• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The ending of Trump's presser today was funny.

Bwahahaha, ahhhh. It is great when someone throws their bullshit back at em.

Great first step.

Who the Hell ever said that public civic response is reserved solely for society's sickos?

Might I be seeing a new trend in the offing?

Back at the turn of the 20th, there were 'Chowder and Marching Societies'.

The term seems to indicate an informal society that is controlled by its members and is not subject to outside regulation. I found a reference to Richard Nixon being in a Republican one in 1949. Another site has a Historical Preservation group saying "That they were serious preservationists not just some "Chowder and Marching Society" This quote refers to Tammany Hall in those terms though I realize the quote is not from that time:In the beginning was Aaron Burr, America's first professional politician, who in 1800 taught a chowder and marching society named Tammany Hall how to assemble lists of voters and canvass them, asking, with special urgency, if they were willing to give money. It worked so well, Burr took New York City away from a stunned Alexander Hamilton, the man who maintained that the rich had to have a voice in government.

...I would assume that "Marching Society" would refer to the Irish Proddie groups who march in the "Marching Season",
to remind others of the victory of King Billy in the Battle of the Boyne. Not much help I know....

FWIW; Me Mither's side is of Clan MacLaughlan..

What's old is often new.

Whoever told you that history is boring was either stupid or lying to you...; for me, it's downright fun.

Still active, still relevant...

In effect, we here at SH already are one...

LL, are you reading this? Maybe the SH Chowder Society could be a new, limited access forum? Perhaps one can recall the origins of the Maggie's Drawers forum?

In my callow and occasionally misspent youth (mid-20's), my friends and I formed the Apple Pan Dowdy Chowder and Marching Society, and facetiously attempted to obtain a Congressional Charter.

First rule; No Chowder... Second Rule; No Marching....

Congress was not amused...

Greg

Last edited: