• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Everyday Sniper Episode #10

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Check it out, dropped Episode 10 this AM

Episode 10 Calibers

TESLOGO.jpg

Reactions: 5RWill
    Another great podcast. For the future could you talk about the pros and cons of the HOG Saddle/ Vyce tripod mount as compared to the direct connect (SOAR Lever release & Chassis Plate). For either one I would use a ballhead or leveling head. Thanks.

I think podbeam is having issues tried listening to #9 this morning and it would play about a minute then stop. I'd hit start and it would loop back

I’ve listened to this episode a few times now. I would like to hear if frank has ever dabbled in the 155 Scenar in 308? I stuff 155 Scenars on top of 2000-mr and get 2910 out of my 20” 308 with a TB can. Blows the 175 load I had out of the water and had noticeably less recoil and really made it feel like a different gun. The 185 Jug at 2700 does shine when comparing to the Scenar past 1100 according to my ballistic software but here where I’m at 1000 is about my max as far what I have access too. Very comparable BC to the 175 matchking only going quite a bit faster. I like it. But I also just picked a an RPR in 6.5 to play with so this 308 will probably take a back seat for a bit :)

I used to shoot them a lot, not so much anymore because you have to reload them, and I really have very little interest in reloading a 308. I get some with the 185s reloaded because I can shoot far, and we have real wind here, but otherwise, I just stick to factory flair with a 308.

But we used to shoot a lot of a 155s, in fact, I used to shoot more Lapua 170gr HPS, which is a Full Metal Jacket Sniper round that has staked primers and high velocities. 2850fps out of the box with a 20"-22" 308, and a BC of .525. I have cases of the stuff. Back in the day, at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge with the dirty group, this combo won the 600-yard group on paper stage with a 3.25" in a 12MPH Wind against the likes of 7mms and 6.5s. It was the GAP Harbingers favorite flavor.

Reactions: trob_205
    Good stuff! Yea here in MI we don’t have too much wind and 1000+ yard ranges are very limited. I can get 700 on a buddies local peice of farm land and that’s where I spend most of my time shooting. Totally get your personal view of not wasting time on the 308. Mine was my only precison gun until the purchase of this RPR so I’m pretty excited to play with it.

BTW the podcast is fucking awesome... keep up the great work!

Lots to think about in this episode if I decide to get a bit more serious... It started for me after reading an article on short barrel Rem 700s so I picked up a deal on a short barrel SPS Tac in .308 to make it a fun project gun to get into a bolt action rifle and optics and have a little fun learning how to reload for rifles. You guys have me interested in shooting steel and getting out to longer ranges. Looking forward to learing more from the podcast and this forum. THANKS Frank and Mike!
    IMG_20180120_162707_597.jpg

I used to shoot them a lot, not so much anymore because you have to reload them, and I really have very little interest in reloading a 308. I get some with the 185s reloaded because I can shoot far, and we have real wind here, but otherwise, I just stick to factory flair with a 308.

But we used to shoot a lot of a 155s, in fact, I used to shoot more Lapua 170gr HPS, which is a Full Metal Jacket Sniper round that has staked primers and high velocities. 2850fps out of the box with a 20"-22" 308, and a BC of .525. I have cases of the stuff. Back in the day, at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge with the dirty group, this combo won the 600-yard group on paper stage with a 3.25" in a 12MPH Wind against the likes of 7mms and 6.5s. It was the GAP Harbingers favorite flavor.

Frank... did you ever attempt to duplicate the HPS load back when you were using it? Any idea what powder was used? If so do you have a recipe you'd share? I've got an older AW with an AI 4-16x50 PMII P4 reticle with an elevation turret calibrated for this load and marked HPS. Thx.

Guys tried replicating it back in the day, they were never successful

it was expensive to get the loaded ammo so people tried duplicating it all the time, they never got the bullet to work the same as the loaded stuff

Reactions: Norseman1950