• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Clone Wars... XM3 EFR Mount stuff

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    I was approached about this XM3 stuff by an old friend who used to manage the Remington Custom Shop down the street from us. He brought me one of his personal EFR mounts to look at and possibly reproduce. If I understood him correctly, the story goes that Iron Brigade was originally tasked with much of this stuff. They subcontracted to a shop called Colorado Micro Precision to make the mounts. That business is no longer around, and the part basically died there. I've been told somewhere around 50-55 of these things were made so it's a pretty rare part.

Until now.

The photos show the artifact piece and my SW assembly model. My understanding is there are two versions of this mount. The difference is how the lugs were spaced on the STENAG rail. The one I have modeled is the "original" design. The original looks to be finished by AO (aluminum Oxide) blast finishing followed by Type III black ano. That is no problem for us.

If folks are interested, we'll do a run of these things. I've seen Gunbroker auctions where this part and a scope rail have sold for as much as $750.00. (shown here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/978812555)

$350.00 is where we'll start. If we get a pile of folks on board, I'll review this, and mold this into something like a group buy. If it goes that far, I'll move the offer to the GB section.

352402921_587950893465853_1932183236976498911_n.jpg

355851755_587950926799183_8522232731238525972_n.jpg

355710942_587951033465839_4329191976712569612_n.jpg

355688740_587951086799167_1277963803099082635_n.jpg

This is fantastic news. I just received a new A3 stock from McMillan. I had a Badger EFR installed in it by McMillan. They told me that Badger Ordnance will not longer be providing their famous EFR mount because they need to shift production over to other, more important operations. McMillan said I got one of the last EFR's that Badger will produce.

I want to place a 2nd order for another A3 set up the exact same way. I was bummed to learn about this as I don't like any other EFR's out there (that I've seen). This is really cool news! It looks really similar.

However - @LongRifles Inc. will you consider adding a side rail provision just like the badger EFR has? This model does not appear to have anything for side rails... (Not because I need them, only because they look cool!!!) There, I said it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230609_180459.jpg
      20230609_180459.jpg
      559.7 KB · Views: 265
    • 20230609_180958.jpg
      20230609_180958.jpg
      432.7 KB · Views: 259
    • 20230609_180444.jpg
      20230609_180444.jpg
      428 KB · Views: 247
    This is fantastic news. I just received a new A3 stock from McMillan. I had a Badger EFR installed in it by McMillan. They told me that Badger Ordnance will not longer be providing their famous EFR mount because they need to shift production over to other, more important operations. McMillan said I got one of the last EFR's that Badger will produce.

I want to place a 2nd order for another A3 set up the exact same way. I was bummed to learn about this as I don't like any other EFR's out there (that I've seen). This is really cool news! It looks really similar.

However - @LongRifles Inc. will you consider adding a side rail provision just like the badger EFR has? This model does not appear to have anything for side rails... (Not because I need them, only because they look cool!!!) There, I said it.

Thanks!

That would be easy enough to do, but not on this piece, as it's meant for folks building "period correct" clone guns. I'm surprised to hear that Badger has discontinued this. It's manufactured next door to me. Life goes on I guess.

That would be easy enough to do, but not on this piece, as it's meant for folks building "period correct" clone guns. I'm surprised to hear that Badger has discontinued this. It's manufactured next door to me. Life goes on I guess.
    That's what the rep at McMillan told me last week - I hope it's inaccurate!

If you ever do a side rail version (like a Badger EFR), put me on the list!

Reactions: LRI
    That's what the rep at McMillan told me last week - I hope it's inaccurate!

If you ever do a side rail version (like a Badger EFR), put me on the list!

Not what your after, but I've made these for a few years now.

I was approached about this XM3 stuff by an old friend who used to manage the Remington Custom Shop down the street from us. He brought me one of his personal EFR mounts to look at and possibly reproduce. If I understood him correctly, the story goes that Iron Brigade was originally tasked with much of this stuff. They subcontracted to a shop called Colorado Micro Precision to make the mounts. That business is no longer around, and the part basically died there. I've been told somewhere around 50-55 of these things were made so it's a pretty rare part.

Until now.

The photos show the artifact piece and my SW assembly model. My understanding is there are two versions of this mount. The difference is how the lugs were spaced on the STENAG rail. The one I have modeled is the "original" design. The original looks to be finished by AO (aluminum Oxide) blast finishing followed by Type III black ano. That is no problem for us.

If folks are interested, we'll do a run of these things. I've seen Gunbroker auctions where this part and a scope rail have sold for as much as $750.00. (shown here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/978812555)

$350.00 is where we'll start. If we get a pile of folks on board, I'll review this, and mold this into something like a group buy. If it goes that far, I'll move the offer to the GB section.

352402921_587950893465853_1932183236976498911_n.jpg

355851755_587950926799183_8522232731238525972_n.jpg

355710942_587951033465839_4329191976712569612_n.jpg

355688740_587951086799167_1277963803099082635_n.jpg
    I am in!!!!!!!Charlie112

Please keep me posted I’m in as well. Will finally be able to complete my xm3

Wrapping up for the day. Op1 on all the top pieces are done, Op2 for the bases is programmed, and I'm starting on the programming for Op2 of the tops.

What's left:

• Program and run Op2 of the bases
    • Program and run Op3 of the two pieces assembled. Basically, I'll screw them together, drill, and ID bore the hole for the barrel as an assembly. That'll eliminate any offset or weird stuff.
    I start my day around 4:30 each morning so we'll hit it again then.

Have a good Friday gents.

A little update:

As with many projects, I'll start the programming ritual with the mindset of "It's a small batch; keep it simple." Then I faceplant the brick wall and remind myself of the resources available on my machines. -Hit the reset button and put the shop resources to work. (dummy)

That was my Saturday. I had the top plate on the 5 axis just because its become a go to of mine for conveinience. (This is not a 5x part.) It's just as easy to do this on our big 4x machine. Plus I can gang up parts and make the top/bottom pieces in a single run. Being able to consolidate stuff and get a complete part at the end of the cycle is power. So, my Saturday morning was consumed by computer work and a little setup.

A few little things to finish up this am and were ready to make chips again.

1687780615898.png

A little update:

As with many projects, I'll start the programming ritual with the mindset of "It's a small batch; keep it simple." Then I faceplant the brick wall and remind myself of the resources available on my machines. -Hit the reset button and put the shop resources to work. (dummy)

That was my Saturday. I had the top plate on the 5 axis just because its become a go to of mine for conveinience. (This is not a 5x part.) It's just as easy to do this on our big 4x machine. Plus I can gang up parts and make the top/bottom pieces in a single run. Being able to consolidate stuff and get a complete part at the end of the cycle is power. So, my Saturday morning was consumed by computer work and a little setup.

A few little things to finish up this am and were ready to make chips again.

View attachment 8170474
    If badger is stepping off the EFR, this might be worth it aside from satisfying the few dozen of us who clone.

On a side note, the bore of these needed a modified barrel contour a bit less than a mtu. If this was ever to be a regular offering might be worth seeing if you could somehow open up the bore without making paper thin walls. But I'm not sure how many people who NEED rail for a clip on will be healing mtu sized contours so might be a non issue.

Base and top piece. It works, but I'm not happy with the finish. A wee bit crunchy as it bored the opening. These are not a hole. It's an oval. That rules out a single point boring head. Instead i either get a very long/large tool and contour or I ramp a contour like a spiral staircase. That's my preferred route as throwing a 1" dia EM that has 4" of cutting length is going to have its own set of complications.

Sorting that out now...

Attachments

• 1687794085837306054859267870799.jpg
      1687794085837306054859267870799.jpg
      438 KB · Views: 108
    I don't care if it's not gun related, we need a post when that happens now 🤣

You also gave me a great idea with that dildo on a power cord.... my brother in law is going to get quite the surprise.

Chad will you need the barreled action to fit it? I’m gonna send my McMillan in as soon as their available to get fitted as this is the last piece of the puzzle for the XM3

Chad will you need the barreled action to fit it? I’m gonna send my McMillan in as soon as their available to get fitted as this is the last piece of the puzzle for the XM3

It's always best to have it, but it's not an absolute requirement. I much prefer to have all parts in hand for jobs like this because then I can check the box.

Barrels do not always point "straight," and stocks are not always inletted on center. "Un-gooing" big parts like this are a wholly mess to do and correct if something doesn't quite line up.

Last edited:
    I guess its time to explore other stuff for these things. My friend sent some photos of the ti base. Just from looking at it, its pretty simple, but there are some subtle differences not seen on other M40 clip slot type bases.

I could guess my way through it, but it'd be better if I had an artifact part to work off of.

So... if anyone has a legit titanium XM3 base that they could part with for a few days, I'd be grateful. I'd give you the first completed one off of my machines for your trouble. It'll be returned in short order. I just need it for numbers.

Lemme' know!

Thanks.

PS. The ti lugs are already in the works.

EFR mount now on the store.

Please note. The machine work is about done. I have 5 or so left to do. They will depart for anodizing next. Those folks usually only take a few days. It has been as long as 14 days, though. Please be mindful of that if you elect to order right away.

Here is the link:

What are the odds you ever make a 2 piece rem700 bolt? I've been avoiding PTG like the plague but they are the only game in town for that.

EFR mount now on the store.

Please note. The machine work is about done. I have 5 or so left to do. They will depart for anodizing next. Those folks usually only take a few days. It has been as long as 14 days, though. Please be mindful of that if you elect to order right away.

Here is the link:

Ordering

do a package deal of the rail, lug, and efr?

or is that too far in future and prices wont reflect a discount?

thanks!
    DT

It's in the works. The issue right now is just waiting for the artifact parts to show up. Once they get here, I'll start the ritual of the dissection and recreation.

Chad....... you have made us cloners very happy with these parts you are making! I've been collecting parts for my XM3 for about 5 years now. the Ti scope base and the NF scope are my missing links.

Goes without saying, we all greatly appreciate it!

P.S. All that "I Hope" shit we talked about back in the days at Dakota/Nesika........... I still mean it!!! and the Q-tip to the face! That is definitely unforgettable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):p:oops: Great time!!

Chad....... you have made us cloners very happy with these parts you are making! I've been collecting parts for my XM3 for about 5 years now. the Ti scope base and the NF scope are my missing links.

Goes without saying, we all greatly appreciate it!

P.S. All that "I Hope" shit we talked about back in the days at Dakota/Nesika........... I still mean it!!! and the Q-tip to the face! That is definitely unforgettable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):p:oops: Great time!!

I really need to work on my social circle.

Lol.