• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The Brown Truck came today!

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Hey guys,

I was very excited today when I stepped outside, and my wife goes "hey, you got a package today." Looked down on the doormat to see the box which I knew what was inside.

I ordered a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 side focus matte mil dot from ManVenture Outposts. I know it isn't a top-of-line optic, but for less than $255 shipped brand new I feel it is a good choice for my first "real" precision rifle. I took it out of the box and scanned the neighborhood and I was very pleased with quality for price. For a country boy who grew up shooting with Tasco scopes - it's great! However, I will say that all the rest of my optics are leupold and one burris.

So here is where I sit.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308
Nikon BuckMaster 4.5x14x40 sfmttmildot

Need to buy:

EGW base - I'm probably going to go with a 0 MOA if I can get to 1K with it - most of my shooting will be 500 and under with the occasional 1K

Rings - What do ya'll say? I want steel - Low, Medium? Brand?

I'm doing this all on a budget. I've been reading and researching on here alot - and I appreciate all that I have found so far.

Long post I know - but you know how it is when you're excited. Plus, being on Percocet right now... I'm feeling fine!

Thanks!

Re: The Brown Truck came today!

You might try a set of TPS or Burris XTR rings. I would go with lows on the EGW. Food for thought. I believe the egw rails is aluminum. With that being said I would probably get the TPS aluminum low rings although TPS is available in aluminum or steel. Either are great for the price.

rookie 7, I don't mean to hijack your thread but was curious what your initial thought is on your recent purchase of the Nikon BuckMaster 4.5x14x40?

I work at TPS as a machinist, but have almost no knowledge as of firerms and optics except what I have learned this past few months working for TPS. Everything they have around here cost more than more than my entire months's wages, and I'm cheap
grin.gif
. Was wanting to get something to start with with the hope everyone stops picking on me.

Wanted something dependable and quality but not costing me my arm, leg and possibly a wife.
wink.gif

Thanks,

Goose - so who makes a steel base that is affordable - or more accurately in the price range I'm looking? i.e. around $75 or less? I would like steel base and rings.

Machinist - For the money I don't think you could do much better for a variable optic. The reason why I didn't buy a bushnell is b/c the nikon has a lifetime warranty. I have always been a Leupold fan, but reading alot of what the guys say on here a big part of the part of the price with Leupold is the name. So I thought I'd try the Nikon.

As with most gear there are probably alot of quality choices in optics in the $300 price range. No - they don't compare to the higher end ones, but for the price they are quality. And for a recreational shooter like me they do the job nicely.

I'm sure many of the more experienced shooters with the $12K setups would agree with me - they don't compare with a $1K or $3K optic, but for an entry level and the price they're great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheMachinist</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rookie 7, I don't mean to hijack your thread but was curious what your initial thought is on your recent purchase of the Nikon BuckMaster 4.5x14x40?

I work at TPS as a machinist, but have almost no knowledge as of firerms and optics except what I have learned this past few months working for TPS. Everything they have around here cost more than more than my entire months's wages, and I'm cheap
grin.gif
. Was wanting to get something to start with with the hope everyone stops picking on me.

Wanted something dependable and quality but not costing me my arm, leg and possibly a wife.
wink.gif

Thanks, </div></div>

You wanna stay married ?? Avoid getting involved in the Long Range rifle thing altogether .

You want a good solid scope that will get you through a year or two of begging with the wife ? look at the SWFA Super Sniper . More than a few of us cut our teeth on them and they still don't suck .

I have read alot of good things about the SS, and it was recommended to me. The only reason why I didn't go that route was b/c I wanted a variable scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Need to buy:

EGW base - I'm probably going to go with a 0 MOA if I can get to 1K with it - most of my shooting will be 500 and under with the occasional 1K

Rings - What do ya'll say? I want steel - Low, Medium? Brand?

I'm doing this all on a budget. I've been reading and researching on here alot - and I appreciate all that I have found so far.

</div></div>

It will be very hard for you to reach 1000y with the buckmaster 4.5-14x40 sf with a 0MOA mount. The Scope only has 50MOA total adjustment. If you mount a 0MOA you will only get to use approximately 25MOA of adjustment which is not enough to get to 1000 on a 308. Assuming 29.53hg 59 Degrees F sight height 1.5inch shooting hornady 168 amax (BC .475) at 2700fps you still need 37.2 MOA to get to 1000y. 24.9 MOA will get you to 800y. You will need a 20MOA or a 25MOA base. I have badger rings and they are very good. I have heard good things about seekins also. Alot of people like EGW bases and I used to have one but I had TMS rings that just ate up that aluminum base. I now use a Ken Ferrell base with Badger rings (much better combo). If you get an angled base you will want LOW rings of any manufacturer since the nikon is pretty low profile (I know I used to have one). You will like your nikon for its image quality and clarity. I just did not like the lack of adjustment range. Good luck with your build! And have fun with it.

I'm almost in the same boat as you rookie. I think I'm going to pick up a EGW base and Burris XTR rings in low for my SPS Tac. .308. As for the scope I think I may take the advice of another user and try a scope from Wonder Optics.

If you are wanting a affordable steel base look at the ken ferrel bases they are steel and less than 85 bucks. im using a ken ferrel 20moa and burris xtr low rings on a sps tactical .308 with falcon optics and its seems to be a great set up for the money.

Thanks for the info on the Super Sniper scope. We have a few hanging around in the inspection department, just didn't know where they came from. I looked on their website and price is in my budget for sure.

The rings and rails are not a concern, I get them for a nice discount. ;), even put my intials on a couple, if no one is looking
grin.gif

For the wife, I think I can squeeze a couple bucks out just to call it education and training for my new job, that will hold me for a couple months before she catches on, worked for race cars before.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joshua Andrew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm almost in the same boat as you rookie. I think I'm going to pick up a EGW base and Burris XTR rings in low for my SPS Tac. .308. As for the scope I think I may take the advice of another user and try a scope from Wonder Optics. </div></div>

I'd go Falcon before WO, but I'd go Super Sniper before either.

I think warne makes a pic rail for about 75 bucks...I havent used them so I cant comment on the quality. If you watch the classifieds you can probably pic up a good used bigger name one for around 75 as well.

As to using the TPS steel rings on the EGW base...I have used the TPS aluminum rings on the aluminum EGW rail with great results. I was wanting a pic rail but wanting to cut weight and found a good reliable set up to hunt with.