• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing The Big American Hunt

CF_Smith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2013
East Coast, Canada
Hello,

My friend and I are interested in going on a hunt in the states. We would be entering the states via Maine, and we would like the destination to be no more then a 1-2 days driving from there (We only have a week to do the hunt) our dates are March 3-7th 2014(with corresponding weekends). We are interested in something that we cannot find in Canada, perhaps some boar or a grizzly bear or something along those lines (big game). We just don't know what or where we can hunt as Canadians. We would also like to know if there would be a local taxidermist and butcher's who could dress it up.

I'm wondering if anyone can help us out! I'm willing to do the same for Canada if some hide Members are curious.

Cheers,

James

You might be able to find some conservation hunts for waterfowl. Other than that, there are not many seasons open in march. If you want a grizzly bear you will need to head to Alaska as the population in the lower 48 is protected as an endangered species. You might be able to find some pigs, but the big populations tend to be much further south. There may be some exotic (non native species) hunts to be had but I will leave if to you to do some research there.

March is typically "spring break" time in the states and skiing is still a viable option many places then. I would set my sights on "snow bunnies" and call it good. You will be SOL on any other native medium/big game...

Thanks for the prompt reply! I appreciate the info! I'll do some more research this summer then, I'm assuming that more seasons will be open in the fall.

Cheers,

James

Fall will be your best bet for catching stuff in season. Many States are draw hunts for big game so plan ahead and get put in for them ahead of time. As for hogs many of the States that have them in numbers are over the counter licenses but a bit more of a drive than you said you wanted to do.

Fall will be your best bet for catching stuff in season. Many States are draw hunts for big game so plan ahead and get put in for them ahead of time. As for hogs many of the States that have them in numbers are over the counter licenses but a bit more of a drive than you said you wanted to do.

How far from Maine , in days, would it be (roughly) for hog?

Normally when you think of hog hunting you think Florida, Texas, and more of the southern states. I have never hunted in Pensivanya but I believe they have hogs. At least there are hunting lodges that have them anyway. There may be stuff closer to Maine, especially if your looking for some type of hunting lodge or something. A quick Google search would be all that is needed. Heck there may even be some in Maine for All I know.

I could help with Feral hogs but I'm from Oklahoma (far from Maine). Also Turkey season is April 6th to May 6th.

That time of the year you could head to the Outer Banks of NC (Hatteras) and charter a fishing trip to the gulf stream. Tuna are probably running pretty good around then. Hatteras is nice because it sits so far out in the ocean and you don't have to run too far to get to blue water plus your burning less fuel/$. NC has some of the best inshore/offshore fishing in the country. Eastern NC black bear hunting is pretty big. I haven't ever done it because most of the bear are east of us. Guys from all over the country come here every year chasing them. Hyde County is where I would start my search. Down here the bears don't hibernate since it doesn't get that cold with little snow, so they eat year round and get huge (700+ lbs). The duck hunting around there is pretty damn good too.

Thanks for all of the advice! I was hoping it may be more convenient for me to hunt in the states, but it's clearly going to have to be a down the road adventure, I will most likely start out with western Canada, and work my way to the states, and if it is something I truly enjoy I think I may even go to Africa. My goal is to mount one trophy from every species I hunt, and hang them in my house.

Cheers,

James

we have hogs in WV but if you want a better chance at tagging one I would look South Carolina and further south. that's a days drive from maine if you stay on the road all day lol. there are a few places in SC that offer 3 day hunts with butcher services.

we have hogs in WV but if you want a better chance at tagging one I would look South Carolina and further south. that's a days drive from maine if you stay on the road all day lol. there are a few places in SC that offer 3 day hunts with butcher services.

SoCal could be an option as I have a family member in that area. Would these services provide mounting services also?

You should be able to tag a few in South Carolina. Lots of them here. I just drove back from Erie, Pa today. I would say it could be a 1 day drive from Maine.