• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing The California Dilemma

Jack.arnoldjr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2019
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, I live in California, and as most of you probably know, this causes me to have to use lead free projectiles when hunting (unless using an air rifle).

This usually isn’t too big of an issue because usually you can just go down in bullet weight and find something to stabilize in the twist rate of your rifle. However, the problem really begins with the 22LR. The only lead free ammo I am aware is produced by CCI and it is HORRIBLE!!!!! Shooting bagged and from the bench, it shot ok at 15 yards out of my 10/22, but then it started to go down hill quick and was soon more than 3.5 inches at 50. I know a lot of people will automatically assume it is me, but I am very confident in my abilities, so we can just skip those comments.

Typically, I use this round for small game and for helping manage coyote problems at my in-laws’ vineyard because it is quiet enough not to disturb the neighbors. However, I don’t feel comfortable using it for coyotes at sub 100 yard ranges if that is the accuracy I can expect.

As a result, I’ve been debating what I should do to address this. So far, I’ve considered purchasing a 22 hornet, but the twist rates are quite slow for the lead free bullets and accuracy reports have been mixed. I’ve also considered the 17wsm, but I’m not a huge 17 fan and would prefer to be able to reload for whatever I buy. This brings me to my next set of options purchasing a 1:8 or 1:9 twist 223, 1:9 twist 22-250, or a 1:7.5 twist 6mm creedmoor and creating reduced loads using light bullets such as Nosler’s Ballistic Tip Lead Free Varmint bullets. I am limiting to these options because I do not want to spend the money purchasing or building a custom rifle for this purpose. Ballistically, the 6mm creedmoor should produce the most stable bullet, but there is not a lot of data on reduced loads for it like there are with the 223 or 22-250. It also has a larger case capacity, meaning I might have to gear creative with some type of filler. Do you have any additional recommendations for me to consider?

My biggest concerns are accuracy, noise (no suppressors in California), and over penetration. This is why I am focused on these varmint type of rifles because I want the bullets to fragment on impact and pose less of a risk to carry off into a random direction after hitting bone (95% headshots).

I’ve even considered going the PCP route, but by the timeI purchased the gun, tanks, and all that gear, I would be in it more than a custom rifle.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Soooo, crazy question. What about a 22lr conversion of an AR15? You can still build up a "featureless rifle" in CA, right? They tend to have fast twist barrels that might be better to stabilize the lead free projectiles. Alternatively, you might look into getting a custom barrel for your 10/22. Cutting Edge announced ELR 22lr projectiles at SHOT that will require fast twist barrels to stabilize. And, while I cannot remember the manufacturer, I recently read about one person that had a pretty fast twist barrel for his 22lr.

Being a courteous neighbor is a lot easier with a suppressor, though I understand that those are not legal in CA. Personally if it were me, on private property, outside of a firearms ordinance, I'd take whatever rifle I thought best for the task. Then again, suppressors and lead projectiles are both legal in TX.

And, I'd want more than a 22lr for coyotes at any distances further than "halitosis range..."

Soooo, crazy question. What about a 22lr conversion of an AR15? You can still build up a "featureless rifle" in CA, right? They tend to have fast twist barrels that might be better to stabilize the lead free projectiles. Alternatively, you might look into getting a custom barrel for your 10/22. Cutting Edge announced ELR 22lr projectiles at SHOT that will require fast twist barrels to stabilize. And, while I cannot remember the manufacturer, I recently read about one person that had a pretty fast twist barrel for his 22lr.

Being a courteous neighbor is a lot easier with a suppressor, though I understand that those are not legal in CA. Personally if it were me, on private property, outside of a firearms ordinance, I'd take whatever rifle I thought best for the task. Then again, suppressors and lead projectiles are both legal in TX.

And, I'd want more than a 22lr for coyotes at any distances further than "halitosis range..."
Your last statement is precisely why I wasn’t considering a 10/22 barrel change. I also didn’t think the ELR bullets were lead free.

I also didn’t think the ELR bullets were lead free.

Lehigh defense makes a solid copper 22lr bullet (perhaps not yet ready for prime time). And, from what I have read Cutting Edge's bullet is also solid copper. One reference...

Theres not really a quiet solution for us in CA unless you want to get a crossbow.

Ruger makes a RPR in some of these. I was looking at them once for a kids rifle.

• .22 LR, High Velocity, 40-grain bullet: 1,250 fps, 139 ft-lbs muzzle energy
  • .22 WMR, 40-grain JHP, 1,910 fps, 324 ft-lbs ME
  • .17 HMR, 17-grain V-MAX, 2,550 fps, 245 ft-lbs ME
  • .17 WSM, 20-grain, 3,000 fps, 400 ft-lbs ME

Last edited:
Theres not really a quiet solution for us in CA unless you want to get a crossbow.

Ruger makes a RPR in some of these. I was looking at them once for a kids rifle.

• .22 LR, High Velocity, 40-grain bullet: 1,250 fps, 139 ft-lbs muzzle energy
  • .22 WMR, 40-grain JHP, 1,910 fps, 324 ft-lbs ME
  • .17 HMR, 17-grain V-MAX, 2,550 fps, 245 ft-lbs ME
  • .17 WSM, 20-grain, 3,000 fps, 400 ft-lbs ME

Hahaha! The crossbow option crossed my mind as well. But I don’t have to be silent, I just want to be respectful and not call too much attention to myself. 22 hornet noise levels are ok.

Lehigh defense makes a solid copper 22lr bullet (perhaps not yet ready for prime time). And, from what I have read Cutting Edge's bullet is also solid copper. One reference...

That is very interesting, and maybe it will bring the old 10/22 back into the picture once these are released for mass consumption. However, I think I still want something with a little more energy to ensure clean kills on the coyotes. I was thinking something between 2000-3000 FPS. I realize this is not subsonic, and there will be a crack, but with the right powder selection, the noise could be reduced significantly from a full load.