• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The DOG needs knee surgery

SniperCJ

Sky God
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2001
Dallas,TX
Mercy, my pit, has been favoring her right leg for a while. Some days she seems fine, others she limps a bit.

Well, took her to the vet a few months ago, got her some meds and went on our merry way.

She gets worse a couple weeks ago, really favoring her leg and occasionally completely tripod-ing.

Take her in again, get an orthopedic consult and she has a torn ACL. Dayum DOG needs knee surgery!

She already HAD hip surgery a few years ago. Dog's gonna have more plates and screws than a hardware store!

photo.jpg

Re: The DOG needs knee surgery

Sounds like you're looking after her, rightly. Here's hoping that the costs aren't noticed too negatively.

Need to start drumming up more business for LineStretch!

I feel your frustration. Our chocolate lab had orthoscopic elbow surgery in March and then 2 months later the excited dumbass broke a toe on his right foot trying to jump the baby-gate into the kitchen...

Good luck with the surgery and recovery, she's a good lookin' dog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mercy, my pit, has been favoring her right leg for a while. Some days she seems fine, others she limps a bit.

Well, took her to the vet a few months ago, got her some meds and went on our merry way.

She gets worse a couple weeks ago, really favoring her leg and occasionally completely tripod-ing.

Take her in again, get an orthopedic consult and she has a torn ACL. Dayum DOG needs knee surgery!

She already HAD hip surgery a few years ago. Dog's gonna have more plates and screws than a hardware store!

photo.jpg
</div></div>

We had a Boxer tore his ACL running down the hall. I heard it POP, it made my heart sink. He had TPLO surgery and never looked back. The 6 weeks of taking him out to pee with a towel under his belly was a PITA, as well as keeping him penned up during the recovery. He died of mast cell cancer about 5 years later, but his knee never slowed him up. Get it fixed. Our Ortho sold us that 90% of people who don't get it fixed show up on his door with a dog with two torn ACL's and he can't fix that very well. Oh, the boxer also had hip displaysia (sp?) that he said that the dog had the worst hips he had ever seen. Asked if he could use the xrays in a presentation!

Good luck, she is a georgous dog!

Our dog has had both knees replaced... lucky we had CU in Fort Collins and they have an excellent Vet program, but he has his bionic legs now too. He is getting on and still with the replacements, walking is not great for him.

Still, it was worth it, he rocks,

My English Mastif had to have her ACL fixed about 4 years ago. The first vet said that it was her hips and they couldn't do anything about it. I went and saw another vet and he told me her one ACL was torn and the other one was partly torn. I had the one fixed. I had to build a ramp to get her in and out of the house but she wouldn't use it. I had to carry her back end up and down the stairs for a while. Weird thing is she wouldn't put any weight on it til after the stictches came out. Then only a few days after that she was walking good on it. She was a new dog after that surgery. It is worth having it done. Good luck with it.

The things we do for our dogs. My female German Shepherd had one of her canine teeth growing at a weird angle. So much so that if left untreated, it would have caused an abscess in the roof of her mouth leading to infection and the loss of her teeth.

Wouldn't you know it but they make braces for dogs. Yup, complete with the rubber bands and all. Never would of thought it possible till I was breaking my check book paying for BRACES for a dog. If I had to do it again, I would. Twenty times over. They're so worth it.

Good luck with the surgery bro.

Thanks guys. I figured there would be a few people here that that had the procedure done and could provide some feedback.

The logical side of me thinks it's nuts to spend that kind of money on a dog, but in reality, I could see selling a rifle or something if one of my pups needed work like that.

I have a Pit and my wife and I work with the local Pit rescues... I've heard of a bunch that have had knee surgeries.

My feeling is that they are sooo energetic and kinda "balls to the wall" all the time that they do damage to their bodies pushing so hard, plus they have really high tolerance for discomfort so you won't know it's a problem until you have not other option but surgery.

I knew a guys that ran his Pittie with him every day until she needed knee surgery... he never knew and she never complained until she had trouble walking.... love those dogs.

How old is she CJ?

She's 5 years old.

And I know what you mean. If you go in the backyard and throw a ball, you'd never know she had a problem. She's off like a shot!

When the vet was showing me how much extraneous movement she had in her knee yeterday was the first time (besides limping) that she has shown visible sign that it hurt.

Mine once jumped and bounced himself (6+ feet up) off of a chain link fence and up into a tree that was above the 12ft fence!... freaked me out I tried to catch him but missed. He hit the ground and rolled and I raced to see if he was okay, he sprung up and whirled around to look at me... HE HAD A FRIGGIN' OPOSSUM IN HIS MOUTH!!

5 minutes before he did a test run just running and jumping up against the fence... friggin' dog. It was some impressive shit though!

These dogs pay in the later ages for running at redline so much...

Mine is almost 7.

My wife is a surgery tech for the Ortho out here. They do SEVERAL TPLO surgeries a month. They should be able to fix it up good as new, kind of expensive but it works very good.