• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Cone of Shame

ForgeValley

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2018
    WNC
    Lol, don't know how well it works, but love the advertising. I'll probably try it out because it gave me such a good laugh. :ROFLMAO:

Screenshot 2024-02-14 105757.png

So for $58.50 each + shipping you too can redirect the gasses from our original not so friendly design :ROFLMAO:

No shit, I couldnt stand the blast that was directed back to ME while using the Little Bastard. I took it off. Now there is a FIX for their poor design.

Well, I imagine that they didn’t call that series Bastards without reason.

I have tried lot of brakes, the fat bastard gen3 with all the ports pulled provides excellent rifle tracking and keeping things in the center of reticle as well or better than all I've tested. The blast at shooter, isn't much or any worse than others I've tested, I do wear in ear and over ear when shooting, in ear when observing. The blast on observers is def noticeable to be the worst, or up there, ESPECIALLY of shooting under roof.

You would THINK the gas coming out would push the cone rearward and/or at least negate the effects of the last port or two.
    But then I'm not trying to sell you anything.

Reactions: Yondering and JoeZ
    I’ve got a little bastard on a 6.5 Grendel AR. It does an amazing job of channeling the recoil away from my shoulder and into my face. The rifle barely moves, but an entire match of shooting makes me feel how I’d expect to feel after being the speed bag for an amateur boxer.

Someone can do the swing test on it, recoil with and without, as well as sound. Anybody here do things like that?

Reactions: BurtG
    It's limited edition. I want one! But I've replaced almost all of my APA brakes, so.....I guess there's no need. But I still want it!

I used to think that the APA brakes were bad for concussion until I started using a TMB. The excellent recoil reduction almost makes you forget about the concussive wave. Almost.

It's limited edition. I want one! But I've replaced almost all of my APA brakes, so.....I guess there's no need. But I still want it!

I used to think that the APA brakes were bad for concussion until I started using a TMB. The excellent recoil reduction almost makes you forget about the concussive wave. Almost.
    I have two of them and they are the most effective brake out there relative to muzzle jump. I have tried them all. The concussion is crazy. I wear inner and outer ear protection due to the noise it generates. However, I know that concussion can't be mitigated so God only knows what it is doing to my brain

I have had the MK on order since it was announced. Hopefully, it will be here at some point this year.

I have two of them and they are the most effective brake out there relative to muzzle jump. I have tried them all. The concussion is crazy. I wear inner and outer ear protection due to the noise it generates. However, I know that concussion can't be mitigated so God only knows what it is doing to my brain

I have had the MK on order since it was announced. Hopefully, it will be here at some point this year.
    Its like trying to keep your eyes open when you sneeze.

Whats the MK?

Its like trying to keep your eyes open when you sneeze.

Whats the MK?
    The Morgun King Version. It was announced last April and orders were taken in June 2023. They ran into a bunch of manufacturing issues and had to redesign it.

A lot of us are patiently waiting. Thew new version is supposed to be shown on their website tomorrow.

@sab567 needs to test one of these
    Yeah I have one, testing is already done with it, will be in the MB video.
    I already cruched the numbers for the Fat bastard with and without the cone of shame installed for both gas excit angle, sonometer and recoil reduction and on bearing bench. And confirmed my data direcly with APA, we got about the same result.

Yeah I have one, testing is already done with it, will be in the MB video.
    I already cruched the numbers for the Fat bastard with and without the cone of shame installed for both gas excit angle, sonometer and recoil reduction and on bearing bench. And confirmed my data direcly with APA, we got about the same result.
    Where do you post your videos?

Reactions: BurtG
    If I had the money I would design a muzzle brake guaranteed to blow so much gas into the shooters face that they would stop using it after three rounds…and people would still buy it.

-Stan

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: DJL2 and sab567
    Where do you post your videos?
    Youtube, Chanel is "Canadian Precision Shooting" there is both french and bad english content, be advertise.
    Vidéo of the results wont be ready until couple of weeks tho, there is about 60+ hours of footage to be analysis to get all the data.

But I can leak some results on the cone itselft if you dont tell anyone else.
    1- cone reduce by A LOT the blast to the shooter. Actually, it redirect all the flow from the first baffle to the front at about 45deg angle. Wich also catch the blast of the other 3 ports that wont go into the shooter s direction.
    2- you lose A LOT of the recoil reduction. On my bench it almost double (number to be officially confirmed later) the recoil observed when you add the cone.
    3- conclusion, the cone have been made for a really specific job, to reduce the concussion, where you will also lose the benefit of à high performance brake, making it an average performance brake. *i would say its usefull for hunting or people who dont want to buy a second unit but dont want the blast while shooting all day.
    4- yeah, it look as bad as what you can tell by the pictures.

I’ve got a little bastard on a 6.5 Grendel AR. It does an amazing job of channeling the recoil away from my shoulder and into my face. The rifle barely moves, but an entire match of shooting makes me feel how I’d expect to feel after being the speed bag for an amateur boxer.
    Why I hate breaks ^

I’d rather have more recoil than concussion.

Shooting a braked 50 will ring your bell

Need a mega cone of shame for this thing

23CC3372-B7F7-453C-A0C7-28907B6635FF.jpeg

Youtube, Chanel is "Canadian Precision Shooting" there is both french and bad english content, be advertise.
    Vidéo of the results wont be ready until couple of weeks tho, there is about 60+ hours of footage to be analysis to get all the data.

1- cone reduce by A LOT the blast to the shooter. Actually, it redirect all the flow from the first baffle to the front at about 45deg angle. Wich also catch the blast of the other 3 ports that wont go into the shooter s direction.
    2- you lose A LOT of the recoil reduction. On my bench it almost double (number to be officially confirmed later) the recoil observed when you add the cone.
    3- conclusion, the cone have been made for a really specific job, to reduce the concussion, where you will also lose the benefit of à high performance brake, making it an average performance brake. *i would say its usefull for hunting or people who dont want to buy a second unit but dont want the blast while shooting all day.

I wonder how a fender washer would compare to it performance wise.

Reactions: JoeZ
    Lol. Then you know there are unmistakeable advantages to a brake in the larger calibers that have nothing to do with poor fundamentals. On the contrary my fundamentals improved a lot when I started shooting the larger calibers. You can't hide poor fundamentals from a heavy recoiling 22lb rifle.

Some may use them as a crutch in the small calibers

Meh I use a can on the 300

Maybe I’m a puss but I can’t stand concussion

Oh and the npa fundamentals comment was just trolling the PRS jersey fags

Reactions: ForgeValley
    Why are some of you heathens not shooting suppressed?
    I found that a suppressor wasn’t worth the hassle at a match when everyone else at the match is shooting rifles with obnoxious brakes. The only time a suppressor is worth the length/weight penalty in this environment is if you are forced to shoot through a culvert…

Beyond that, however, suppressed is the way.

I think there are quite a few people that rationalize their suppressor fear with; the wait is too long, I don’t want to be on a list, too heavy, too complex, not paying a tax, etc.

Is it possible to test this thing in the absence of a brake? Can it be held in place with a thread cap? Does it reduce concussion on an otherwise bare muzzle? Does it increase recoil on an otherwise bare muzzle?

Reactions: MO Fugga and BurtG
    I found that a suppressor wasn’t worth the hassle at a match when everyone else at the match is shooting rifles with obnoxious brakes. The only time a suppressor is worth the length/weight penalty in this environment is if you are forced to shoot through a culvert…

Beyond that, however, suppressed is the way.

I think there are quite a few people that rationalize their suppressor fear with; the wait is too long, I don’t want to be on a list, too heavy, too complex, not paying a tax, etc.
    I agree, would love to see them off the nfa and more people using one.

Reactions: Nik H
    I agree, would love to see them off the nfa and more people using one.
    Got to agree.

Suppressors were a rare thing here (NZ, other than .22rf, and everybody used them) until maybe 25 years ago. Now, it's a rare rifle that doesn't have one. Less noise, less upsetting the neighbours, better for the dog, less felt recoil.... why wouldn't you?

Well, it started with a bit of a tongue in cheek post about the 'blast deflection' nut APA is selling, which apparently reduces the effectiveness of the brake for recoil reduction by about 1/2 but is nice for the she-men here that are concussion sensitive. Then @BurtG started an argument that people who use brakes have shitty fundamentals then we started arguing about poor heathen brake shooters vs master race suppressor shooters.

Tldr; honestly, I really don't know what the shit is going on in here. 🤣