• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing The Dog Before the Storm

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
I went out last week again in hopes of scoring that elusive bobcat. On the way in to making our first stand, my buddy stops me and says, "there's a coyote". I put down the bipod, and popped open the scope caps as he told me "300". I was immediately on target and put the second stadia of the VH reticle on his chest and squeezed one off. No, I'm lying now. I jerked this one and hit him poorly but a follow up ended it rather quickly. We didn't see anything else the rest of the hunt. Not a bad consolation prize for not seeing any cats. The fur was still quite nice, so he's skinned and dried. Enjoy, Eric

By the way, we shot to just over 1200 yards for fun. You can kind of see the arroyo in the second pic. The 87 vmax was VERY accurate at this distance. I might try some more long shots, but I'll need to get the Badger 22 MOA riser or something similar, as opposed to dialing and using reticle holdover.
IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

Re: The Dog Before the Storm

Sorry for the lack of info. AR10T .243 Win 43gr. H4350 and 210M ~ 3175 fps. 5800' ASL, temps in the 30's F . I was also using a G7 drag function from Bryan's book. About as close as you can get. Thanks for the saluatation, Chris. I have had the opportunity to get to know a few coyotes though.

Wow, beautiful country. Nice coyote too. We are thinking of moving to Colorade one of these days. We are always in the Colorado Springs area visiting friends.Is that near Peublo?

Yes, Pueblo county. "The Greenhorn" in the background in the second pic. The first, has Pikes Peak next to my head. It really is beautiful country. I'm REALLY lucky to have such great opportunities so close to home.

I thought that looked like the Peak. Colorado is full of beautiful country. One of these days.....

Were you hunting with big Steve?
I sure do like the area. A bunch of us were out there for a shoot and had a great time. Got to meet Steve's mom and she even made lunch for us.
We did have a coyote cross the ranch road on the way out one day but he didn't want to wait for us to get a shot.
cry.gif

Yep, Stevie Wonder, the one and only! He and his family are good people.

The ranches that we have access to around here are gold mines. Between the two of us and the people we collectively know, there are almost unlimited opportunities. We try not to pressure the areas too much and have been pretty successful because of it. The past few years I have been focused on big game hunting almost exclusively, and have forgotten how much fun doggin' really is.

Was a great hunt (and shoot Mike). Kinda' nice to break the ice right off the bat. Did some sewing on this bugger though. Not like the last one.

Good stuff, fellas!
FFL, can that AR-10 digest an 105AMAX at mag length? Or are your findings with the 87VMAX (out to 1200yds now...WOW!) such that you wouldn't consider it?
Just curious...

I haven't tried the AMAX 105. I have, however, tried the 105 Berger VLD. It is just BARELY too long for the mag. I can fit two in a mag and one in the camber though. It's good enough for hunting in my opinion. That combo right there is good to 1K I know for a fact. The AMAX tends to be a little longer than a same weight VLD due to the polymer tip. I'm sure you could have one custom made with the right dimensions for mag length seating.

The factory barrel on this is a 1 in 10 twist. I can get away with stability issues more than likely from the DA's from 3K' to over 10K' any time of the year.

The 87's are quite the bullet. They are every bit as good as the AMAX as far as consistency. I have an accurate rifle. It is however only as good as the components. I was astonished at how easy it was to shoot 1200 yards with the VMAX. The furthest shot I've taken with them was the 785 yard coyote last month. The .4 G1 bc is not that bad for this weight of bullet. Shooting them was a lot like shooting 155 class bullets in the .308 to 1K as far as wind drift goes.

Man, you always have all the fun! I'd love to get over that way and see some of that beautiful Colorado wilderness. Looks like you seem to know where alll the good spots are.

Going out again tomorrow. I'll let you all know how we do. I'm going to try and find that damned cat, but I'll take whatever comes my way!

thanks FFL & keep up the good work!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffl medic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Going out again tomorrow. I'll let you all know how we do. I'm going to try and find that damned cat, but I'll take whatever comes my way! </div></div>

that is what happened to me to ffl medic..

put up my pic in the predator pics post of mine.

Calling for cats and the coyotes come in. Call for coyotes and no cats come in... LOL
crazy.gif