• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Dilemma!!

B&W21

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
United States
Ok, im just starting to get all the parts to my new rifle build together. And i originally had my eye on a Bartlein 22" 6r, 1-10 twist barrel. However my gunsmith says he has a Bartlein 29"(which he can trim down) 5r, 1-11.5 twist barrel. So here's the dilemma. Should i wait the extra time and get the 6r, 1-10 twist or just give the o.k. And use the 5r, 1-11.5 twist barrel?????

Please help me

Re: The Dilemma!!

I have never heard of a 6r barrel...if given a chance at a Bartlein 5R 1:11 and it is in stock and only has to be cut I would take it and I am more than sure you will never know the difference. A 1:11 and a 1:10 is just not that different and both can shoot 190's no problem.

Sounds like a good barrel to me.

Are you planning on shooting heavy .30 cals?

My opinion is that the really heavy .30 cals should be left for the .300 winmag, but if your shooting a .308win it should be ok with 180gr and a 1:11.5 twist

I would go with the one your smith has in stock. I agree with the earlier posting that the barrel your smith has in stock will stabilize your bullets just fine. The 5R and 6R refers to the number of grooves and rifling profile. Obermeyer started the 5R...5 grooves with a radius on the lands to reduce fouling, increase the bullet sealing in the gas, and perhaps increase velocity slightly because of the better seal of the bullet (a very minor amount). It isn't that other rifling profiles don't seal properly, it is the way that the radius helps the bullet seal the gas behind it.

Anyhow, I have never heard of a 6 groove, radiused land barrel, but that doesn't mean someone doesn't make them. Ya' just can't prove a negative.