• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The critters strike back.

It's like 200th attack this year and 4 sailboats successfully sunk.

White Gladys formed a gang

I seem to remember there was a whole series of Jaws Ripoff Orca movies in the 1970's... that mirrored this theme.

Here's an idea... stay on land! The minute you are in seawater above your waist, you go from the top of the food chain as apex predator... to the bottom. Ranked with plankton.

Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

I seem to remember there was a whole series of Jaws Ripoff Orca movies in the 1970's... that mirrored this theme.

Here's an idea... stay on land! The minute you are in seawater above your waist, you go from the top of the food chain as apex predator... to the bottom. Ranked with plankton.

Just 'sayin.

Sirhr

Ankles.

If you're waist deep, you're food.

We starting talking about killer whales the other day, and my friend was talking about how they communicate and exchanged hunting tactics from pod to pod.

I bet an orca ran into a sailboat keel, got a knock on the head, and got pissed the f off.

We starting talking about killer whales the other day, and my friend was talking about how they communicate and exchanged hunting tactics from pod to pod.

I bet an orca ran into a sailboat keel, got a knock on the head, and got pissed the f off.
Most likely ,and under full chat keels can do a lot of damage , there are cases with racing boats splitting whales and any other marine life that gets hit in half with their keels .

In the past when i used to build offshore racing sail boats with canting keels, they were all welded Hardox fins ,sharp and hard as fuck , and sailboats were quite capable of running 25+ Knots

not Even ankles……

I love watching those videos.

Ankle deep in salt water is safe in FL. No tuxedo fish in our area.

Fresh water is a different story.
Ain't none of it safe except for the extremely large natural springs like the Itchetucknee.

1699754090962.jpeg

Sometimes I think about wading out to the 3rd sandbar out a Padre Island.
I have done this quite a few times. While holding a rod and reel with a dead fish hanging off...
Standing on the 3rd bar, looking back at the beach and seeing something 5+ foot long swimming by...

• Love
Reactions: Maggot
I have done this quite a few times. While holding a rod and reel with a dead fish hanging off...
Standing on the 3rd bar, looking back at the beach and seeing something 5+ foot long swimming by...
I meant I've done it as well when I lived in Corpus. Spooky to see those shadows.

Wait, you mean “sail doesn’t take priority over supertanker?”

Sirhr
Ive seen it attempted with freighters. Its pretty funny watching the last few seconds when they scramble.

I used to race sailboats, i hated other blowboaters so much that i quit, even though i almost always took first place.

Oh, I left out the salt water crocks down in the Glades.
They aren't super big, but dey gots all dem toofasis.
Whenever you went gator hunting, did yall just shoot them in open water? Or catch them with bait first?
Caliber used?

I wanna do a gator hunt so bad man..

Whenever you went gator hunting, did yall just shoot them in open water? Or catch them with bait first?
Caliber used?

And one day someone will ask "What happened to Coyote, havent seen him posting in a while?" :ROFLMAO:

I've never been but I think I'd go with 00 buck.

Caliber used?

Baited on a line with the stick that turns sideways and catches the throat.

Pulled on land and shot with a 22 Mag Ruger 77/22.
It had a little laser set at 12' from the muzzle.

Lots of fun when they decide to stop pulling and advance on the guy with the gun.

This guy was 10' 4".
20210821_000448.jpg

Lots of fun when they decide to stop pulling and advance on the guy with the gun.

This guy was 10' 4".
View attachment 8270314
Really, just a .22 magnum? I reckon its shot placement. Base of skull?

@Maggot
Buckshot would be a very, very poor choice to shut down that big toothy lizard.

At the top of the skull just behind the eyes is a soft, flat spot. The tiny brain is directly under there.

A poor shot just pisses the gator off. Proper shot placement locks them up and shuts them off.

It's still very wise to tape the mouth and limbs.
We had two that decided they weren't out, they just needed time to wake back up.
It got exciting trying to hold them down for one of the guys to brain them with his knife.

Shot placement almost always trumps diameter, velocity and weight.

The exception is colony varmints. A 50gr high velocity bullet, pretty much grenades them, no matter where they are hit.

Anyone who has driven I-80 eastbound in the winter from Salt Lake can attest to how well a deer will grenade, when hit by a semi at 80+ MPH.

Shot placement almost always trumps diameter, velocity and weight.

The exception is colony varmints. A 50gr high velocity bullet, pretty much grenades them, no matter where they are hit.

Anyone who has driven I-80 eastbound in the winter from Salt Lake can attest to how well a deer will grenade, when hit by a semi at 80+ MPH.
Yep, I saw a large dog get hit like that. Poor guy jumped out of the back of a station wagon, you could see the terror in his eyes just before he got hit. Pink mist.

• Sad
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote

This guy was 10' 4".
View attachment 8270314
Fckn sweet! I gotta get down there..

In Africa, when crocodile hunting - they just shoot them broadside behind the shoulder and recommend .308, .270, etc... and don't even bother trying to use baited lines or anything like that from what Ive seen.. but that may have something to do with a lot of crocs being big enough that they're just as likely to pull you in as you are to pull them out, in a tug of war.

Agree. 10' would be a small croc and not worth bothering with.
A 15-16' croc would be very, very strong, and probably likely to attack once on land.

Agree. 10' would be a small croc and not worth bothering with.
A 15-16' croc would be very, very strong, and probably likely to attack once on land.
They should just call them dinosaurs and be done with it.

Seems like this the perfect excuse to carry a .50 of some flavour in your boat with you.

A friend of mine is a Weatherby nut, I think he has one of each including a 460.
From wikipedia:

The .460 Weatherby is one of the very few rifle cartridges approved by the International Whaling Commission for the harvesting of whales. The cartridge was deemed to have the penetration necessary to penetrate to the brain stem to provide a quick kill on whales. The Makah people of the Pacific Northwest have used this rifle cartridge for decades hunting whales.[30]

• Love
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
I was a young boy, about 7 years old in 1971. And our step-father, a second class boiler tech aboard the USS Ogden, took my younger brother and I on a chartered fishing boat out of Mission Bay in California.

We found a sweet spot for mackerel. You grab an anchovy out of the bait well and put it on the hook and drop and get a mackerel. I was on the port side near the bow. I felt the boat get an impact and shudder. And again. And again. So, I reeled in, set down my pole and walked over to the starboard side and looked aft.

Someone using steel deep sea line had snagged a baby killer whale that was thrashing against the boat. Ship's mate got out his pair of cable cutters and cut it loose. This was to also prevent mama killer whale from coming along and ruining the boat and us. That is the biggest fish story I have and it is all true.

A friend of mine is a Weatherby nut, I think he has one of each including a 460.
From wikipedia:

The .460 Weatherby is one of the very few rifle cartridges approved by the International Whaling Commission for the harvesting of whales. The cartridge was deemed to have the penetration necessary to penetrate to the brain stem to provide a quick kill on whales. The Makah people of the Pacific Northwest have used this rifle cartridge for decades hunting whales.[30]
Fake news……

• Haha
Reactions: Ronws