• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Colt Accurized Rifle

mcm308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2008
Bloomfield, NJ
About 15 years ago, I seen one in a gunshop. I swore I was going back to get it but I never did. It had a 24" stainless free float barrel and I think a 2 stage trigger. I am kind of thinkin I want one. Anyone have experience with them? How do they shoot? Not even sure if they pop up for sale and how valuable they are. What can anyone tell me about them? Thanks

I think I remember those way back when, 20+ years ago. The aluminum round FF tube? I think it was checkered? It was certainly nice than the stock blasters of the 20th century.

I don't put much stock in 'em. I think you can do much better --no, I KNOW you can do much better today.

I won't go into how I build 'em but if interested we can go that way. My advice is to build one and to start with a Krieger, Satern, etc., Lilja if you like button rifled. And I'm not so sure I'd do 24"... And if I really wanted it to be a tack driver, I'm not sure I'd be using 5.56 either, there are far better and I prefer 6.5G.

I know Colt ain't bedding these and doing all that shit, so I think "accurized" to them means "it's got a long FF barrel, 2 stage trigger". That 2 stage trigger is just like an RRA in case you've never tried one, nothing special, not as good as a Geissele, and the barrel IS the weapon as far as I'm concerned, so unless it comes with a cut rifled barrel that's got a long track record for producing sub MOA groups, not interested.

I also wanna say the barrels on those were 1.9 or maybe 1.8? 1.8 can be useful, 1.9 not so much. I also think most of 'em were heavy as fuck but I do recall some with thinner, fluted barrels. They were still sorta on the heavy end though.

Now if they have collector value and that's what you're after, I don't know. But I know you can dig these up on Gunbroker if you're patient. I'm sure there's a lot of safes with these just sitting nowadays.

I think I remember those way back when, 20+ years ago. The aluminum round FF tube? I think it was checkered? It was certainly nice than the stock blasters of the 20th century.

I don't put much stock in 'em. I think you can do much better --no, I KNOW you can do much better today.

I won't go into how I build 'em but if interested we can go that way. My advice is to build one and to start with a Krieger, Satern, etc., Lilja if you like button rifled. And I'm not so sure I'd do 24"... And if I really wanted it to be a tack driver, I'm not sure I'd be using 5.56 either, there are far better and I prefer 6.5G.

I know Colt ain't bedding these and doing all that shit, so I think "accurized" to them means "it's got a long FF barrel, 2 stage trigger". That 2 stage trigger is just like an RRA in case you've never tried one, nothing special, not as good as a Geissele, and the barrel IS the weapon as far as I'm concerned, so unless it comes with a cut rifled barrel that's got a long track record for producing sub MOA groups, not interested.

I also wanna say the barrels on those were 1.9 or maybe 1.8? 1.8 can be useful, 1.9 not so much. I also think most of 'em were heavy as fuck but I do recall some with thinner, fluted barrels. They were still sorta on the heavy end though.

Now if they have collector value and that's what you're after, I don't know. But I know you can dig these up on Gunbroker if you're patient. I'm sure there's a lot of safes with these just sitting nowadays.

Yep, about 20 years ago and round aluminum hand guard with 2 bi pod studs. And yea I know you can do better but I remember that particular rifle and thought Id ask.

Single stage trigger with a "lightened" or "bobbed" hammer and 1/9 .223 marked stainless barrel. Mine is all stock and so far shoots 3" 5 shot groups at 325yds with 10X MK4 with most reloads and most factory ammo. Even Tula/Wolf will normally shoot under 4" @ 325.

Reactions: mcm308
Single stage trigger with a "lightened" or "bobbed" hammer and 1/9 .223 marked stainless barrel. Mine is all stock and so far shoots 3" 5 shot groups at 325yds with 10X MK4 with most reloads and most factory ammo. Even Tula/Wolf will normally shoot under 4" @ 325.

Thats funny because thats the exact scope Id probably put on it if I got one!

I think this is a very similar current factory rifle; Stag 15 Varminter.

24" Stainless Bull Barrel, 2-Stage Trigger. Stag no longer offers the Accuracy Guarantee, but it was 1/2 MOA with factory Match ammunition. Mine managed that a few times.

I have the preceding version of this, the Model 6 Super Varminter; a pair of them, actually. My second one was built by me from the Stag factory Kit.

Imagine this rifle with a standard A2 stock.

Article on the CR6724.

Greg

Last edited:
I've got one. Had it since 98. Only rifle I have never traded or sold. Accuracy is outstanding and it has a Jewell Trigger. Killed many different animals with it and used it in competition and won several Precision matches. It is the 669th one made.

I had a Colt Hbar, once. Have no desire to ever own another Colt. Have no idea why they have such a fan boy cult following. You can buy better for less $$. Just my opinion, I’m sure the fan boys will tell you why they are so good.

I had a Colt Hbar, once. Have no desire to ever own another Colt. Have no idea why they have such a fan boy cult following. You can buy better for less $$. Just my opinion, I’m sure the fan boys will tell you why they are so good.

Maybe a reguler Hbar? What Hbar did you have? Asking for a friend......

It was the regular Hbar with a removable carry handle. It just wouldn’t shoot. I ran about 10 different bullets and loads through it. Handloads, factory loads, match loads for my bolt gun etc. Different shooters, it just didn’t matter, I could never get it to shoot better than around 4” at 100 yds. It’s ok though, I sold it during the last AR scare and made a shit ton of money.

It was the regular Hbar with a removable carry handle. It just wouldn’t shoot. I ran about 10 different bullets and loads through it. Handloads, factory loads, match loads for my bolt gun etc. Different shooters, it just didn’t matter, I could never get it to shoot better than around 4” at 100 yds. It’s ok though, I sold it during the last AR scare and made a shit ton of money.

Im sure you did but it has zero relevance to the rifle I asked about. Nothing gets me better then a guy commenting on something he has no clue about... now carry on and thanks for bumping the thread.

My revelance is, you can pay a lot for a Colt, and you may not get the quality that you want. Piss off.

You should've been a little more clear in your point. Its seems the generic models are priced the same as all the other junk out there. Your not finding the one with the 24" stainless barrel everyday.

My revelance is, you can pay a lot for a Colt, and you may not get the quality that you want. Piss off.

Your trying to compare the apple to the orange. Now if you want to talk about the 24" stainless barrel models of the era, lets talk. DPMS had one, I think RRA, Sabre Defense had a nice one.. If I recall, all shot fairly well...