brake reduces recoil. Been using the ATS tuner for a few years with the PVA Jet4 brake, which looks similar the tuner/brake combo set up although the below pic was the original untapered tuner. The tuner works great. I use it especially with factory ammo. The Jet4 works really well at recoil also.

IMG_0747.jpg

Reactions: BuzzDaClown
As DBD said the tuner tunes and the brake reduces recoil. Been using the ATS tuner for a few years with the PVA Jet4 brake, which looks similar the tuner/brake combo set up although the below pic was the original untapered tuner. The tuner works great. I use it especially with factory ammo. The Jet4 works really well at recoil also.

View attachment 8280294
Awesome. I decided to order an ATS Tuner Brake combo today to test in next to an EC Tuner Gen 1.

Hey,
Havent been in the Hide for a while, sorry!
We are preparing a third video... yeah I know a new one. The ATS will be in, also the Hypertap and 2 other not known in America, coming from Europe and claiming to be top of the top. Gonna be interesting!

As more and more brake are adding to the line, I am thinking of making 1 video per brake instead of wraping all the results together. A quick 5min video, comparing to a standard "best result" but after the raw data being abble to talk about the brake itself, thing that I skip now due to the lenght of the video being already 20min. Any input on this idea ?

Hey,
We are preparing a third video... yeah I know a new one. The ATS will be in, also the Hypertap and 2 other not known in America, coming from Europe and claiming to be top of the top. Gonna be interesting!

As more and more brake are adding to the line, I am thinking of making 1 video per brake instead of wraping all the results together. A quick 5min video, comparing to a standard "best result" but after the raw data being abble to talk about the brake itself, thing that I skip now due to the lenght of the video being already 20min. Any input on this idea ?
Its one way to do it. The side by side video comparisons are nice however for shooting content. Good luck on the production

Hey,

Shooting frontline in Feb?

Its one way to do it. The side by side video comparisons are nice however for shooting content. Good luck on the production
Yeah I'll keep the overall analysis and side to side comparison on a global video, but what thinking of a more MB in dept too, one by one as there is so many more to say about each brake, I feel like I'm cutting corner doing only a global analysis of the result (but it's still what people probably care about). Not sure it's worth the effort so, seeking for opinion here.

Yeah I'll keep the overall analysis and side to side comparison on a global video, but what thinking of a more MB in dept too, one by one as there is so many more to say about each brake, I feel like I'm cutting corner doing only a global analysis of the result (but it's still what people probably care about). Not sure it's worth the effort so, seeking for opinion here.
Sure. That makes sense. It gives each brake its own day to be a star. It may also help if you highlight other surprising findings for that one brake or show off the benefits/best features of that one brake.

Reactions: sab567
Hey,

Looking forward to see how the Hyper tap does. Hopefully you got the larger diameter version. That brake straightened out an accuracy issue I was having with a different brake.

Looking forward to see how the Hyper tap does. Hopefully you got the larger diameter version. That brake straightened out an accuracy issue I was having with a different brake.
I got what they sent me, I feel like they aren't that large compare to my others. I also know they are working on something leaning more on the competition side. We will see how it performs

Reactions: Thebiglebowski
Photo for ref. Both are 6.5 cal. Small is .860” large is 1.040”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 154
@sab567 One of the spreadsheets above has a column labeled "MS before stop". Is that milliseconds before the reticle stops moving? If so, I think that's a cool way to think of what makes a muzzle brake good for PRS.

Really, this is all about TIME and how quickly you are able to regain your downrange vision and see what the bullet does. Lots of things affect that duration... the push on the shooter from pure recoil, the time it takes to re-orient yourself to the new position of the target in the reticle after it jumps up or down, the time it takes for your brain to unscramble and your eyes to finish blinking from concussive recoil blast, but I think most important is how quickly the gun and reticle stops moving so that you can start seeing clearly.

It's cool to have metrics for each of these since what is best for one person might not be best for another (ie concussion vs recoil push). At the end of the day though, we're all just trying to buy time.

Hi Sheldon, you're the first one to notice this part, that is not refered in my 2 vidéos. It is exacly what you mention, sadly everything from the reticle POV is obtained thrue the triggercam wich doesnt have enought FPS capacity to make a real difference. I tried, but every MB were all within 1 or 2 frame (in fram by fram view) of reticle movement and really hard to tell if the difference was on my reading or not.

My sad conclusion is that this movement is so fast and quick, yeah it will I am sure, that my equipment limitation cannot do the analysis.

Photo for ref. Both are 6.5 cal. Small is .860” large is 1.040”
Yeah they sent me the big one. 1 with all holes drilles one all top port closed. Will be interesting to see the difference.

Great videos, I watched them earlier before finding this thread. Thank you for spending the time and energy to test. Did you happen to test larger caliber brakes(.30cal) on smaller caliber projectiles(6mm)? Also, I’m sure there a million brakes people ask you to include, but have you tried out the Hypertap? I’d be willing to lend mine to include.

EDIT: Just finished reading comments about the hypertap. Thanks.

Great videos, I watched them earlier before finding this thread. Thank you for spending the time and energy to test. Did you happen to test larger caliber brakes(.30cal) on smaller caliber projectiles(6mm)? Also, I’m sure there a million brakes people ask you to include, but have you tried out the Hypertap? I’d be willing to lend mine to include.

EDIT: Just finished reading comments about the hypertap. Thanks.
Yeah Ive tried 6.5 and 30cal brake on 6 and 223, the diffèrence is so small, my scale is not big enough to see it without shooting at least 5 rounds with each, and even the average difference is so small, its not gonna be a huge factor.

Yeah for the hypertap, will be part of the video I plan to film by the end of this month. We will have 2 brakes from European companies also, wich we dont see often here, so even more interesting to see how they compare.